Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Teleatlas and Navteq in Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Teleatlas and Navteq in Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Teleatlas and Navteq in Europe Reply with quote

Do any members here use both Navteq and Teleatlas maps on a regular basis? If so, could you comment on the coverage and/or implementation? Are the maps you're using the current versions? Thsi isn't really a "who's best" question, but more of a question as to differences. Feel free to move this post if the moderator feels it's in the wrong forum.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I use teleatlas 675 1409 Uk and Navteq 675 1322 Western Europe, both are loaded and only used in UK, I just switch over when needed, the 1322 is more uptodate roadwise and the 1409 I use if i want more detail i.e. Waterways etc, I certainly havent noticed any less roads on the WE 1322 in the UK, I cannot speak for for the whole country but without doubt navteq is definitely more uptodate in my neck of the woods.
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with that when I've seen the two map types side by side.
The Tomtoms show more detail as in railways for instance. That is quite a big difference on the view - but could be based on what the hardware device decides to display?

I've also found the navteq to have more roads that are under construction. In fact, one nice feature is that I have quite an old set of navteq maps on my dad's car and some roads are dotted to show under construction and once we took it, the routing engine considered it a finished road. I haven't seen that yet on teleatlas as that road was simply not on the map at all.

Other big difference is the 'bends in roads' - the visual representation of roads and lakes seems different. Water looks more natural on the Teleatlas when I map scrolled to a diving lake in Windsor than on the navteq. Also, the bends are sometimes more gentle or sharper between the map types - but not consistently in one way. e.g. some bends teleatlas is gentle but navteq is harsher and vice versa.

Either way, for central London navteq seems more up-to-date for all the one way systems and piddly roads and pedestrianisation. I've only ever used navteq mapping data really - teleatlas was more of a curiosity thing.

p.s. I use in car navteq - smart2go for teleatlas.
Quickbeam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used both types for my work (private hire) on a PDA and find the detail on them mearly sufficiently OK.

But if I want total detail to find obscure tracks and farms, I have MemoryMap running with A/Z and Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 of my area. I also have Anquet with Phillips 1:100,000 of GB on the PDA. If the location can't be found on these, it don't exist!
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tele Atlas maps show tracks/bridalways which Navteq don't seem to.
As far as which one is more up to date, it really is pot luck! No clear winner.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: