Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC Signal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC Signal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: TMC Signal Reply with quote

Hi all again, another TMC issue!!!

I am getting very little and intermittent traffic updates on my Nuvi.

I have my antenna fixed horizontally along my windscreen and get very little signal, have tried vertically and this does not make much difference.

I was originally using the power supply provided with my i3, and have read in other posts that the Power supply can have an effect on the signal so changed to the power supply provided with the Nuvi (ending in 6098) and got a noticeable improvement in signal, but still this morning on my way to work up the M3, and crossing the M25 lost all traffic updates.

I have called Garmin (again) about this and they have advised that I need a suppression kit for the TMC 12. Does anyone know anything about these and whether they make any difference or not?

Surely if TMC was this unreliable they would not be allowed to sell it as it seems (in my opinion anyway) to be very unreliable.

My i3 has been a great little workhorse and I only retired it because I wanted to be able to get traffic updates, at the moment I have paid £150 for something that does pretty much what my i3 did.

I am considering taking the Nuvi back to Halfords as not fit for purpose and changing it for a TT One with Traffic!!!

Any advice much appreciated before I go mad.

Thanks

Trev
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TMC signal is very weak in the UK. Some people have better experience than others depending on where they are in the country. It's not so much the unit itself as the weak signal that causes the problems.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
The TMC signal is very weak in the UK. Some people have better experience than others depending on where they are in the country. It's not so much the unit itself as the weak signal that causes the problems.
If that's the case then how can the sell it?!?!?

I think this Nuvi will be going back because it just seems to be a waste of money.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Think about it like a TV. In a few areas in the country the reception is poor - should they stop people selling TVs? The likes of TomTom and Garmin make the receivers but Government legislation prevented a decent powered signal being broadcast, unlike the US and rest of Europe. There are changes being made in the number of transmitters but the much promised improvements seem to be far away.....

I've had mixed experience with TMC. It's worked OK and then lost signal just as i needed it... I now use use it as an extra function but do not rely on it.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

Think about it like a TV. In a few areas in the country the reception is poor - should they stop people selling TVs? The likes of TomTom and Garmin make the receivers but Government legislation prevented a decent powered signal being broadcast, unlike the US and rest of Europe. There are changes being made in the number of transmitters but the much promised improvements seem to be far away.....

I've had mixed experience with TMC. It's worked OK and then lost signal just as i needed it... I now use use it as an extra function but do not rely on it.
Don't you feel in any way ripped off though? Other than the traffic I cannot really see any improvement between the i3 and the Nuvi.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Nuvi as others for the prime use as a Sat Nav to get from A to B, but I paid extra for a more expensive model to have my second wish TMC, particularly, as here in the South East, we live in a giant on-going roadworks, on all the main routes in and out of Kent.

I like trevf have found it as much use as a chocolate teapot.

As PaulB2005 quotes -

Quote:

There are hundreds of posts here on as many different threads, on how to 'mod' your aerial, but the trouble is they work for some and not others, splitters to the aerial seem to be the most popular, but in my case with a windscreen aerial I can't even persue that route.

I feel that without 100% evidence that it works, I am not interested in trying out a 'mod' that may or may not work, like everybody else I just want to plug it in and go, without the hassle.

In the meantime i find it works some days and not others, it doesn't even relate with the weather, as some clear sunny days it is 'dead'.

I have even been using it in London, then all of a sudden everything is gone and the screen is blank!

I like you am very disappointed, but if it works for some then there isn't a lot we can say.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't you feel in any way ripped off though?

Well, yes and no. I want to pay for a service that works, but recognise the limitations. The fact is it does work, but the problem is the signal strength.

Quote:
Other than the traffic I cannot really see any improvement between the i3 and the Nuvi.

Well, i can see loads.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
Don't you feel in any way ripped off though?

Well, yes and no. I want to pay for a service that works, but recognise the limitations. The fact is it does work, but the problem is the signal strength.

Quote:
Other than the traffic I cannot really see any improvement between the i3 and the Nuvi.

Well, i can see loads.
It's got a bigger touch sensitive screen... Ok reached the end of the list.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's got a bigger touch sensitive screen... OK reached the end of the list.

Well it depends which model you bought....

Anyway, let's not take this off topic.

Unfortunately there is a wealth of info on the failings of TMC here. Apart from the weak signal there is also the delays in updating info so delays and accidents are either not reported in time or are still reported long after they have gone. When i bought my Nuvi 760 i hoped the TMC would be brilliant but always kept the failings at the back of my mind..... The back of mind wasn't disappointed....
gtarling
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevf - take it from one who knows - Tomtom is no better!
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevf, after having two of your new threads locked today due to duplication, have a look at this thread, TMC is Totally Useless in the UK!!! - (if you haven't already viewed it) it holds a mixed view of answers to your questions.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your advice. It looks like I will be going back to my trusty i3.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks all for your advice. It looks like I will be going back to my trusty i3.

If all you were upgrading for is the TMC then i would do the same. However when the time comes to replace / upgrade i would, at least, consider the (non-TMC) Nuvis again.....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: