Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom GO 530T or GO 520UK. Advice on either please.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom GO 530T or GO 520UK. Advice on either please.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WWWombat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
EXCEPT OF COURSE... on this route, if you get stuck behind a slow moving HGV with no place to overtake, your journey will realistically be MUCH longer than if it had of used the slightly more lenghty motorway option.

In short, a BAD route will have been generated, as a result of choosing Limited Speed.

A theoretical extension to a theoretical post, but my take on this would be that having the IQ routes would then factor in the actual/average speed of a road, rather than the signed limit.

The "limited speed" option would only start to have an effect on the route chosen when the "limited speed" ends up lower than the actual/average speed.

So if a road is usually crammed with slow-moving HGV traffic, then IQ routes will already know about it, and factor it in.

Mike
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
As an experiment I just planned the same route twice. Using fastest route, it was 238 miles but at limited speed of 55mph it was 203 miles so it did plan a different route, although it still used some Toll roads.

AHA.

And, as the LIMITED SPEED route gives a SHORTER distance, it could reasonably be assumed, that it is indeed then using more 'direct' A Roads, as opposed to the 'faster' but longer distance wise, motorways, when no speed restriction is imposed.

Thus the mileage being LESS when using Limited Speeds - as that route is likely to be using a more 'direct' route by utilising large swathes of A roads then, instead of Motorways, as in the normal routing calculation.

Cheers mate - looks like it's true then.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWWombat wrote:
shadamehr wrote:
EXCEPT OF COURSE... on this route, if you get stuck behind a slow moving HGV with no place to overtake, your journey will realistically be MUCH longer than if it had of used the slightly more lenghty motorway option.

In short, a BAD route will have been generated, as a result of choosing Limited Speed.

A theoretical extension to a theoretical post, but my take on this would be that having the IQ routes would then factor in the actual/average speed of a road, rather than the signed limit.

The "limited speed" option would only start to have an effect on the route chosen when the "limited speed" ends up lower than the actual/average speed.

So if a road is usually crammed with slow-moving HGV traffic, then IQ routes will already know about it, and factor it in.

Mike

Except for one thing you forget that invalidates your suspicion...

That once you choose "Limited Speed", (or indeed any other of the routing options for that matter), you TURN OFF IQ Routes, as per the first few posts in this thread.

So once you utilise Limited Speed, it will then NOT use historic data of actual speeds and traffic densities, for the slower A Roads, and thus will NOT know that this A Road is often subject to slow lorries.

With me?

So it WILL still suggest an A Road, as opposed to Motorway, if it is even the most marginal of distances shorter, when using "Limited Speed" routes.

As it doesn't USE IQ Data when choosing limited speed as the routing choice, so will make NO allowance for it being full of lorries, as it won't even KNOW this at that point then.

Hope that makes sense, but it disproves your otherwise sound point you raise.

Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
once you choose "Limited Speed", (or indeed any other of the routing options for that matter), you TURN OFF IQ Routes, as per the first few posts in this thread.

Where did you get this information? In the "as per the first few posts in this thread", only MikeAlder comments about IQ routes, saying that he has found them better for his own journey to work, but he did NOT say it is turned off if you choose "other routing options". In this thread, only you have suggested IQ routing is turned off by selecting anything other than Fastest Route.

The only information I've seen about IQ routing is TomTom's sales talk and Lutz Bendlin's statement that it uses historical (year old?) data collected from users. Where does your information about how IQ routing works come from please? For example, if you select a Limited Speed (or any other) option, does the device post a warning that you have now turned off IQ routes? Does the TomTom manual say Limited Speed turns off IQ routes?

TomTom's Guided Tour for Planning preferences on x20s says
Quote:
'Limited speed' is for vehicles that cannot go above a certain speed. If this speed is less than 65km/h, motorways are avoided.
What does it say on x30s?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IQ Routes mode is enabled when you plan using the following profiles:
Fastest
Avoid Motorway
Limited Speed

IQ Routes is disabled when you plan using the following profiles:
Shortest
Walking
Bicycle

There is no option to turn it on or off it is used when the route is planned depending upon the route profile you choose

You are even told what the device has done on the route overview screen:

- Mike

Edit once to alter image Embarassed

Last edited by mikealder on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, that seems to clear that up!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Mike.

Thanks Mike, I NEVER realised that about IQ Routes STILL being utilised on Limited Speed routing. That's handy news, and negates the other post I made to the user who said it should then still take into account the slower A Roads, and I said "No it won't". It will - or at least 'should'.

@ Dennis.

On a certain 'other' forum, where this was pretty well discussed. Forgive me, and no discredit to this site, but it isn't the ONLY one. For obvious reasons, ihich I am perfectly entitled to in terms of not drawing attention to where else I frequent, I will forego mentioning where, but as you likely know the main other sites, yes, it's 'that' one.

At no point did I state, or imply it was on 'here' Dennis.

Trust that clarifies.

Mike's post was highly useful. Indeed your own information about what Limited Speed is MEANT to do, according to the TT Statement was very enlightening too Dennis.

But it doesn't impact upon the actual testing done, by the users on said other site, nor Calomax's real world experience of it, as hinted at on here. This in effect, is all I ever claimed.

I trust that helps then. And I can't seem to word this without making it sound abrupt - so 100%, this is not my intent - genuinely, I had not seen that statement from TT about how it is meant to work before, so it was useful. Thanks.
Studio_two
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
AHA - Confirmed on the TomTom site - the 530 has only 1GB of Internal Memory, NOT 4GB, as claimed. So this means no Europe maps at a later stage, unless you can somehow buy them by persuading TT, then putting it on a an External SD Card.

So another consideration for you.

Hello,

Is it not possible to purchase a European Map (or a even North American one for that matter) on an SD card at a later date?

TIA,
Stephen
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studio_two wrote:
Is it not possible to purchase a European Map (or a even North American one for that matter) on an SD card at a later date?
Yes, you can purchase maps on SD card, or simply purchase the map and download it to your own SD card (this works out slightly cheaper IIRC) - the x30 units will support SDHC card format so you can use a much larger capacity card for music/ maps etc, although for use with maps I would stick to a 4GB card, 8 and 16GB are best left for music - Mike
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Studio_two wrote:
Yes, you can purchase maps on SD card, or simply purchase the map and download it to your own SD card (this works out slightly cheaper IIRC) - the x30 units will support SDHC card format so you can use a much larger capacity card for music/ maps etc, although for use with maps I would stick to a 4GB card, 8 and 16GB are best left for music - Mike

Mike,

Point is, what about the new thing whereby TomTOm will only let you purchase the corresponding map for your relevant device.

How does that work again...?

That was my worry here. Perhaps you know of a work-around to the new limit TT brought in allegedly?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
Perhaps you know of a work-around to the new limit TT brought in allegedly?
No work around rest assured. Visit the website, go to the map shop, choose 530/530T and it RECOMMENDS Western Europe map (and offers others such as Eastern Europe and North America). It also particularly adds that you need to ensure your SD card is big enough.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue of TomTom only giving you specific maps for your device is all about the map SIZE not the territory.
Maps for any place can be added to any TomTom.

But they are trying to make people only use the smaller (i.e. more compressed) maps on machines with small internal memories even though the larger ones usually seem to work fine if put on an SD card.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I'm beginning to understand this a bit better (bear in mind all though, it was not me that discovered any limitation - I just read about it, hence why I said "allegedly").

As you say Dennis, it seems that indeed, TT are happy to allow a limited memory space 530 owner to purchase and download a 1.6GB map of Western Europe (and thus NEED an SD Card).

But a 730 User still can't by an alternative version map than what he is meant to be using, AND cannot buy a Western and Central Europe 2GB Map, that LMG DOES allow for however, as this is not offered if you go to the shop.

All very weird, if you ask me, how they have decided to permit certain things.

Also I did think I mentioned at the start that it was an option, an SD card for the user, but just difficult. Perhaps not so difficult as seems now thouugh.

But the map alone costs MORE than the difference he could have a 730 with the bigger Western AND CENTRAL Europe Map on already for, just like I said.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
Cheers mate - looks like it's true then.

I can confirm it's true, as I often use limited speed when driving a truck. If you want an example try planning a route from Poynton, Cheshire to Saffron Lane, Leicester using fastest route and then limited speeds of 55 and 50. But I tend to go the long way round anyway to avoid the worst of the hills. The truck doesn't do hills at all well.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
@ Dennis.

On a certain 'other' forum, where this was pretty well discussed. Forgive me, and no discredit to this site, but it isn't the ONLY one.

At no point did I state, or imply it was on 'here' Dennis.
Thanks for that. With my VERY limited internet experience, I only know of yournav, but the software for that site is a mystery to me. When I tried to search for IQ Routing, I got zilch, so I obviously am pretty hopeless at that (it's the reason I don't post there - can't work out how to get into the forums - totally different from in here). When I tried to search for your posts, all I got was your profile! Could you give me a link please? At least I can manage to scroll! If you'd rather not post it in public, perhaps you'd PM me the link please?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: