Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Not all menu items available in TT6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Not all menu items available in TT6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know Home is stupid, this is yet another example, you are indeed reading a manual for TTN7 as HelpMe and MapShare were only introduced with TTN7 - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That indeed appears to be the case.

And if it is all I can say to anybody thinking of parting with their hard earned cash to update to TT7 when it arrives is - don't bother - the few changes are not worth it! Stick to TT6 all the time you are willing to put up with the outdated maps.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Mike, vers 6 doesnt have mapshare and just checked my Navigator 6 which is 6.20 and 675 maps, and none of the items mentioned are shown, my page for Show on Status bar has the following:
1) Remaining Time
2) Remaining Distance
3) Arrival Time
4) Current Time
5) Street Name
6) Speed
All to be checked as required, your manual does not reflect the simple information I have, do TomTom actually produce Manuals, i have only ever seen a single sheet installation guide and thats useless. mine is on asus PDA and on a Mio PDA.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help - yours is the same as mine, which further shows that I have got everything on TT6 and what I was looking at was a TT7 manual - good of TomTom to confuse me like that wasn't it - it probably keeps them crazy Dutch guys amused!

Yes TT have always done manuals - there was usually a shorter paper version (in lots of languages) with the product - its a small square book. A more detailed manual was available on the DVD with the software if you had the DVD version or a seperate CD if you had the SD card version. You could also download an electronic version from TT's website - nowadays you are supposed to use TT Home (2.3 has a button to view it), but as Mike has suggested that is not the best bit of software in the world!
Copilot for USA
MJN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Thanks for your help - yours is the same as mine, which further shows that I have got everything on TT6 and what I was looking at was a TT7 manual - good of TomTom to confuse me like that wasn't it - it probably keeps them crazy Dutch guys amused!

Peter,

Whilst it sounds like you're sorted now with regards to the confusion over v6/v7 menu items and what you should and shouldn't have you might wish to be aware that, if memory serves me correctly, there is at least one icon missing from the default v6 menus - 'Backlight Preferences'.

I'm pretty sure this icon last appeared in v5 however the setting/functionality still exists in both v6 and v7 yet the only way to change it is by customising the menu. This can be done as a one-off as the setting is peristant even without the icon present.

I only mention this point as there could well be other icons besides the above that are missing from the default menus.

Mathew
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathew

thanks for the reply and yes I am sorted for the time being.

According to my TT6 manual the backlight preferences will not be shown if the software senses that your device automatically sets backlight levels, as mine does. That is why it is not there with mine, but presumably will be there if the device did not have this facility.
Copilot for USA
MJN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you find the backlight turns off (when using TomTom) if set to do so on the device though?

With TT7 on my Diamond I found it to remain lit regardless of my device settings hence I had to add this setting to fix it.

Mathew
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathew

I have my Touch Diamond set to turn off the device and the backlight if not used for 2 minutes when on battery. However TT obviously overides this because, as you have found, it will not turn off the device or the backlight. I suspect that is because TT is telling the phone that it is still being used, even when it is stationary and nothing is moving.

However I must say that is the way I like things. When I am running TT and driving I always have the Touch Diamond in a powered mount in the car and so there is no question of it turning off, and the battery is always being charged. However I don't want it to turn off the device or backlight if I switch the ignition off for some reason (filling up for example) and thus stop power to the phone.

If I am driving without using TT then I leave my phone switched off and in my pocket and my BT handsfree picks it up anyway.

And if I am using TT without the car I don't want it to switch off automatically while I am using it.
Copilot for USA
MJN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the beauty of the setting though, you can choose one of three ways for it to behave:

1. Always on - This is the default

2. Use device settings - If you're using the device without auxiliary power then the backlight is going to drain the battery relatively quickly. This setting allows the screen to dim completely yet TomTom to still run in the background. If you've got a turn coming up it will turn the screen back on in plenty of time, give the turn instructions, wait for the turn to go, then eventually turn the screen back off (in accordance with the device timer)

3. Always on only whilst charging - This is my preferred option. If I'm in the car and running of the 12v adapter then battery power isn't an issue hence I'm happy for it to stay on. However, out on my bike I haven't got this luxury yet I want more then a couple of hours satnav use.

Note that the device will never actually turn completely off - TomTom keeps it awake, these settings are only concerned with the backlight itself.

You pays your money etc... but I just thought it worth mentioning not only because I wish TomTom had left the setting in (particularly given they still support the functionality) but also as food for thought as to what other menu items they've dropped...

Mathew
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathew

sounds interesting - so how did you customise the menu to get these options back?
Copilot for USA
MJN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant to provide the link!

As discussed in the thread I only temporarily modified the menu in order to reenable the missing icon to let me set my desired behaviour.

In previous versions I fully customised the menus but now I've decided to stick with the default layout and just get used to it - it is sub-optimal and shows very little HCI consideration but it's one less job for me to do and I'm pretty much used to the standard layout now.

Mathew
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathew

thanks for the link. I am not used to developing this sort of tweak so would be grateful of a bit of advice please.

Firstly where do I put this file in the HTC - what do you mean by "root of the device" in this context? 4GB internal memory or somewhere else.

Secondly how do I make the file - do i just use Word or Notepad or is there some other app I need, and what type of file do I save it as - .doc, .txt or other?

Finally is there a way of making this a permanent option in the my preferences part or somewhere else?

Many thanks
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Firstly where do I put this file in the HTC - what do you mean by "root of the device" in this context? 4GB internal memory or somewhere else.
The "Root" of the device is the location where you will see a number of folders named "GB Map" "voices", "zip" etc, add the SDKRegistry folder to the same area you see the folders mentioned above.

peterc10 wrote:
Secondly how do I make the file - do i just use Word or Notepad or is there some other app I need, and what type of file do I save it as - .doc, .txt or other?
Use Note Pad to make/ Edit the TomTom.mnu file, when it is complete save it to your PC's desktop and it will be"TomTom.txt" right click the file and select re-name, change the file extension from .txt to .mnu - Windows will warn you that this isn't a good idea, just OK through the warning messages (ignore them).

peterc10 wrote:
Finally is there a way of making this a permanent option in the my preferences part or somewhere else?
For a more permanent solution you will have to make a full menu text and then include the work around within the menu structure, help is available from web sites such as This One for creating custom menus, there is also a whole raft of menu related information available from Here

Take your time working out which icons you want where and customise the menu to suit what you want from it - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

again thanks for this info.

My files for maps zip voices etc are on the 4GB internal memory in the HTC, which is equivalent I guess to being on the SD card in other devices - so is that where I put it?

Guess I will probably leave any permanent change until I decide if this temporary fix is good enough! The school of hard knocks has taught me that the motto "if it aint broke don't fix it" is good for me when dealing with complicated things!
Copilot for USA
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it by trial and error. You put it in the root of the device not the internal memory and it works. Many thanks Mathew for this little fix. I have kept the file on my pc and will move it back if I need it to change the setting.

By the way mine offered me 4 choices not 3 - the extra one said "only on bike and walking routes". But instead I linked it to power.

And I am surprised that you can still see the screen reasonable well - is the backlight off or just dimmed down to minimum? Mathew - how long can your HTC run with TT on this setting before running out of power?
Copilot for USA

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: