Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to install both UK (mph) and Europe (kph) on Garmin Unit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to install both UK (mph) and Europe (kph) on Garmin Unit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: UK and European Speed Cameras Reply with quote

briane wrote:

It works - however for me I'm concerned that I may accidently ask for the European Pois' to be transferred to the harddrive and thus lose the UK POIs'.

If you have that concern then rename the poi.gpi file on the card to, say, EUpoi.gpi. Then if you do say yes it will copy but not overwrite.
briane
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: POIs' on NUVI Reply with quote

Tried what U suggested and it worked (ie EUpoi) only trouble I then went and transferred them to the harddrive, and this worked.
Now I had UKpois followed by EUpois, which meant I had to scroll thro' the UKpois to get to the EUpois. (bit of a pain)
I then deleted the pois, but this only removed the UK ones as the EU had a different file name.
Eventually I accessed the NUVI harddrive thro the USP cable and deleted all pois, and went back to my original idea of having 2 SD cards.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: POIs' on NUVI Reply with quote

briane wrote:

Now I had UKpois followed by EUpois, which meant I had to scroll thro' the UKpois to get to the EUpois. (bit of a pain)
I then deleted the pois, but this only removed the UK ones as the EU had a different file name.

You needed to access the Garmin unit's memory from the PC using windows explorer and delete EUpoi.gpi. Deleting using poiloader will ONLY delete poi.gpi and no others.
tt4uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i have renamed one eupoi.gpi via windows explorer (on the unit) I HAVE A NUVI 250w

when updateing via camera manager, i presume the uk poi's will go into poi.gpi on the unit.

but ?? how do i update/add to the eupoi.gpi
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tt4uk wrote:
Ok, i have renamed one eupoi.gpi via windows explorer (on the unit) I HAVE A NUVI 250w

when updateing via camera manager, i presume the uk poi's will go into poi.gpi on the unit.

but ?? how do i update/add to the eupoi.gpi

I presume that you have two files, eupoi.gpi and another for the UK poi's which is probably still poi.gpi. Assuming that is the case then first rename the UK file to, say, ukpoi.gpi. That will stop it from being deleted by POILoader. Then use POILoader to load whichever file you need onto either a card or the unit - the file will be called, automatically, poi.gpi. You will then need to delete the old file and rename the poi.gpi to ukpoi.gpi or eupoi.gpi as appropriate.
This sounds complex but it isn't when you do it! Wink
tullyh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Regarding the 257 POI Categories Reply with quote

Regarding the 257 categories situation which may have been resolved on my Nuvi 610 if this is correct.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1923

Garmin says on the software version update 3.80 - 4.10 "Fixed bug where having too many custom POI symbols could cause the unit to reboot" I'm currently using the new release 4.40 software.

If you have read my thread in this section of the forum you will know that I'm having trouble installing databases on an SD card. I wanted to do this because of the 257 issue. If this is no longer an issue can I then ...

1. Install the EUR consolidated database on my Nuvis internal memory using POI Loader and selecting kph/kilometers. Then afterwards rename the file eurocam.gpi

After doing this

2. Install the UK consolidated database on my Nuvis internal memory using POI Loader and selecting mph/miles. The resultant file will be named poi.gpi

If I've read everything correctly then when I cross the border from Northern Ireland into the Republic the speed alerts will work without touching any settings.

How many POIs would both databases contain? I read somewhere that the UK database contained approx 33. Is there enough internal memory for both databases? Any other reasons I should not do this?

Thanks in advance
timlofts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say - On my recent trip through france, I followed inspiredron's instructions ...

"I suspect that you can extend this idea to multiple POI files, not just two.
For example you might want to have European POI's, your main set of UK POI's which seldom change and the continually updated speed cameras. Load up the European set and then rename to EUpoi.gpi, then load the static UK Poi's and rename as UKpoi.gpi and lastly load the cameras and let those remain as poi.gpi. Whenever the camera database is updated you can simply load the new set and it will overwrite the old poi.gpi file without affecting EUpoi.gpi and UKpoi.gpi."

And it worked perfectly on my Nuvi 310. If only the unit would stop crashing around Lyon, which it did in the same region last year when I was there![/i][/quote]
tullyh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timlofts wrote:
And it worked perfectly on my Nuvi 310. If only the unit would stop crashing around Lyon, which it did in the same region last year when I was there![/i]
[/quote]

Tim are you loading to your Nuvi direct or to an SD card? I still have an issue with SD cards.
timlofts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had all the poi's loaded to the actual unit, and they seemed to work without any problem. However, I was concerned that while driving through France there didn't seem to be many warnings given, but not actually seeing any undisclosed cameras, I came to the conclusion there's just not so many cameras as there are in England!

Regarding maps; I have my UK mapset loaded to an SD card, and French mapset to the actual unit. The mapset loading may seem the wrong way round, but last year when driving through France, my nuvi kept crashing around the Macon/Dijon region. I assumed it was an sd card problem, so for this years trip swapped the map loading round. However, the nuvi kept crashing, in exactly the same region as before. I'm still to contact nuvi, but assume it's a map error where there may be an erenous over lap between 2 map sections that make up the map set.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timlofts wrote:
I had all the poi's loaded to the actual unit, and they seemed to work without any problem. However, I was concerned that while driving through France there didn't seem to be many warnings given, but not actually seeing any undisclosed cameras, I came to the conclusion there's just not so many cameras as there are in England!

Regarding maps; I have my UK mapset loaded to an SD card, and French mapset to the actual unit. The mapset loading may seem the wrong way round, but last year when driving through France, my nuvi kept crashing around the Macon/Dijon region. I assumed it was an sd card problem, so for this years trip swapped the map loading round. However, the nuvi kept crashing, in exactly the same region as before. I'm still to contact nuvi, but assume it's a map error where there may be an erenous over lap between 2 map sections that make up the map set.

Glad it worked for you! I am surprised that you had few camera alerts. I use a different database (SCDB) and have lots in both France and Spain. It may be that the PGPSW database is still building up for France.

I am interested in your crashing around Lyon. A couple of years ago with a C510 I had multiple crashes around Clermont Ferrand which required switching off and then restarting and sometimes pressing the reset button. Not a problem but tiresome.

Finally, I regard it as better to keep foreign cameras on the SD card and NOT on the unit. In some jurisdictions warning systems (even GPS type) are illegal. Should you be stopped you can quickly eject the card! Look - no speed cameras!
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been following this discussion and it may help me solve a different problem.

On the bike, I really don't care about specs cameras. In the car I do. But there is no easy way to separate them (or so I thought). But if I load the cameras in use POIloader and don't load specs, then rename the POI file, load them again but this time WITH the specs, I should end up with 2 sets of custom POIs. I can then select which one I want for proximity warnings.

What do you think? Will this work?

Alan
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll answer it myself. No.....

I loaded in two POI files using POI loader and renaming the poi.gpi file as I went. I called one "poi-No-Specs.gpi" and the other "poi-Specs.gpi".

Went into the system settings, proximity alerts, change - I still only had the option of "Garmin" or "Custom". I was hoping for another one !

Any clues? Or is it hopeless?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't do it the way you want to. However if you keep the 2 GPI files on your PC you can just swap in the one you want, or if you have two SD cards have one with SPECS and one without. Then swap the cards accordingly.

Or have the "poi-No-Specs.gpi" file and make a "poi-only-Specs.gpi" file and add / remove the "poi-only-Specs.gpi" when needed.

You can add / delete the file using Windows File Manager...
Toastfrenzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to re-cap....
I've installed the latest UK Camera DB using POI Loader in feet\mph
I've renamed the resultant file to UKpoi.gpi

I've installed the latest Euro Camera DB using POI Loader in meter\kph
I've left the resultant file as is...

I now have uk and euro POI under my custom tab.

Am I good to go now, or is there something else to do???

Cheers
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Am I good to go now, or is there something else to do???

Unless you wish to add fuel stations, supermarkets etc that's it. If you do wish to add further POIs, i'd re-name the Euro Camera file to Eurpoi.gpiso you have UKpoi.gpi, Eurpoi.gpi and then poi.gpi with the supermarkets etc

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: