Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - poor service re tomtom3 upgrade
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

poor service re tomtom3 upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomjeffs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: poor service re tomtom3 upgrade Reply with quote

I ordered my upgrade from v2 to v3 on the 15th April. I understand that by then, the product hadn't been released, but to date I have still not received my order.

TomTom will only state that my order is 'CAPTURED', which basically means they have taken payment, and not delivered the upgrade. They have not given me an ETA on delivery, and will not allow me to download it instead (I have the bandwidth).

I asked to cancel the order because of this (and the generally poor reviews on this forum), and today they told me that I cannot cancel the order. I have to wait until it is delivered, and then return it, and be refunded. You can imagine, this is going to cost me money, unless I refuse to accept the package from the courier.

This is the last time I buy anything from TomTom.

What can I do about this? Does anyone agree, this is very poor customer service? Why refuse to cancel the order, when it would be cheaper to do so for all sides?
minesapint
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered my upgrade on the 14th april money taken on the 19th april, and like you, i still have not received my order oll it ever said in my tomtom is
shipping status: warehouse
3 phone calls 10 e-mails i give up in end.
BrianA
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you I placed my order on 19 April and have yet to hear anything past the standard order acknowledgement.

The FAQ on the website says this:

Quote:
Question:
When will I receive my product?

Answer:
An international fulfilment organization is working in shifts, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, to process the upgrade orders. However, the Upgrade Program for TomTom Navigator is very popular. There are only so many thousands of individually addressed packages that we can produce and ship in one day. Therefore, the delivery of your order can currently take up to 20 working days.

Well, by my reckoning we're just coming up to 20 working days!

Go 520 + Navcore 8
(was a happy PDA user until TT stopped updating the software)
AngelaK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have not dispatched it there is no earthly reason why you should not be able to cancel. They should not have taken the money from your card until they were ready to dispatch. If you used a credit card or a visa debit contact your card issuer and tell them that the goods have not been received. They are jointly liable and will refund your money (consumer credit act), they in turn will get the money back from TomTom.

Angela
BrianA
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I can't understand is why they don't have a download option. For anyone with ADSL that's a perfectly viable alternative.

Go 520 + Navcore 8
(was a happy PDA user until TT stopped updating the software)
minesapint
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have just received my upgrade today
its still saying in my tomtom shipping status warehouse.
i never did get the e-mail saying it had shipped.
so maybe the 3 phone calls 10 e-mails worked after all
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cancelling an upgrade order, especially by charging back on your credit card, is probably a bad idea. If you're not careful, you'll find your Navigator 2 product code will remain marked by TomTom as having been used to upgrade, and they won't let you order the upgrade again. Unfortunately TomTom's customer service sometimes leaves a lot to be desired...

Downloads - we have debated this in the past. The cost of hosting the number of downloads that people would want is potentially quite large, especially as some Navigator 3 products are bigger than the Navigator 3 GB disc (which is 701MBytes). The Maps of Western Europe are on something like 7 or 8 CDs.

As has been said in the past - never underestimate the bandwidth of a van full of disks.

701MBytes would be a pretty painful download for most people, even if they have ADSL or a cable modem. I do use some software that is shipped electronically (VERITAS Backup Exec for Windows Servers 9.1), and at around a 400MByte download, that does take a while even over a broadband Internet link.

As maps are not usually updated for around a year, and shipping physical CDs with a product code label inside saves all the customer service hassle of people whose product codes for online software purchases have been lost, I doubt we'll see TomTom change their current distribution method unless something about the product changes (for example, a move to more regular map updates by subscription, or the ability to 'roll your own' maps with just the regions you want - both of which are used by some of TomTom's competitors).

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: