Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC with Nuvi
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC with Nuvi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: TMC with Nuvi Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have just got a Nuvi 350 T and have a couple of questions about the traffic routing.

I seem to be one of the few people who gets a traffic signal so that's nopt a problem.

Questions are:

1 - How does the Nuvi route around traffic? I have just tried to route from a to b which would take me through 2 miles of stationary traffic (according to the traffic update on the Nuvi). The Suggested route was through the traffic although there is an alternate route that has no traffic at the moment which is not much further.

2 - If I am travelling down a road without a route and the Nuvi finds traffic on the road will it alert me?

Hope someone can help sorry if these are stupid questions, but not much is covered in the manual.

Many thanks.

Trev
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've only used it once or twice and i think it'll avoid the traffic if you have Traffic set up in the Avoidances section. Also when new delays appear it'll ask if you wish to Avoid or Continue.

The most annoying thing is travelling from London to the Lake District it told me of 45 minutes delays but they were 200 miles away.... We did use the Avoid option and it took us off the motorway and through a town but stupidly i did this at school going home time! By the time we got back on the motorway we joined the back of another jam.....
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TMC with Nuvi Reply with quote

trevf wrote:

1 - How does the Nuvi route around traffic? I have just tried to route from a to b which would take me through 2 miles of stationary traffic (according to the traffic update on the Nuvi). The Suggested route was through the traffic although there is an alternate route that has no traffic at the moment which is not much further.

It will offer you the chanced to avoid but it will tell you if the current route (including estimated delay) is still quicker than the alternative route.

trevf wrote:

2 - If I am travelling down a road without a route and the Nuvi finds traffic on the road will it alert me?

Yes - it will inform you of delays on the roads near to where you are. You can always get an overview by tapping the blue triangle icon which should show you the current traffic status for UK.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. How will it make me know about the alternative routes and traffic on my current route. Do I have to go into the Menu and check the traffic (doesn't seem particularly safe)?

Sorry for all of the questions but so far I have not been able to test teh unit as I have been working locally for the last week and have not needed car.

Many thanks for your help.

Trev
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll alter your route automatically in the same way missing a turn causes the unit to re-route. There will a symbol with a delay time on it such as .30 which means there are 30 minutes of delays on your route. Annoyingly to see details you have to touch the delay symbol to see a map of where the delays are. If you are doing a long route it'll warn you of delays regardless of how far away they are, and not when they are say 30 miles away...

Page 52 of the Nuvi 350 Owners Manual has some screen shots and symbols
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Paul, makes a lot of sense with the manual, I guess that was missing from my box!!!

Have downloaded the PDF for reference. Many thanks again.

Trev
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess that was missing from my box!!!

It's missing from all of them....

BTW don't forget philpugh's help.... Wink
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you as well Phil. Just used nuvi for the first time and noticed the following. 1 when using a route i was notified on the m3 of upcoming traffic on m25 but route did not change. I had to press the triangle then select avoid. I have traffic set in avoidances so i thought it would have re routed automatically. 2 there was no notification of how long the delay was or comparison of arrival time with and without diversion. 3 with route turned off on a3 i checked the traffic status screen and could see traffic about 9 miles ahead but there was no warning on the screen. The main reason i wanted a traffic satnav was to avoid traffic when commuting, and therefore not using a route so being warned m3 non routed traffic is critical to me. What am i doing wrong? Sorry about the dodgy formatting, but have had to do this from my phone. Thanks to all again. Trev
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
there was no notification of how long the delay was

Did the triangle not contain a time? i.e .30, .45?

To be honest the workings and integration of TMC is a mystery to me. I've used it 2 or 3 times "in the real world" but numerous times in testing. I experience the same frustrations as you. I think the Avoid Traffic option is for when the Nuvi does the initial calculation at your start point (i.e. if there is traffic on the route at the time the route is being calculated it'll calculate round it) otherwise you have to do as you say and hit the triangle and hit Avoid. I don't think you are doing anything wrong, i think it's poorly implemented.

Another frustration for me was doing a 250 mile trip it warned me of 45 minute delays ahead but these were 220 miles away. Would have been nice to limit the alerts to problems within say 30 miles of you. It is distracting because every time it changes info you have to click through the screen to see if its a few mile ahead or 2 hours away.

On a final note on the one occasion TMC worked flawlessly was after dropping some one off in Guildford i plotted a course back home. I only really need to be guided to the A3 but it was the easiest way. It took me a whole new route home consisting of back roads and B roads. I found out later there had been a horrendous crash on the London bound carriageway and the TMC had taken me on a route to avoid it. It had done it's job without me realising it.

Quote:
not using a route so being warned m3 non routed traffic is critical to me

I'm not sure how the TMC is going to know to alert you to anything if you don't have a route plotted as it won't know where you are going. Unless you are happy to get the alert once on the M3....
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing in the triangle at all. With the nonroute alert it would be nice to be told if there were any delays on the road at all so that a diversion could be used. Originally i was going to get a tom tom. Hope i have made the right choice.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you do get an alert, but then again as i said without a route calculated the unit doesn't know what roads you are going to take and therefore which ones to warn you about. If you pulled into the M3 right into stationary traffic the first chance it would have had to warn you would be on the slip road by which point it's too late.....

I think i need to have refresher with my TMC...
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Paul. I will have a bit more of a play as well.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the device set to "fastest" and traffic is noted on your route, it will not offer to avoid it if there is no faster route even with the traffic delay. It will offer avoid if there's a 30 minute delay ahead and the detour route would only add 15 minutes, for instance.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
If you have the device set to "fastest" and traffic is noted on your route, it will not offer to avoid it if there is no faster route even with the traffic delay. It will offer avoid if there's a 30 minute delay ahead and the detour route would only add 15 minutes, for instance.
That makes sense, but yesterday when using a route there was traffic ahead that delayed me for about 30 minutes, the detour (had I taken it) would have added 3 minutes onto my original journey time. But the Nuvi didn't suggest it, all it did was to show an empty triangle on the screen.

Sounds like I am doing something wrong.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience of it has been this - when calculating a route - if it has already received traffic information, it can factor it in to routing (assuming you have traffic selected in avoidances).

On the go, with already calculated routes, it warns you of delays, but then you have to tap on the avoid / re-route thing to accept or get it to calculate the alternative.

Least that's the way it works (when it works!) on my C510T.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: