Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iGO 8 Europe - Reviewed!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iGO 8 Europe - Reviewed!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szetok wrote:
I have tried the demo version of I-Go 8 and I have come against another problem. as well as the time zone problem.

When the program is installed, all was well, but now, the backlight turns its self off after a few seconds and no matter what settings I adjust it makes no difference, I can not get the backlight to stay on.

Just a thought, but is this with batteries or mains power?

It might be a power saving feature
efjay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative review, thanks. Of all the nav programs out or scheduled for the near future this is the one that looks most complete to me. I do wish software makers would add TTS and stop making excuses about device hardware being insufficient. Practically all devices now are packing builtin GPS and they have the hardware to handle it. And if they cant why not make it an option? I still have Destinator PN which has TTS and you do have the option to install and enable it so I am suspicious that all these GPS programs years later are unable to implement an improved system and instead blame the hardware.

One question regarding iGo, is Teleatlas now on par with Navteq with regards to data accuracy? Thanks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@szetok: That was a bug in the beta and demo versions. Fixed now.
@efjay: iGuidance 4 is another example that it can be done. The TTS engine is very decent. Also, Mobium are of note - they use some dirty tricks to produce very high quality pseudo TTS. So you do have plenty choices.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get hold of the iGO 8 demo version Question
ramsses
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz and I are beta testers - but we're under NDA and cannot discuss what we're working on. You'll just have to trust us Wink

Andy
mbanbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Disappointing Reply with quote

I gave it a go and found it disappointing to be honest, compared to Tom Tom 6 (which is looking quite elderly now).

The screen is far too cluttered. It doesn't show basic stuff, such as estimated time of arrival. You have to touch part of the screen for it to work. I'd rather have that than a stupid compass.

There is also no "Advanced Planning" from what I could tell.

Rather incredibly, you cannot have speed cameras displayed if you are in "Simple" mode. Additionally, there is no way to set an alarm for any other form of POI. It's got to be speed cameras. Oh and you can't change the alert either. You are stuck with an annoying beep which goes off far too often.

Sure the 3D buildings are sexy, but I would rather have the simplicity of Tom Tom any day.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Disappointing Reply with quote

mbanbrook wrote:
It doesn't show basic stuff, such as estimated time of arrival. You have to touch part of the screen for it to work. I'd rather have that than a stupid compass.

you can customise which 3 things are shown on there. in the trip computer click the small boxes (see image below) to choose the position of each item you want showing.

mbanbrook wrote:

There is also no "Advanced Planning" from what I could tell.

find your start point, click 'more options' then set it as the start. add all your end point int he same way, add any via points etc. then, from the main menu, go to route' and make any edits then save it. you can then load it at a later date.

mbanbrook wrote:

Rather incredibly, you cannot have speed cameras displayed if you are in "Simple" mode.

how odd... i'd not noticed that - i only went to simple mode to see what it offered but never navigated using it. i had (wrongly) presumed that everything was the same aside from the menus.

mbanbrook wrote:

Additionally, there is no way to set an alarm for any other form of POI. It's got to be speed cameras. Oh and you can't change the alert either. You are stuck with an annoying beep which goes off far too often.

i've never had need to be alerted to the location of morrisons!! Laughing Out Loud, seriously, what POIs do people want alerting for?

MaFt
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schools and playgrounds come to mind.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an odd speed camera problem - traveling out of London on the M3 I came to the SPECS area with a 50 limit at Junction 2 (M25) - it continued to give the speed warning all the way to junction 3 (several miles after the limit ended). My cameras are up to date and the area with the 50mph limit hasn't changed in well over a year.
On the plus side the directional side works - it didn't warn me going the other way.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IGO thinks that SPECS work in pairs. They show the average speed between two cams then stops averaging. When a third is encountered, it starts averaging again, but if there is not a fourth, it just keeps on doing it. Bug??? Oversight??? Non understanding of how SPECS work in UK?????. But it's about time they got it right, even if it requires a manual cancellation at the end of the zone.
The MioMap 3.2 software, which is based on an earlier IGO allows the cancellation of a specs zone by tapping the speed cam icon.
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
IGO thinks that SPECS work in pairs. They show the average speed between two cams then stops averaging. When a third is encountered, it starts averaging again, but if there is not a fourth, it just keeps on doing it. Bug??? Oversight??? Non understanding of how SPECS work in UK?????. But it's about time they got it right, even if it requires a manual cancellation at the end of the zone.
The MioMap 3.2 software, which is based on an earlier IGO allows the cancellation of a specs zone by tapping the speed cam icon.

Trouble is there are only 2 cameras - 1 in and 1 out, none between.
ramsses
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackrat62 wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

Trouble is there are only 2 cameras - 1 in and 1 out, none between.

The SPECs support is a bit broken actually - a known issue that the developers are fully aware of and how it should work - I'm sure it will be fixed soon!

I currently do a search/replace on the TXT file to change ,4, to ,1, - i.e. treat them as fixed cameras for now...

Andy
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running this on my HTC TYTN II (together with TomTom and Garmin software!) - there is still enough memory for it to run smoothly and on this device. I can answer the phone and it will turn on again if I press the power button off (unlike the less powerful device on test). It did say "lost satellite reception" just after I ended the call but re-locked again quickly: not sure if this is a memory glitch or just my TYTN as it does very occasionaly lose reception for short periods even with clear view to the sky. Each of the software have pluses and minuses: TomTom is easiest to use (with poor camera warning and poor maps), garmin has great maps and good camera warning(but is slow running - to load and recalculate a route), and IGO8 runs very well if not as intuitive and more cluttered than the others. Overall very impressed with IGO8.

Thanks for the advice Andy - I will try that as the continuous warning gets a bit tiresome.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramsses wrote:

The SPECs support is a bit broken actually - a known issue that the developers are fully aware of and how it should work - I'm sure it will be fixed soon!

Andy

I'm a great fan of the IGO stuff but I'm not holding my breath for a fix on the SPECS problem. It's been broken for well over two years now. I have a 2006-1 version of MIoMap 3.2.
I don't know how they can fix the end of section problem without the cam being flagged as a 'last cam' but I suspect that that method would also not be reliable. The MioMap3.2 calculates the average between two cams OK, unfortunately it does it in KPH. I have made a lookup table to convert to MPH.
I think that the best idea would be to calculate the average between the first two cams, then no two and three etc. and leave it up to the user to cancel when out of the specs zone.
Although I find the 3.2 display a bit cluttered, once you get used to it, it's fine.
ramsses
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry - they're on the case with it! Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: