Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom latest maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom latest maps
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
badgerdid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Tomtom latest maps Reply with quote

I currently use tomtom v6 on my pda with map western europe version 675.1322

This map was made by navteq but then tomtom went back to teleatlas, i have seen the 715 map on a one and it does not seem to be as upto date as my map, typical teleatlas rubbish.

I am thinking its time to get a stand alone unit, hopefully navcore8, but i am holding back until i have checked if the maps are more upto date than the older navteq one.

Here is a screen shot of a road that was updated dec 2006, has been updated on my map but still does not show the changes on the 715 map

Can anyone with the newer (well if there teleatlas might not be) maps say if this has now been updated, if not will still stick with v6 and my map.

After all its the maps that matter before all the gimmicks.

I heard navteq are better for the UK but Teleatlas are better for europe, is this right?
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to dissapoint you but I think you'll find that your map is teleatlas...

all navigator maps have been teleatlas with a map for the rider coming from navteq

I have the 6.75 on my pda (and ONE)and been using 715 on a 720t - close to me the 715 map is far better although we've had lots od new roads over the past few years so they may survey us more often.
badgerdid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently this map and the one before it were navteq (both western europe), also there was a canary island map with the same version number that was navteq, every other map was teleatlas.

Theres no other explanation for the road changes in the different versions, newer ones would have the road change on them if they were the same supplier.

theres a couple of posts about it if you google search.

But does the newer maps have this new section as the picture?
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got v710 on my GO700 and that bit of link is not on there.
spannersatcx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But does the newer maps have this new section as the picture?
710.1561 on 520 and that bit of A38 is not shown.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not on 715.1703 either.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still wrong on W+CE v715:

and also still wrong on Google Maps (although the aerial photo is right):

badgerdid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i thought that was strange too, the sat image shows it but there maps dont, Laughing Out Loud

I was suprised the map share on my m8s one didnt get updated with this info, but i dont know if it would or if map share works like that, i presumed it did, but obviously not.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom latest maps Reply with quote

badgerdid wrote:
After all its the maps that matter before all the gimmicks.

Why, oh why, can't TomTom recognise this basic fact? Is it important to get lost to the sound of music? To be able to listen to Harry Potter and the Whatever whilst you wait for somebody to come along and tell you how to get there? To show the recovery truck driver your holiday snaps?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badgerdid wrote:

I was suprised the map share on my m8s one didnt get updated with this info, but i dont know if it would or if map share works like that, i presumed it did, but obviously not.

No, contrary to popular belief, MapShare cannot add or remove roads, roundabouts, junctions etc - nothing that requires any re-drawing of the map.
All it can do on a v7 map is very basic traffic-flow direction changes (ie blocking or unblocking a road in one or both directions), changing a roads name or (when it's working) add or edit a POI.
On a v8 map you will be able to change the speed limit for roads and add 'no left/right turns' too.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But corrections will be made available to users of that same exact map version only, if at all. And they sure as hell don't get integrated into future version of the map.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New maps out today. So I go to look see what they are and they're v7.20 - i.e. NOT v8.

So I just checked for my nice new ONE 3rd Edition and it offered me GB & I v7.20, 116.4MB. It also added "You might also consider ... Western Europe v7.20, 861.5MB". For those of you who are not familiar with the ONE 3rd Edition, it comes with internal memory showing as ... Used 202MB, Free 286MB, capacity 489MB. There is NO SD card slot!! Maybe I should tell TomTom? What happens to the poor innocent who decides to get Western Europe, pays for it, downloads it and can't install it. Or does it refuse to give it to you before or after you pay?

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is quite worrying....
It either looks like a longer than usualdelay before they release v8 for other models, or... could this be the first time they DON'T automatically port it over at all?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we're paying top whack for the RDS-TMC fix?

I'm off to fire up Home and register my new ONE to see where I get with Latest Map Guarantee - The ONE may be a restricted poor relation, but it DOES have a plughole for TMC and I've got a TMC with my 920! Wink

Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

New maps out today. So I go to look see what they are and they're v7.20 - i.e. NOT v8.

Yeah, the 800 maps are for x30 devices running Navcore 8 only (of which the new ONE 130 apparently is not one). Although why the updated app isn't offered along with the new maps, I do not know. It, ahem, should not be a problem to to run the new software on older devices, I, cough, imagine.

Quote:
So I just checked for my nice new ONE 3rd Edition and it offered me GB & I v7.20, 116.4MB. It also added "You might also consider ... Western Europe v7.20, 861.5MB". For those of you who are not familiar with the ONE 3rd Edition, it comes with internal memory showing as ... Used 202MB, Free 286MB, capacity 489MB.

I guess TTHome doesn't recognize the difference between the half gig and one gig models of the One 3rd edition.

Quote:
What happens to the poor innocent who decides to get Western Europe, pays for it, downloads it and can't install it. Or does it refuse to give it to you before or after you pay?

Dunno, why don't you try it out? Smile

I find it also irritating that you aren't offered the North America map for Ones _with_ a SD slot, only the USA/Canada one. *lemme see something* Hey, there's now a new USA only map, saving you $20 and about 50 MB compared to the USA/Canada map.
Yay, I have a SD slot and it even recognizes SDHC cars under navcore 8 (tthome doesn't though), but I can't put any maps on it other than the ones I could just as well store on the internal memory.

Anyway, you're not missing much. The IQ routes feature finally seems to offer sane routing, as opposed to guiding you through angled, congested ghetto roads, i.e. it's now picking the route I would have picked. The last time TT did that, was with the 650 routes. Isn't progress nice?

The advance lane guidance feature? Meh.
You would think that this situation here would be enough to trigger it on, but you would think wrong:

Yeah, it shows the lanes in the status bar, but where's my pretty picture?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: