Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Northing and Eastings software for WM6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Northing and Eastings software for WM6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papoo1969
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Northing and Eastings software for WM6 Reply with quote

I have a HTC P6500 Pda and wondering if there is any software that i can use what can tell me northings and eastings of the location that i am standing on, i have tried a few stuff but after i have downloaded it, it only tells me longditude and latitude.
Thanks in advance
Sean
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

positive longitude is also known as eastings and positive latitude is known as northings, isn't it?

or is it a specific format you need eg degrees, minutes seconds (eg 53 24 45), or degrees decimal-minutes (53 28.4553) or decimal degrees (53.34432)

it's a fairly easy calculation to convert between them. i thought google maps would do this?

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Northing and Eastings software for WM6 Reply with quote

papoo1969 wrote:
I have a HTC P6500 Pda and wondering if there is any software that i can use what can tell me northings and eastings of the location that i am standing on, i have tried a few stuff but after i have downloaded it, it only tells me longditude and latitude.
Thanks in advance
Sean

As a suppliment to MaFt's comments above. If you are talking about OSGB or Maidenhead co-ordinates, these can be obtained by using Speed Sentry (Only $11). http://www.tchartdev.com/gps_ss.htm
papoo1969
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry i didnt tell you why i need the northings and eastings. My job title is Street works quality advisor ( hard to explain exactly what i do) the company i work for repair water, gas and electricity in public highways and a new bit of legislation came out on April 1st 2008 wich states that when we close a notice we must put on the R1 the northings and eastings (OSGB) of every excavation we dig so the local council can pin point our excavation rather than get mixed up with someone elses.

I have google maps on my PDA but it doesnt show coordinates. I tried TurboGPS but that shows N and W not N and E (good bit of software by the way) if i used longditude and latitude it would take me ages to convert to N & E and i simply dont have the time to do this becouse of the amount of excavations i check.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said earlier, Tchart's Speed Sentry gives OSGB co-ordinates (amongst others) in the form TQ 75966 08090 for Lat 50.8455 Lon 0.4981.
Is this not what you want??
papoo1969
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep thanks i downloaded the trial last night and i will trial it out on tuesday when i go back to work, i will let you know how it goes, thanks for your help.

Sean
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Speed Sentry is also a very effective speed camera warner when the Pocket GPS World database is installed to the device and configured - Mike
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly is. It's a pitty it does not have a 'one touch' co-ordinate logger for marking speed cam positions etc. I have a copy of GPS Dash, in which you just click one of the hardware buttons on my Mio, to record the current position in a log file. It works a treat, if I can remember to start it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: