Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Failure of SatSYNC / USB connection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Failure of SatSYNC / USB connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Failure of SatSYNC / USB connection Reply with quote

Having previously worked OK, all of a sudden my PC is throwing out an error message saying "USB device has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it" When I open SatSYNC it simply says "Please connect your Active 10 which should have batteries in and be switched on". Device Manager sees the A10 as an "unknown device" for which "No drivers are installed". I rang Satmap and was advised that I needed to go into my BIOS and "clear the IRQ data" or "clear the CMOS data". Having looked in the BIOS setup I can't find any utility or function which resembles this operation. I've tried the thing on a second PC and although I don't get the error message, all it sees is "USB device" and again says "Drivers are not installed for this device". SatSYNC can't see it. The main PC is on XP Professional and the second one on Win 2000 Prof. I don't know if the A10 needs drivers anyway and I'm not too keen on the idea of playing around in the BIOS. Can any of you techie guys offer any advice before I go back to Satmap?
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have thought it would be a driver issue if it has been working. Drivers are loaded from the device with USB. Have you hard reset (powered off) the A10 to see if the USB circuit has crashed?
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a conflict with SatSync and the Casio Photo Loader program, so I have now had to disable the Casio prog. The two programs crashed the PC to the extent it wouldn't even boot up again without a complete power down, unplug etc. So it could be a conflict with a similar USB loader. Try closing all other programs with EndItAll before connecting the A10.

Some USB devices use non standard cables, eg the CamLink USB Card Reader. Using a normal camera lead which physically connects OK gives exactly the same symptoms you describe in your post, so it could be a cable issue. The SatMap seems to use a standard USB connector as supplied with many digital cameras, so maybe worth trying an alternative lead.

So two things to consider, a USB device conflict or a faulty USB cable.

I don't know if SatMap are aware of conflicts with the Casio loader, please contact me if you wish further info on this. It was pretty worrying initially not being able to reboot my PC after connecting the SatMap! I was all ready to take the thing to the repair shop.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplug any other USB devices, open device manager on your PC (in XP, right-click 'My Computer' | Manage | - Device Manager) and then open the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section.

Connect your SatMap and look for a new entry appearing here called 'USB Mass Storage Device'. If you don't see this entry then you have a basic connectivity issue and should test your cable.

If you do see this entry, right-click the entry and select 'Uninstall', click OK and allow uninstall to complete. Then remove SatMap, exit Device Manager wait a few seconds. Re-Connect SatMap and test.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have an issue with "USB device has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it" with Satmap when I plug it in to my monitor's USB ports rather than the ones in the base unit
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
I only have an issue with "USB device has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it" with Satmap when I plug it in to my monitor's USB ports rather than the ones in the base unit

And that will be because the Active10 charges from USB. The USB ports on your monitor (effectively a hub) are not able to provide sufficient current.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed...although the A10 has already got power from fully charged AAs and I'm only transfering routes....the monitor hub works fine for my iPod.
super_claret
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have the same problems but intermittently. When I get the 'USB device not recognised' message, simply unplugging the cable and re-connecting it seems to work, however, SatSync is supposed to start automatically when the A10 is connected, but it doesn't.

More often though, I get the 'USB device has malfunctioned' error message.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Darren's suggestions but it made no difference, I loaded SatSYNC into a second PC and tried connecting the A10 to that - again same response: "Not recognised". I tried a different cable - no difference. Bizarrely, this morning it connected up OK, as normal, just as if nothing had happened. However, the A10 then started playing up - not switching on, either by it's own switch or when the USB cable is inserted - I have to remove/replace the battery before it will fire up. It's also stopped recognising the SD card and thinks there is "No Map Packs". The unit must be duff.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: