Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - McGuider Sat Nav software with Teleatlas mapping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

McGuider Sat Nav software with Teleatlas mapping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhb wrote:
Well now, here we go again. I thought I'd left this feature behind on the i3 unit but no, it happened with McGuider on my return from the airport. It routed me home by a totally different route to the one it chose to take me there. Why does this happen at all? It's seemingly across manufacturers.

navigation software is a computer. it cannot think like a human. therefore lots of different factors come into play.

eg: a left turn is 'faster' than a right turn because you do not need to cut across an extra lane of traffic. so your route home can be different due to lots of different little things like that.

MaFt
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes MaFt, I do see what you are saying but when we are talking about such very different routing I cannot help but think that something is lacking in the routing algorithm.

Incidentally, have you yet had a chance to see if anything might be possible regarding a speed camera download for the latest version of McGuider? Judging from this and other forums this software does seem to be taking off.

This might be worth a look. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gps/112477-sygic-drive-pc-3.html
Romanzauk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm using the latest McGuider.

You can use the tomtom OV2 Consolidated Camera database but needs to be converted to the McGuider .UPI format. once converted the files need to be copied to the map\GBR folder.

You can change the Icons by copying the Icon files to res\icons I found the 22 x 22 256bit Icons worked the best.

The sound warnings can be modified by downloading the consolidated tomtom voice files rename the file extension from .OGG to .WAV and the file name has to be changed to Beep Beep2 I.E PocketGPS_uk_gatso.ogg to beep.wav these are stored in the res\sounds folder.

By the way McGuider is still in Beta, so still in the development phase. There are a few bugs to be sorted (Hopefully) one is the routing although there is an alternative route button.

There seems to be a bug in the address search. You may see two or more listings for the same town, but you find the street you are looking for on one but not both of the listings.

Other than that well worth keeping your eye on as a suitable alternative to TomTom who if the reports are to belived are dropping out of the PDA market..... Sad
Dave
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romanzauk wrote:

Other than that well worth keeping your eye on as a suitable alternative to TomTom who if the reports are to belived are dropping out of the PDA market..... Sad
Dave

In reality they have been out of the PDA market for a long time now. (In terms of usual s/w development timescales). The 'new' V7 is only going to be on specified devices and still won't have the functionality of their stand-alone range judging by early reports.

You could always take a look at the Garmin XT s/w - it runs on suitable Windows Mobile and Symbian phones. It is compatable with their stand alone units and uses the same mapping. Integrated solution from laptop (using nRoute) to handheld. Not the world's cheapest solution - but it does work.
Romanzauk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Garmin XT and indeed many others on my lowly Mio 168 DigiWalker It like many others lagged by upto 100 yds in some cases with XT the voice directions after the turn.......
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know McGuider was in beta form when I bought it! How do you known this?
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having problems following Romanzauk's method of loading in the latest TomTom speedcamera database.

I've converted the Ov2 files to upi format using the application 'Ov2Upi Translator 2.1' and loaded them (with card reader) into McGuider folder 'maps/gbr', with the same file names (obviously except for the file type description). I've also converted the icons to 8 bit (256 colours) and similarly loaded them into McGuider file 'Res/icons' folder.

Problem is that McGuider runs exactly as it did before and the new files are ignored, not being listed via the 'Manage POI' menu nor anywhere else that I can find.

Romanzauk, or anyone else, got any advice please? What am I doing wrong?
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can now answer my own question. 'Ov2Upi Translator 2.1' is out of date and will not work with latest TomTom files. 'Ov2Upi Translator 2.3' is what I ought to have been using and this has solved the problem.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a while since I have been here but with the lack of support for phones from TomTom I have decided to purchase the Mcguider solution. It looks very impressive.

Any chance of Pocket GPS World releasing the camera database i a format for Mcguider so that I do not have to convert it?

Would make my life so much easier?
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
ednwireland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got the mcguider software looks very impressive i just converted a set of sygic pois to give me a set of speed cameras.
the mapping seems a s good as route 66 in terms of detail and more up to date than the old route 66 and has and all of europe as well so cant complain esp at 40 odd euro
chris123
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romanzauk wrote:
The sound warnings can be modified by downloading the consolidated tomtom voice files rename the file extension from .OGG to .WAV and the file name has to be changed to Beep Beep2 I.E PocketGPS_uk_gatso.ogg to beep.wav these are stored in the res\sounds folder.

Thanks Dave - I was scratching my head at how to get the custom sound alaerts to work - this sorted it.

Cheers

Chris
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking of getting MgGuider for my HTC touch diamond. The only slight problem is that it has 4GB internal memory rather than an SD slot and McGuider being tied to the SD card it comes on. I know I can get McGuider on to the internal memory, because it allows one copy but I am worried about the amount of space I will have left for music etc, especially if I want both Europe and US maps.

I understand that the maps are broken down into countries. Can these be moved on and off the card/memory as many times as you like without having the problem with the McGuider's one copy only rule , or does that only aply to the software? If so I can reduce the space taken up on the internal memory by just having the maps I need at the time on it, and copy others if and when I need them.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pull the map folders off the internal memory and put them back on as often as you like, the activation isn't locked to the map folders - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yet again Mike
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
chris123
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have noticed are some strange routings and voice commands:

1. Travelling Portsmouth to Poole, it picked a very strange route, possibly because of incorrect speed limit information. On a 7 mile stretch into Poole, the actual speed limit is a mix of 40, 50 and 60mph zones, Mcguider had the whole stretch down as 30mph, presumably why it figured that the different route it chose was faster?

2. On the same trip into Poole, there is a roundabout with 3 exits. The correct route was second exit, straight on. The map showed this correctly, the direction indicator pointed towards the first exit, and the voice command was 'turn left - take the 3rd exit' Confused If anyone wants to try this, create a route from Gravel Hill, Poole to West Quay Road, Poole and run the route demo.

3. The same thing happened driving up the A3 northbound before taking the M25 anti clockwise / eastbound. The map showed correctly that I should take the third exit, the voice command said 'take the second exit straight on', ie rejoin the A3 northbound.

4. Heading eastbound on the A12 past Maldon, Mcguider showed me driving off road (to the left of the road) for a distance of about 5 miles. I'm not sure if this could be a hardware issue (seems unlikely as it was fine for the previous 100+ miles?) or a mapping issue (I don't think that section of the A12 has changed in many years?)

Has anyone else seen similar issues? Mapopolis gave me occasional odd routes but the voice command and road tracking were always spot on - this number of issues in just two routes seems on the high side to me? I don't know how this compares with TomTom/ Navigon / Copilot etc?

Cheers

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: