Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 610 and PGPSW camera database installation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 610 and PGPSW camera database installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tullyh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 610 and PGPSW camera database installation Reply with quote

Humour me guys, newbie with only a basic grasp of how things operate.

I've a new Garmin Nuvi 610 with Garmins "Cyclops" 30 day trial running. Subscribed to PGPSW today and downloaded the single file all cameras database for POI loader. Unzipped them to a directory on my C:\ drive.

Having read through a lot of forum posts I wanted to install this onto an SD card which is inserted in the Nuvi. Then I wanted to deactivate the "Cyclops" to prevent double warnings.

What actually happened during installation was the csv/bmap files got converted to a poi.gpi file and were installed on the Nuvi. There was no request to install it on the SD card. So I cut and pasted it from H:\Garmin\POI to I:\ (SD Card) Also located in H:\Garmin\POI are files called uk cyclops sample.gpi & uk sample cyclops.uni.

Disabled Proximity points/Alerts/Change/Garmin safety cameras and then went for a test drive past my nearest Gatso. No warnings at all. Reactivated the Garmin safety cameras, tried again and then appeared to get double warnings. I had opted for 200 yd warnings with the PGPSW database (Realise this is insufficient) so I was getting a visual warning message a big distance before the camera (Cyclops?) which changed to a different visual message at approx 200 yds.(PGPSW?)

So what I need to know is:

1. Is my installation method ok, ie moving the poi.gpi file after POI loader installed it somewhere else? Seemed to be working ok though ... I think Confused

2. To stop the double warnings can I remove the "Cyclops" files uk sample.gpi & uk sample.uni and save them to my PC somewhere? Then if I ever wanted to re-instate them could I copy them back and they'll work again?

3. I opted for a 200yd warning distance, much too short I discovered. To change this distance do I just reinstall the files with POI loader and change it?

4. If I downloaded and installed "Uk - consolidated by type (Gatso, mobile etc)" instead of "UK - single file all cameras" will I get better more detailed visual warnings? I assume both databases have the same amount of cameras contained within?

5. And lastly, the audible warning could be missed easily if the radio was on/or I was chatting. Is there any way to change the audible warning to something more dramatic/noticeable?

A lot of questions but any advice appreciated. TIA Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll quickly have a stab at these.

1) Yes, that's fine. The latest version of POILoader will allow you to specify different locations. POILoader and other downloads relating to your 610 are here

2) Just disable the Camera Alerts under your Proximity Alerts options. Page 48 of the manual here

3) Yes

4) I (and others) think the Consolidated database is the best one for the Nuvi as the way the data is presented tells you much more than the Single File DB can, such as the icon indicating the camera type etc

5) As your Nuvi has the mp3 player then you can use mp3 alerts. You can download some files from here and convert them to mp3 with a program such as Audacity.
tullyh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, shall try some of them later tonight when I get time. Sorry for the double post, won't happen again mods Embarassed
tullyh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

2) Just disable the Camera Alerts under your Proximity Alerts options. Page 48 of the manual here

This is giving me problems. I successfully installed the consolidated database with POI loader to a folder on my SD card called "PGPSW" I then wanted to disable Garmin Cyclops so as per manual page 48 I went to settings/Proximity points/Alerts - change/ and then removed the tick for the "Garmin safety cameras" I now get no alerts whatsoever when passing a known Gatso. Re-tick the "Garmin safety cameras" to enable and I then get an audible and visual warning passing the Gatso. I'm now not sure the PGPSW database is working at all Confused

Located in H:\Garmin\POI are files called uk cyclops sample.gpi & uk sample cyclops.unl. These I assume are the Cyclops database files. Could I save them to my PC and then delete from the Nuvi. Then I could try "Garmin safety cameras" option turned on with only the PGPSW database files installed on the SD card. If I copy these files back to the Nuvi afterwards would things be back to normal as regards using Cyclops?

edit
Discovered if I delete either or both of the Garmin files (.gpi & .unl) above then I lose the "Garmin safety cameras" option in settings/proximity points. Took the laptop out for a drive and tried a few things. I deleted these files losing the proximity option and I tried driving past the Gatso with the PGPSW consolidated files installed but I got no warnings. Replaced the Garmin files (.gpi & .unl) and the "Garmin safety cameras" option in settings/proximity points retuned and I got warnings again when driving past the Gatso. I am really starting to believe that my downloaded PGPSW database isn't doing anything.

Advice appreciated ... Thanks John
tullyh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted for now guys, mikealder rocks Smile Thanks Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorted for now guys, mikealder rocks

Anyone want to let us in on the secret?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting for that one!

The site member "tullyh" contacted me directly via MSN which I do have set as visible for people to use if they want - all I did was a simple step by step how to use the Garmin POILoader, the instructions on the site are fine, but on this occasion the user was trying to use an SD card and further complicating things by moving files and folders - simple to sort and took less than 10 mins, plus point is we have another happy user of the database - Mike
tullyh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

Anyone want to let us in on the secret?

Paul as Mike said it was fairly straight forward to get things working (Just install to the Nuvi) I was trying to install to an SD card for reasons detailed below. If I install to the Nuvi itself then everything works fine and I can disable the "Garmin Cyclops" system. I can also view the camera locations on where to/extras/POis

I do however still have a problem ... as below

I wanted to install the PGPSW data base on an SD card because I live in Northern Ireland and occasionally visit the Republic. I've read on this site about the issues with mph/kph databases and one suggested solution was installing one of the databases onto an SD card.

If I use POI Loader version 252 for windows (Latest release) to attempt to load the files onto my SD card (Kingston 1GB) this is what happens.

1. Start POI Loader

2. Select location for loading POI files, options are
(a) Garmin device
(b) Map source (Advanced)
(c) Custom Folder (Advanced)
Opted for Custom Folder and browse to the SD Card (I:\ on my PC) and hit next

I then get the following warning ... "The path name you selected is not a directory, please specify the directory where you POI files are located" So I created a folder on the SD card and named it "PGPSW" Browsed to this new folder and it was happy and moved to the next screen.

(a) Choose directory where the unzipped database files are located
(B) Choose feet and mph ... mph
(c) Choose auto or manual ... auto

press next

poi.gpi is then installed successfully to the SD card (I:\PGPSW) but the camera alerts don't work. The camera locations cannot be viewed on where to/extras.POIs

Things I've tried
(1) Installing to the Nuvi and then moving poi.gpi to the SD card (Didn't work)
(2) Installing to the SD card in a folder called POI like it is on the Nuvi (Didn't work)
(3) Installing to Map Source. Even sounds wrong and I got nowhere with that option, except a load of complaints from POI Loader.
(4) Deleted Garmins own Cyclops gpi files ... tested, no good ... reinstalled
(5) Other things I've probably forgot about.

So has anyone got any idea how to successfully install onto an SD card, perhaps an older version of POI Loader or brand of SD card would be better?

Should point out I haven't renamed any of the poi.gpi files or attempted to install Euro POIs. I'm working with the UK consolidated files only (Though I have tried the UK single file with the same results)

For now I'm a happy PGPSW world subscriber. Things are working nicely now but I'd like to crack this SD card issue. Thats all the detail I can think of, hopefully you can make some sense of them.

Regards ... John
G12345
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tullyh wrote:

So has anyone got any idea how to successfully install onto an SD card, perhaps an older version of POI Loader or brand of SD card would be better?

Hi. Using POILoader 2.5.2 here. Just set up the PocketGPS Speed Camera database on my Garmin Nuvi 200w for the first time. I also wanted to use an SD card and appear to have it working ok so far.

I put a newly formatted SD card in my PC card reader, and when POILoader started, I chose Garmin Device as the place where I wanted to save my Points of Interest. I chose this option even though I did not have the Nuvi connected to the computer at all. When I clicked next it showed the SD card as a device (Removable Disk) where I could save POIs. I then chose to Install New Custom POIs onto my device.

I then went on to browse to the folder where I had saved and unzipped my downloaded database .csv files, and after I selected them and chosen Express Mode, POILoader informed me that I had successfully installed 13485 points of interest onto my device. When I checked the SD card, a folder called garmin, and subfolder poi had been created, and in the poi folder a file called poi.gpi had been written.

When I put the SD card into my Nuvi and switched on, I got a message saying that 'New Extras data found on card - Would you like to install this data so that it will be available if the card is removed'. I chose No and went on to disable the Garmin Safety Cameras proximity alerts in the settings menu.

All worked fine on testing, no double warnings etc. I have found that every time I turn on the Nuvi, I get the same warning about New Extras data, so in time will probably choose to install directly to the Sat Nav. Good for testing purposes to keep on the SD card, though, or for whatever reason you might have.

Hope this helps.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
poi.gpi is then installed successfully to the SD card (I:\PGPSW) but the camera alerts don't work.

Because the folder has to be called "poi" and within another folder called "garmin" with no "

If you have the latest version of POILOader (2.5.2) then the correct way to send it to the SD card is to select (a) Garmin Device and then choose the SD Card on the next screen.
si952
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: How I do it... Reply with quote

I have a folder on my PC labelled Garmin :-)

Within this I have a folders labelled PGPSW, Current Loaded POI and Garmin POI. Within Current Loaded POI I have a folder labelled Camera DB.

I download Consolidated db to PGPSW.

I extract to Current Loaded POI/Camera DB

Then using POI Loader I create poi.gpi in Garmin POI.

Using POI Loader remove the poi.gpi from your Garmin device.

Copy the file you created onto your SD Card.

Garmin will ask if you wish to install onto device to allow use if SD card removed - select No.

I downloaded Liz to advise that th cameras were in range - extract the voice to the Current Loaded POI.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: