Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Traffic is there!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Traffic is there!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: TomTom Traffic is there! Reply with quote

I've just downloaded the TomTom traffic wizard and plug in!

You need your CD key to do this.
paulwilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see it, what is the link please ?
Razer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant see it either :|
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t been able to access any part of TomTom’s website since lunch time today.

Well spotted MrT! Thumbs Up Have you tried it yet? If so what’s it like? Is the Traffic info any good?

Regards,
Robert.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started at http://pda.tomtom.com/traffic from the PDA where I had to validate my TomTom account details, then back to the web at www.tomtom.com/traffic, but I cannot seem to get back in. Maybe they are working on it.

You need a TomTom online account and you need your CD key to register and get your Traffic Account. They email you the traffic account details which you have to enter into the PDA then verify the account. It will certainly stop the people with pirate copies from using the service.

The traffic certainly slows down the start up of TomTom. In addition to Navigator and Map you now also get an extra map with the traffic on it. At incidents you get like a load of crawling ants along the road with an icon to show you whether it is a block (congestion) or accident or road works. There are also icons for snow, fog, wind etc. It adds a large bar to the left of the navigator screen which represents your total trip and shows incidents along this line representing your trip. It reflects the information I can see on TrafficMaster. You can see the current chaos on the M3 J5.

You can set it to update at certain intervals and over the past two hours at a 5 min update interval it has downloaded 24KB. (it measures the data). If there are incidents on your route it displays then in a ticker display and can automatically re-route or you can do it from the alternative routes option. It does seem to slow things down a little when scrollling maps. Incidently the traffic map and normal map do not synchronsie scroll. The traffic map appears to have less roads than the normal so I assume it is the normal major routes traffic coverage.

I see that TomTom were making it clear that they will not provide any support for GPRS setup issues although there are some comprehensive pages and links.

It now means that I don't need my TrafficMaster YQ on the dash as well and my Traffic-I is about to expire.
Dodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I started at http://pda.tomtom.com/traffic from the PDA where I had to validate my TomTom account details, then back to the web at www.tomtom.com/traffic, but I cannot seem to get back in. Maybe they are working on it.

I couldn't get in either until I realised you'd made a typo on the URL above, you've accidentally added a comma at the end Smile

Dave.
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On what roads is traffic info provided?

I.e is it only motorways or A roads or all roads?

Where does this traffic data originate from ? trafficmaster etc?
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom doesn't want to let me in to their site this morning. I can get to http://support.tomtom.com/traffic/guide/uk/ and start following the steps. After step 3 I am prompted to login. When I try to do so, with a support account I set up some time ago (and which still works) I get logged in but then the page it tries to go to (http://support.tomtom.com/traffic/mytraffic.php?encoded_email=bmVpbEB0aWxkZS5jby51aw**) is not found!

So, I tried to create a new support account with a different e-mail address. It will not let me login, saying something is invalid. OK, maybe I mistyped the address or password. I tried to re-create the account in case the address was wrong, but it says account exists already. So, I ask to be mailed the password, and it says the account does not exist!

Anyone else having these problems this morning? Or know of the URL where a traffic account can be created once you're logged in?

Neil
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS I also have an e-mail from TomTom confirming my account and password, but they do not work when cut and paste into the support login page.
PeteT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil

I got it all set up last night, and it worked fine. however this morning it wouldn't retrieve any traffic info. I tried to reactivate it and this failed aswell.

Pete
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, let's clarify one thing - the Traffic user name and password goes into the Traffic tab on the properties page of TomTom Navigator. You use your email address and MyTomTom password on the support site.

Traffic has indeed disappeared this morning, about half an hour ago - both the support site mytraffic.php stuff has gone, and TomTom Traffic has stopped working on the Pocket PC too (the latter is giving "Access denied by TomTom Traffic, check login and password"). As there's no official launch announcement yet, this is probably not too surprising.

The only hassle will be if it doesn't return with all the accounts intact or people's Navigator Product Codes reset so that you can start a new three month trial. If it was only a test and they were intending to wipe account details, TomTom should have either posted a prominent warning on the pages themselves or not allowed the general public to activate.

I suspect it'll return at some point fairly soon - and I'm expecting that the accounts that people had set up will be intact unless the information has been lost by TomTom, as there's no reason to destroy them deliberately.

David
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this thread.

What we saw was a test, and TomTom are apparently deleting test accounts periodically. I suggest it's left well alone until it's clear that the service has launched, which I hope will be soon.

David
rich33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Deleting Traffic Reply with quote

Hi

Is it worth deleting 'Traffic' or shall I just leave it on for the time being? If I do delete Traffic how will this effect Navigator?!?

cheers

Rich
Ipaq 4150 - Fortuna Clip On BT - Lexar 256mb SD Card / Kingston 256mb SD Card - TomTom Nav 3.05T - Traffic - CheckPOInt 2.0.2.0 - Mapopolis - Memory Map 2004 UK - Brodit Mount - & BT Registry Fix (recommended!)
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hope TomTom do not take too long. Without Traffic I have only half the product.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Deleting Traffic Reply with quote

rich33 wrote:
Hi

Is it worth deleting 'Traffic' or shall I just leave it on for the time being? If I do delete Traffic how will this effect Navigator?!?
cheers
Rich

Apart from it being slower to start up there's no need to uninstall the Traffic Plug-in as it will have no detrimental effects Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: