Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Harman Kardon GPS 500
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Harman Kardon GPS 500
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
granite-silver
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Maxrom"]For anyone interested in customising this unit, having found nothing on the web, I had a go myself with good results.

I've put full instructions on my blog here:

http://maxromblog.spaces.live.com[/quote

Very nice Maxrom - did you get the TMC to work with your new update ?
Maxrom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no TMC I'm afraid, but I'm working on it. Would be great to get the unit to pick up over the air TMC as it should do, but to date, still no joy Sad

If I do have any success I'll post the full details on my blog.
Maxrom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: voice Reply with quote

Ctony wrote:
Maxrom, I too would rather a female voice, as I am used to my wife telling me what to do. I think the company has played a little joke on us.

having said that, the voice is ok and very calming. so I am not too upset about it. I have heard one gps with a male voice that sounded like a butler.

If it is not made available, at some point I am sure some one will find a way to view and change the files on the system. Once this has been done, it would be possible to change the voice.
Unless of course HK decide to give us a utility to change the voice.

In any case, this is still a real bargain.

Tony

Very Happy

Take a look at my blog here :

http://maxromblog.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!3FE9A9309C32CFA4!147.entry

That will show you how to get a femail voice onto this unit, with a link to the voice file you'll need to get it working.
granite-silver
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: voice Reply with quote

Maxrom wrote:
Ctony wrote:
Maxrom, I too would rather a female voice, as I am used to my wife telling me what to do. I think the company has played a little joke on us.

having said that, the voice is ok and very calming. so I am not too upset about it. I have heard one gps with a male voice that sounded like a butler.

If it is not made available, at some point I am sure some one will find a way to view and change the files on the system. Once this has been done, it would be possible to change the voice.
Unless of course HK decide to give us a utility to change the voice.

In any case, this is still a real bargain.

Tony

Very Happy

Take a look at my blog here :

http://maxromblog.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!3FE9A9309C32CFA4!147.entry

That will show you how to get a femail voice onto this unit, with a link to the voice file you'll need to get it working.

Very Happy Thank you Maxrom - great post on voice change from male to female. Very Happy
Keep up the good work mate. Very Happy
ChrisKav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxrom,

I have a gps 300 which is similar to the 500, but it does not have video playback.

If I rename explorer.exe (from windows folder) cmp.exe, will it launch into explorer when audio main screen icon is pressed?

I know you recommend using a externally loaded file explorer in your blog, but could I not use the internal explorer.exe already there?
ChrisKav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I've managed to get the iGO8 GPS bit to work on my Harmon Kardon GPS 300 PNA (wince 5.0).

Now when I try and activate TMC (autodetect) the screen goes white. The presets for TMC start from 1 not 0. My port for TMC is 0.
BTW, my unit does have a built in FM TMC receiver.

I have tried adding this to sys.txt...but nothing.

[interface]
tmc=1

[tmc]
port=0
speed=38400

Can I set TMC in a script somewhere without going through the normal screen way?

Any ideas anyone...please help someone, I really need TMC to work.
Maxrom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not been able to get TMC to work I'm afraid. The original iGO software suggests you need port 0 for TMC, although I'm not convinced. If you select com 3 or com 6 you'll get a white screen, so avoid those. Best results I've had so far are to pick com 2 in iGO 8, and then tell it to auto detect the TMC unit. It cycles through them, but never actually finds it. If you have any success with this, please post your findings as I too would like TMC working...! Smile
HUDengineer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: TMC and the GPS500 Reply with quote

Maxrom wrote:
Still no TMC I'm afraid, but I'm working on it. Would be great to get the unit to pick up over the air TMC as it should do, but to date, still no joy Sad

If I do have any success I'll post the full details on my blog.

Hi Maxrom, et al.

This is my first post, so if I'm stating the obvious, or I've misunderstood what was said to me, please put me right. I rang Harman Kardon today and spoke to a pleasant chap in technical support. I asked about the TMC and he explained that in some part of Europe, Traffic Info is broadcast freely to everyone. Elsewhere it is licenced. Only units for which the manufacturer has paid the relevant licence fee are able to receive and display the Traffic Advice in that country. In general in the UK, a licence fee needs to be paid, but Harman Kardon did not purchase a licence. Apparently it would have added about £25 to the cost of each unit. The licence cannot be purchased by an individual (unlike in the USA, I believe, but if you were to load the US firmware...I'm not sure what would happen). Because the GPS500WE was packaged and targetted at no specific country in Western Europe, Harman Kardon didn't spell out to purchasers where TMC would and would not be available in Europe. So it does it, but not here...except that apparently tech support have heard from some customers that their units have displayed traffic data; it seems that a free transmission service has been operating (perhaps intermittently/unintentionally) around Leeds. Otherwise, expect no joy with your GPS500 until TMC becomes free, or until you reach parts of the continent where you can pick up the free service.

I asked about map updates - he said to keep an eye on CarAudioDirect.com, where he said USA maps for downloading to SD memory might also be found, but I have yet to explore that.

I asked about their choice of a male voice - he said he helped evaluate some of the voices, and the male voice had been deemed better than any of the four female voices they had tried. So that is all we got. I may get back to him and see if he can offer the other voices for us to try, if anyone wants. Maxrom, I'm not sure where you found the femail voice data, but thanks to your endeavours, I shall try it out.

Regards,
ChrisKav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxrom,

check your PM
HUDengineer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Harman Kardon GPS-500 Battery/Fault Reply with quote

My GPS-500 had little use in the two months I'd had it, and often, when I picked it up, I would find the battery was flat, just days after being fully charged. Then it became uttery and completely dead. No life on either in-car charger or mains-USB adapter, and no response to the reset button either. It was returned for repair, but after 3 weeks a credit note for £99 turned up...so, time to find a better product, if not a better deal.

Last edited by HUDengineer on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
OccsE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi!

I've a 410. How can i upload new maps?

thx

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: