Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi and GPS Camera Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi and GPS Camera Database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi and GPS Camera Database Reply with quote

I have a new Garmin Nuvi 255W and I've been slowly getting over the change from years of TomTom ownership.

Anyway, comfortable with it now, so time to sort out some cameras.

I was going to go with your database but today I noticed that cameras are in my Garmin already.

Now I know there is a 30 day service but I'm concerned that the Garmin cameras are part of the map data like the other POIs.

I assuming your cameras get loaded as Custom POIs so does this mean that I will end up with two cameras very close to each other, one from your database and one from Garmin's?

Also, I was very impressed that Garmin camera database knows what direction fixed cameras are pointing in. So I got a warning and an icon when going to work but none when coming home - does your database do this.

And finally, where the police are known to use mobile cameras the Garmin database puts up a warning across the whole stretch of road commonly used. Does yours do this or just identify a single point.

Thanks for the help,

Cheers,

Nigel
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi and GPS Camera Database Reply with quote

nheather wrote:
Now I know there is a 30 day service but I'm concerned that the Garmin cameras are part of the map data like the other POIs.

they are a separate gpi file (gpi = garmin point (of) interest) on the unit and not linked to the map data at all.

nheather wrote:

I assuming your cameras get loaded as Custom POIs so does this mean that I will end up with two cameras very close to each other, one from your database and one from Garmin's?

yes and no. you can turn off the garmin cameras under settings (spanner), then scroll down to 'proximity alerts' and un-tick the garmin/cyclops one.

nheather wrote:

Also, I was very impressed that Garmin camera database knows what direction fixed cameras are pointing in. So I got a warning and an icon when going to work but none when coming home - does your database do this.

while we have the data for the majority of our cameras, garmin do not allow 3rd party providors to use this functionality. it sucks. i've queried it numerous times and never get anywhere... still, from experience i can say that the pgpsw database is better than the garmin/cyclops one and i'd rather have accurate and up to date camera locations over directional warnings!

nheather wrote:

And finally, where the police are known to use mobile cameras the Garmin database puts up a warning across the whole stretch of road commonly used. Does yours do this or just identify a single point.

we identify the actual place that the mobile camera is known to have been sited.

MaFt
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Pity about the direction thing - and shame on Garmin for not supporting the industry.

Quote:
yes and no. you can turn off the garmin cameras under settings (spanner), then scroll down to 'proximity alerts' and un-tick the garmin/cyclops one.

If the Garmin cameras are in a seperate file can I not just remove that file and that way just have one set of cameras (from your database).

Cheers,

Nigel
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nheather wrote:
If the Garmin cameras are in a seperate file can I not just remove that file and that way just have one set of cameras (from your database).

you can, but in general we tend to recommend changing settings on a device rather than removing a file. just in case the user in question isn't that 'technical' :D

there is a file called speedcams.gpi or cyclops.gpi (something obvious anyway) in the device\Garmin folder

MaFt
Beefheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi and GPS Camera Database Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
nheather wrote:

Also, I was very impressed that Garmin camera database knows what direction fixed cameras are pointing in. does your database do this.

while we have the data for the majority of our cameras, garmin do not allow 3rd party providors to use this functionality. it sucks. i've queried it numerous times and never get anywhere...

MaFt

Anyone understand how the Garmin (presumably through its firmware) allows directional functionality to its own POIs but denies this to Custom POIs? Must be something to do with how/where the POIs are stored and/or accessed.

I value directional alerts and Garmin should understand that next time I purchase a Sat. Nav. this problem may well steer me away from their products unless resolved. Presumably others will feel the same.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone understand how the Garmin (presumably through its firmware) allows directional functionality to its own POIs but denies this to Custom POIs? Must be something to do with how/where the POIs are stored and/or accessed.

Only Garmin know this. Their own GPI files are encrypted so we can't work out how they have done it. It would be nice to work it out but there maybe legal implications in doing so.

Were we able to include the data PGPSW would have done as has already been done with another brand.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Were we able to include the data PGPSW would have done as has already been done with another brand.

3 in fact: igo (myguide/binatone etc), copilot 7 and drivesmart

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3 in fact: igo (myguide/binatone etc), copilot 7 and drivesmart

Yes, that's what i meant but i have a faulty keyboard and can't type "3" or the "s" that should have gone on the end of brand.....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: