Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Own POI's on ver 8.01
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Own POI's on ver 8.01
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Own POI's on ver 8.01 Reply with quote

Hi Im using 720 with nav 8.01 and over the years in a number of versions of TT used to create large number of ov2files and associated bitmaps and load into TT and use with no problems.
Think I followed same procedure this time but no option to enable you POI. Furthermore when you follow option to add POI,s your lead down TT icon/description only route, of no use to me...........

Have I missed something, can you still create and display your own TT POI's.

Cheers
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems with user POIs on my 720 still running v7.

No 720 will have been sold with v8 on it, so did your custom POIs load and work OK before you upgraded it?

As the v8 software only appeared as a download on Home for a matter of hours and was then "pulled" again by TomTom, I'd suggest that it is an unstable upgrade, that's why I haven't bothered to try it yet.
Do you have a backup of the Go you can go back to?

Also, in your post...
Quote:
Think I followed same procedure this time

Which was? Be easier to try to work out what might be going wrong if we knew what you'd done.

Quote:

Furthermore when you follow option to add POI,s your lead down TT icon/description only route,

Don't understand what you mean by this....
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I have no problems with user POIs on my 720 still running v7.

No 720 will have been sold with v8 on it, so did your custom POIs load and work OK before you upgraded it?

Yes

Andy_P wrote:
As the v8 software only appeared as a download on Home for a matter of hours and was then "pulled" again by TomTom, I'd suggest that it is an unstable upgrade, that's why I haven't bothered to try it yet.
Do you have a backup of the Go you can go back to?

Err no....

Andy_P wrote:
Also, in your post...
Quote:
Think I followed same procedure this time

Which was? Be easier to try to work out what might be going wrong if we knew what you'd done.

using make ov2 routine create files from csv data and bmp image

Quote:

Furthermore when you follow option to add POI,s your lead down TT icon/description only route,

Don't understand what you mean by this....

The routine for adding POI appears to have changed from my previous version ie th eoption to enable POI seems to have gone Crying or Very sad

Cheers

Edited by GPS_fan to correct quotes
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opps aplogies, made a right pigs ear with the quoting Embarassed Embarassed
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used "make ov2". Have you tried "POI Edit" http://www.poiedit.com/ That has never faled to produce a compatible ov2 file for me so far.

Can't really help with the missing "enable POI" on the menus as I haven't touched v8 yet.
As you know, on v7 there wasn't actually an "enable POIs" but there is a "show POIs on map" on page one of the preferences menu, and there's a "warn when near POIs" set up as a sub-menu of the "manage POIs" on page two of the preferences menu.

Which one (or both) are you missing? That might give a clue to someone else with v8 on an x20
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear with me just moved from TT ONE,520 and now 720 in matter of couple of months (nice man @ work)
Show POI on map offers Show POI category on map from TT POI menu.
Manage POI give Add POI category which when selected take you to text box. Enter text then OK then takes you to number of TT created Markers/pictures for things like business/travel etc but nowhere can I find option to select POI files I have created.
TT support being very non committal ATM and its still possible that I have done something silly.....

cheers
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add POIs using ov2 and bmp files that you've created yourself you just copy the files from your pc to the map folder on the device using Windows Explorer.

But make sure you back up the device to your pc using Windows Explorer first (see #1 on the FAQs Page)
Samsung Galaxy S21
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said, if you have the ov2 file, and the corresponding .bmp file for the icon, you simply place these, using Windows Explorer or whatever you prefer, in the correct location on the device - that is, in the relevant named Map Folder.

Once you have added them here, then on the device, you simply go into Change Preferences :- Show POI on Map

And in the list, you should see the relevant POI set.

If you don't you have some other problem, or have done something wrong, as we can all confirm that the procedure, and behaviour, has not changed from version 7 of NavCore, to version 8, nor from a x20 device, as I owned, to a x30 device, such as the 730 I now have.

So make sure you are putting the relevant ov2 files in the right place, and then Change Preferences :- Show POI on Map.

Also, as hinted at, you are SURe this is valid, legitimate real ov2 file too, not just simply a text file with an extension artificailly changed etc...?
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:

Also, as hinted at, you are SURe this is valid, legitimate real ov2 file too, not just simply a text file with an extension artificially changed etc...?

Its an in house developed routine based around OV2 that has worked well in the past.
will check it out with others tomorrow, you know how it is when you get to the stage of replicating your own errors....... fresh eye etc.

thanks folk for you comments
Cheers
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to summarise so far, it looks like its a problem with either your ov2 creating routine itself OR thatTT have moved the goalposts again so that the new software is not recognising a certain sort of valid ov2 file.
They have done something similar before, using a slightly different ov2 format for their OWN pois like the speed cams and UK Doctors, Dentist etc add-ons, but never so that ordinary ones didn't work.

Can you try adding an OV2 (and its bmp) from somewhere else (say from this site) and see if that appears in "show POI on map", also try one you create yourself using the built in "add POI category" routine.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have the speed camera database working on the One XL, One Third Edition, 720 and 930 and they are all running version 8 software, the POI system is working exactly the same as it ever did.
Only a few minor niggles with the vs8, the anti-theft screen that is displayed when you power down a device doesn't display too well as the backlight goes off to quickly.
One Third Edition has lost Itinerary planning and the work around to put it back on the device doesn't work.
720/ 930 won't work correctly with a Nokia 6300, this phone works fine running 7,221 but there is no audio for handsfree when running vs8. - Mike
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok quick response, took ov2 file from collegues TT1 v6.5 IT could NOT read my 720.
OV2 files I had created were then copied from 720 onto his TT1 and could be read.
Both sets of files were created from same OV2 file creation routine (inhouse stuff)
So looks like TT have altered something......... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Well I have the speed camera database working on the One XL, One Third Edition, 720 and 930 and they are all running version 8 software, the POI system is working exactly the same as it ever did.

But maybe only with the specific POIs you've got, Mike....

This looks like it could be something subtle, where the PGPSW camera POIs are still "sufficiently compatible" to work OK, but the ones created by dmacs utility (which used to be OK) now aren't compatible enough any more.

We know TT have started using slightly different POI file formats for their own POIs ("Type 100" rings a bell?) and TT have been saying for ages that the reason we keep losing our POI warning settings is because the PGPSW database is "not the right format". That's probably bull****, but may have a grain of truth in it?)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmac is there a sample POI file you could send me to take a look at or is it not something you can pass on?
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of files to your email add Darren.

cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: