Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quest2 : AM I being Stupid!?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest2 : AM I being Stupid!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feef
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Quest2 : AM I being Stupid!? Reply with quote

I've just got the City navigator Europe 2008 unlocked on my Mapsource on my laptop.

I want to upgrade the map on my Quest2, but can't find how to do it anywhere.

I'm not wanting to transfer additional maps to the unit, I want to replace the existing NT V9 maps with the 2008 ones.

a
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual way is to do the upgrade from the V2008NT disc.

This assumes it is an upgrade disc and not a full distribution disc. I don't know if it is possible to upgrade using a full kit - I don't think so. You would still need an unlock code for your Quest - unlocking for display on MAPSOURCE is not sufficient.

On my 660 I put the disc in, connected the nuvi, entered the product code from the DVD case and the installation process did the rest - including getting the device unlock code from GARMIN via the internet.

The Quest isn't mentioned specifically in the 2008NT upgrade info - so it would be worth trying the GARMIN website and checking the suitability of the upgrade. There is a link on the UK website, 2008NT upgrade page that allows you to enter the serial number of your GPS device to see if the upgrade is suitable. I would have posted a link - but the GARMIN site is having probs at present.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK the Garmin site has recovered.

The link to check if your unit can be upgraded is

www8.garmin.com/unlock/update.jsp
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Quest2 : AM I being Stupid!? Reply with quote

feef wrote:
I'm not wanting to transfer additional maps to the unit, I want to replace the existing NT V9 maps with the 2008 ones.

When you upgrade it automatically wipes any existing maps before it uploads the new ones....

I'm not sure how far you got doing the map upgrade but what you have to do is:

Launch Mapsource
Zoom out till you see all of Europe
Go to the Tools menu and select "Map"
Click and drag to select all of Europe
You should see the number of maps selected in the "Maps" tab on the left. Make sure you clicked "Include route calculation data"
Upload the maps to your Quest2 using the USB cable (make sure the battery is charged, it will take a while!)

Good luck!
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi feef and the others.

I own a Quest 2 and did the map update a few weeks ago.

First of all, the way described by Skippy with map source does NOT replace the preloaded maps of a Quest. That would try to fit it into the free memory to add other maps, but obviously would fail because there is not enough of it.

For the update to work, you need the UPDATE DVD, which is labelled as such and mentions the Quest 2. I've described this disk with the numbers in another Post.

There you have to run the setup utility from the CD, which gives you the choice to update the mapsource installation on your pc and to update the unit itself. This is the only way to update the INTERNAL maps of a Quest 2.

Of course, you must have the unlock code for this version installed on the PC, which gets transferred to the Quest 2 during the update process.
The update of the unit took about 1h to get all the data downloaded to the unit.

After that, the previous maps are gone and the new ones are installed into the internal memory.

BeatO
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeatO wrote:
I own a Quest 2 and did the map update a few weeks ago.

First of all, the way described by Skippy with map source does NOT replace the preloaded maps of a Quest. That would try to fit it into the free memory to add other maps, but obviously would fail because there is not enough of it.

OK, ignore what I wrote then everybody it sounds like the Quest2 is different to the Quest1 that I have! Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: