Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Software Bug
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Software Bug
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm power off clears it but preserves all the current route data.

My guess is that they are using some in memory array for logging GPS positions while enruite. This array is either getting just far too big, and hogging all the available RAM, or more likely the software is set to traverse the array for some reason everytime around the main loop, and when it grows it hoggs the CPU.

My blind guess is that the array needs to be reduced in size by some housekeeping routines, or software re-designed so that the array is not needed.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
Can you quantify what 'larger' is/means ? 20miles ? 30/40 or more ?
I can't I'm afraid. All I know is that I sent them an 81 miles route created on a Garmin that I'd loaded into the A10 and which seemed to throw it and separately, I've input 15 routes averaging about 35 miles each which also stimulated the dreaded lock/slow up. However, it's notable that Garmin generated routes have many more trackpoints than routes created by the Satmap and if you save and retain Satmap generated routes there may be no problem. The Satmap lays down trackpoints only every 30 seconds or so, which is fine for walking but gives a rather "coarse" route if cycling. A difficulty might however arise when people have a library of routes from other sources which are comparatively data heavy, depending on how they were generated.
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My route was an 8 mile walk which lasted 3 hours. Noticeable slow down started after 1.5 hours in. I have the A10 set to Advanced powersave with its logging frequency.
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
The Satmap lays down trackpoints only every 30 seconds or so, which is fine for walking but gives a rather "coarse" route if cycling.

I'm pretty sure my SatMap lays down track points far more frequently than 30 seconds though I may of course be misinterpreting the data.. See this extract:-

2008-04-15T18:19:24Z
2008-04-15T18:20:23Z
2008-04-15T18:20:30Z
2008-04-15T18:20:38Z
2008-04-15T18:20:48Z
2008-04-15T18:20:49Z

The board does not seem to allow a full quote from the gpx file believing this to be html code!
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-K wrote:
The board does not seem to allow a full quote from the gpx file believing this to be html code!

GPX files are in a form of XML which is a ASCII (Text) representation of data. This allows for human readability and the transfer of data through firewalls, which block binary files.
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I realise gpx files are not html code, the issue is this board doesn't allow the .gpx files to be quoted as it believes them to be html code (so it reports when you try to do it.)
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-K wrote:
Yes I realise gpx files are not html code, the issue is this board doesn't allow the .gpx files to be quoted as it believes them to be html code (so it reports when you try to do it.)

Sorry I misread your post, just trying to add some info. I was not tring to wind you up:-(
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-K wrote:
PloddinPedro wrote:
The Satmap lays down trackpoints only every 30 seconds or so, which is fine for walking but gives a rather "coarse" route if cycling.
I'm pretty sure my SatMap lays down track points far more frequently than 30 seconds though I may of course be misinterpreting the data.. See this extract:-

2008-04-15T18:19:24Z
2008-04-15T18:20:23Z
2008-04-15T18:20:30Z
2008-04-15T18:20:38Z
2008-04-15T18:20:48Z
2008-04-15T18:20:49Z

I base my comment on conversations with Satmap. I wonder which file you are analysing from your A10? The .map file created when you "convert trail to track" is quite small compared to the two .gpx files also created at the same time. Satmap implemented these two .gpx files to help people who wanted all the raw data for analysis and editing off the A10. These two .gpx files are many times the size of their .map equivalent.

For example, I recorded a 61 miles cycle ride on the Satmap and exported/copied out the three consequent files. The export process automatically converts the .map files into .gpx format. When I open the .map derived file in Memory Map it opens as a "route"; convert this to a track and it will display 578 trackpoints; examination of these trackpoints shows they carry no date and timestamp data; the route is described as 60.3 miles. If I go through the same process with the equivalent .gpx file, it opens in MMap as a track with 12,192 trackpoints, laid down at varying intervals of between one and five seconds; this file retains its date and timestamp data. The length is shown as 62.6 miles; upon close inspection it can be seen that the difference in length is attibutable to the "corner cutting" resulting from much less frequent trackpoint marking in the .map file. As I said earlier, this has been corroborated in conversations with Satmap. Have you perhaps based your comments on one of the .gpx files?
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
I wonder which file you are analysing from your A10?

As I said, the .gpx file. I get about 6 entries a minute looking at the .map file.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: