Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW:TomTom Bluetooth Remote Control - worth the money?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW:TomTom Bluetooth Remote Control - worth the money?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My remote arrived today. I thought I was having a problem opening it to put the batteries in as reported above but then I found it's easy if you push on the release atr the same tome as sliding it. It paired easily once I took it out of its cradle, it though I was driving and wouldn't pair. I haven't used it in the car yet but have been trying it out inside and it seems excellent.

I don't programme the device while driving because I have to stretch quite far forward to reach it. But I have been known to change the volume while driving. The remote will make that easier. A bonus if using jukebox is the ability to change tracks without going through the menus.

On balance I'd say it's well worth having for the £18ish that Amazon wanted. It is on eBay and elsewhere for around double that.
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm thick and couldn't open it but it would be nice to have some sensible instructions about what the buttons do (particulalry the bumpy bits under the main control ring) without finding out by trial and error. All my 920 came with was an unintelligible piece of card.

Jon
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came with an instruction leaflet in several languages which was very clear, and a setting up guide, and a credit card sized card both of which were hard to understand.

Opening is wierd but works if you push down on the release catch and slide it in the direction of the arrow at the same time.
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
Mine came with an instruction leaflet in several languages which was very clear, and a setting up guide, and a credit card sized card both of which were hard to understand.

set up guide and credit card guide only with my 920 - both incomprehensible. No instruction leaflet.

Jon
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you managed to get it set up? If not, I'll see if i can scan it later & email it to you. You might get the instructions on TT's website though. I know you can get them for the devices.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User Guide on TTs website http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/remote-control/Remote-Control-User-Guide.pdf Looks as though it's the same at the one that came with my remote.
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great, thanks calomax

guess the full manual is not provided when remote is bundled with PND unless I was just unlucky

Jon
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sven1 wrote:
also means the kids can control the mp3 player from the back seat

Jon

Is this a good point?

For me (and I know I will be shot down because I havent seen or tried the remote) but what is the point in having a remote? If you can't mount the PND on your windscreen or within easy reach are you really going to be able to read it?

I used to have a laptop with USB GPS mouse and Autoroute. The laptop was on the passenger seat (or floor when I stopped quickly). I can honestly tell you that that was one of the most unsafe setup's. Looking over at the laptop (17") was dangerous. Point is - if the PND (4") is out of reach (and you shouldn't be touching it anyway whilst driving) then I doubt a remote control and binoculars will be any safer.

Right - ready to be shot down.

Gun Shoot Out Pistol Shoot Out On Fire
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, we're friendly here, we don't shoot down.

Think about the core features of a navigation system. There are just two of them

- good voice guidance
- automatic rerouting when you missed the turn

The screen is just a nice add-on to help you at complex intersections, or to get a feel of where the route is going. During navigation you should not need the screen.

If you look at it this way then the remote helps you to avoid interacting with the screen.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Lutz
Thanks for the answer to the above and my earlier similar question.
OK remote controls rule OK. Very Happy

@ Lola
See- neither of us got shot down..... yet Confused
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly do not use the remote for programming the device while driving That can all be done before you set off. But it is great for changing volume which is sometimes necessary while driving, and which is quite awkward without the remote.

You can also use it to select the next music track, although I admit that isn't a good idea while driving. But say you are stopped at a red light, it's one press on the remote's button instead of going through a series of menus only to find the lights have changed before you've got back to the driving view.
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Does it work with TT Nav on bluetooth phones? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the remote with Navigator 6 on a bluetooth-enabled phone/PDA?

(With apologies if this has been covered, but I can't see it).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't work with a PDA, it is difficult to even see the remote control from the PC when trying to work out what sentences it sends to the device - Mike
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my son has Blue tooth on his 520 and it was good for the phone etc.. even the text messages came up on the screen and spoke the words -- well nearly any way...

problem was when he changed his phone to a different one -- it would not do the text messages...

I offered to give him his old phone back -- he had given it to me -- but no way..

so He at the moment is a bit disappointed with the messaging side of tom.
But he likes the voice activation of places etc -- very handy

apart from that he thinks it OK.

Maurice

Last edited by Fibre on Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Remote controle is very handy at times Reply with quote

I have the 920 and I can see if you are by yourself it might not be as handy to operate as touch screen or VR but if you are traveling with someone else I find it handy for them to operate the remote for directions etc. etc. I will say when you have to try touching the screen white driving it is not only unsafe but also awkward to spell out words as you are jittering down the road the remote takes that all away.

REMOTE ROCKS!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: