Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Harman Kardon GPS 500
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Harman Kardon GPS 500
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxrom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glesgaguy : To my knowledge, the data format for the speed cameras on the HK is specific to the unit. However, as mentioned before, the device seems to use a customised version of iGO sat nav software, so there may be some mileage in looking here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-igo-myguide-oncourse_navigator.php

Those are instructions for installing the PGPSW cameras onto iGO, so it might be worth a shot. That way, you can use the cam database from here which is more up to date than the database that comes as standard. If you give it a go, and get it working, let me know...! Smile
glesgaguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Maxrom, As you say the data seems to be loaded into the units memory, the only access via PC is to the SD card which does have two files, .dat and .spe, which I presume don't match with the .spdb and .spdat (or mabye they would)

I don't want to damage the unit so I think I'll let others experiment,
no doubt if it ever becomes reasonably popular someone will hack it. Very Happy
mwayman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: TMC on GPS 500 Reply with quote

Hi Maxrom, I do about 1000 miles a week all over the UK and I have yet to see or hear anything via the TMC. I can't be bothered to plug that silly piece of 'string' in anymore!
Maxrom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info mwayman. It's a real shame it doesnt appear to pick up anything, as that would be a nice feature that I've not had on any previous sat nav units Sad

On another note, the speed cam database for free is actually not as bad as I first thought. The cameras that I know are missing are Gatso's, but I suppose you could just about argue that they are temporary, which would explain their absence. I noticed the camera database is Europe wide, and include red light cameras too which is nice. The camera alerting system is basic, but not really any better or worse than any other device I've used. Still very happy with it overall.
Maxrom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, these are now £99 at Maplin....
MCFC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone please tell me after downloading the free POI installer do i then run it on my PC with my 500 connected and does it need a SD card inserted or doe's the speedcam info install onto the actual unit . Thanks
sebringer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know whether you can buy/download maps for North America? I travel to the States a lot and would much prefer to have this than the awful NeverLost crap from Hertz. Cheers
Maxrom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCFC: Yes, you run POI Warner on your PC with the 500 connected. It will then freely download and update fixed cameras to your device. Dont choose to add mobile cameras as it'll ask you for log in details, which will require you to have a paid subscription. You will need a memory card for this - the speed cameras will not install to the device itself.

Sebringer: As far as I'm aware, you're stuck with the maps that came with the device. I know there is a US version of the 500, but I dont think you can obtain the maps, and load them onto a unit from another territory Sad
MCFC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Maxrom , will give it a try tonight.
Ctony
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this gps today for £99.99 from maplins and I have to say I am impressed. This is number 6 for me.
still got, Tom Tom 5, CoPilot 6 / Igo 6 / VaiMichlin and one I can not even remember.

7 digit Post code works no problem, but remember the space. Firmware version in mine is 1.40E if yours is earlier than you may need to update.
This is the best GPS unit I have had thus far and I love the software. video play back is really good. Even picks up GPS signal in the house near the window.

I also live in Folkestone and mine seems to have no trouble finding Canterbury Road at all. Don't expect stuff that has just been built to be on a sat nav. I used tom tom for years and it was always out of date, even though I bought my version 5 before it was in the shops. I used my I Go GPS along side this GPS500, both gave the same route. the 500 has a very high res display which makes it very easy to read.
It is not 100% the same as Igo software but very similar.

As far as I know POI and speed cameras have been available on this site for a few years, speed cameras, I just do not bother with, I just don't speed. POI, I have used to update my tom tom, have to look into how to add them for this, I am sure there will be a way of doing this, as these tend to use similar files.

I wonder if the updates from Igo will work on this?, as they seem to have more updates. Oh and never trust a GPS 100%, it is still worth reading the road signs, as You may have keyed in the wrong address. I am hoping that TMC (free) will catch on as it has in other countries. In the UK people seem happy to pay for stuff that is free in most other European countries.

Tony
Maxrom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, I totally agree with your review. I'm still very pleased with mine, and have used it a lot. The only thing that does seem to be absent for UK users is the TMC feature as you eluded too. A little disappointing, but doesnt really cause me any concern - the device is great, and the screen is excellent. One thing I would like to do is change the voice - it seems you only have the option of the male voiceover, but would prefer a female voice like I've had in previous TomTom units. Anyone got any ideas on whether this can be changed?
terrywallis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the male voice - very strange; if you select any of the other languages available on the GPS500 you will find they are all female!!! I wonder what that tells us about the British?
Ctony
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: voice Reply with quote

Maxrom, I too would rather a female voice, as I am used to my wife telling me what to do. I think the company has played a little joke on us.

having said that, the voice is ok and very calming. so I am not too upset about it. I have heard one gps with a male voice that sounded like a butler.

If it is not made available, at some point I am sure some one will find a way to view and change the files on the system. Once this has been done, it would be possible to change the voice.
Unless of course HK decide to give us a utility to change the voice.

In any case, this is still a real bargain.

Tony

Very Happy
waggonwheel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: I Cant put music on the SD card, why???? Reply with quote

GPS500 Great Satnav for £99 BUT...................

I cant download any music to my 2GB SD card. Ive tried syncing it and drag and drop, even with the card in a card reader. Do I need to do anything?????? Yes, I'm sure the card is compatable.

I've also noticed some of the POI's arent very accurate, sometimes on totally different roads. Has anyone else noticed a problem?

And searching for an address with multiple choices is pot luck!!!

Please help, I want to listen to music while travelling.
Maxrom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested in customising this unit, having found nothing on the web, I had a go myself with good results.

I've put full instructions on my blog here:

http://maxromblog.spaces.live.com

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: