Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 610 / Camera database / Advice plz
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 610 / Camera database / Advice plz

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tullyh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 610 / Camera database / Advice plz Reply with quote

Humour me guys, newbie with only a basic grasp of how things operate.

I've a new Garmin Nuvi 610 with Garmins "Cyclops" 30 day trial running. Subscribed to PGPSW today and downloaded the single file all cameras database for POI loader. Unzipped them to a directory on my C:\ drive.

Having read through a lot of forum posts I wanted to install this onto an SD card which is inserted in the Nuvi. Then I wanted to deactivate the "Cyclops" to prevent double warnings.

What actually happened during installation was the csv/bmap files got converted to a poi.gpi file and were installed on the Nuvi. There was no request to install it on the SD card. So I cut and pasted it from H:\Garmin\POI to I:\ (SD Card) Also located in H:\Garmin\POI are files called uk cyclops sample.gpi & uk sample cyclops.uni.

Disabled Proximity points/Alerts/Change/Garmin safety cameras and then went for a test drive past my nearest Gatso. No warnings at all. Reactivated the Garmin safety cameras, tried again and then appeared to get double warnings. I had opted for 200 yd warnings with the PGPSW database (Realise this is insufficient) so I was getting a visual warning message a big distance before the camera (Cyclops?) which changed to a different visual message at approx 200 yds.(PGPSW?)

So what I need to know is:

1. Is my installation method ok, ie moving the poi.gpi file after POI loader installed it somewhere else? Seemed to be working ok though ... I think Confused

2. To stop the double warnings can I remove the "Cyclops" files uk sample.gpi & uk sample.uni and save them to my PC somewhere? Then if I ever wanted to re-instate them could I copy them back and they'll work again?

3. I opted for a 200yd warning distance, much too short I discovered. To change this distance do I just reinstall the files with POI loader and change it?

4. If I downloaded and installed "Uk - consolidated by type (Gatso, mobile etc)" instead of "UK - single file all cameras" will I get better more detailed visual warnings? I assume both databases have the same amount of cameras contained within?

5. And lastly, the audible warning could be missed easily if the radio was on/or I was chatting. Is there any way to change the audible warning to something more dramatic/noticeable?

A lot of questions but any advice appreciated. I'm going to copy this post and put it on the Garmin forum too in case it would be better dealt with there. Hope this doesn't upset the mods Smile TIA
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do not post questions multiple times. It splits up the information and duplicates questions and answers.

I've already posted an answer here

Thread locked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: