Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Harman Kardon GPS 500
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Harman Kardon GPS 500
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
granite-silver
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi , I've also paid for the update but mobile camera's are not showing on map view or during navigation only fixed camera's are shown, although both files are on my sd card Mobile.spe and fix.spe , with the two different camera icons .

Would anybody confirm that mobile camera's and fixed camera's are showing on your GPS500 please, many thanks.

If i can get this to work will keep and not return to Morrisons - as begining to like it more than my Tomtom !
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

granite-silver wrote:
Hi , I've also paid for the update but mobile camera's are not showing on map view or during navigation only fixed camera's are shown, although both files are on my sd card Mobile.spe and fix.spe , with the two different camera icons .

Would anybody confirm that mobile camera's and fixed camera's are showing on your GPS500 please, many thanks.

If i can get this to work will keep and not return to Morrisons - as begining to like it more than my Tomtom !

Thats an interesting point.. I haven't got the update yet but will update you hopefully Tuesday/Wednesday.
However, I wonder how they can tell in advance where a MOBILE cam will be.. perhaps your map doesn't show any cos they aren't there.. if u see what I mean.. Around Kent they tend to sit on bridges over the motorway or dual carraigeways and even the local radio only give vague general daily locations.
I wonder how other Satnavs do it ?????
BunnyBallerina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got the TMC working on this in the UK? Many thanks.
terrywallis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BunnyBallerina wrote:
Has anyone got the TMC working on this in the UK? Many thanks.

I think TMC is only available by subscription in the UK. I understand it is broadcast on the Classic FM network.
granite-silver
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windup wrote:
granite-silver wrote:

Thats an interesting point.. I haven't got the update yet but will update you hopefully Tuesday/Wednesday.
However, I wonder how they can tell in advance where a MOBILE cam will be.. perhaps your map doesn't show any cos they aren't there.. if u see what I mean.. Around Kent they tend to sit on bridges over the motorway or dual carraigeways and even the local radio only give vague general daily locations.
I wonder how other Satnavs do it ?????

There's 2 locations near my home were mobile cameras operate. Speed camera warning signs are shown permenty and a mobile unit parks up nearby occasionally. These mobile points show on my tomtom and talex systems, but not the gps-500 . Why ?
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Harman Kardon GPS500 UPDATE Reply with quote

UPDATE.

Oh dear... oh dear o dear.
I've taken it back for a refund.
As I tried to get more info about updating the Speed cams I got worried about reports in this forum with problems about the device not finding all the Cams in people's locale.
I spoke to HK support, but also asked about Map updates. They said that the general map updates would only be done every 2 years with the next one due 2009.
So this morning I tried to find a very prominent road ( Canterbury Rd) in my home town Folkestone which I obviously knew where it was.
I keyed in the post code, which was not recognised.. I keyed in the road name and was given just one option for a Canterbury Rd in a village 10 miles out of town.
Strangely, I experimented and keyed in a post code for a minor road adjacent to Canterbury Rd, which it identified immediately.

So, all in all, this device is not fully mapped and the Cam updates appear duff also. Buyer beware.
I spoke to Morrisons head office and apparently each store manager has control of refunds, so if u take one back, be polite but firm.
I got my refund. Shame tho, I was getting to like it.
mwayman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: HK gps 500, further info/experience. Reply with quote

Decided not to return to store just yet, but to give it a little longer to get acquainted! Re postcodes. You can only input 3 digits max. You then have the option of scrolling through 10/20/30 permutations of additional postcodes. If you're lucky, you may find the one you want. If not, you have to put in street name and house number. If you have those then it will guide you to your destination. If not, you could end up yards or miles from your destination.
I managed to download the POI Warner speedcam database and install it.
However, despite saying 19 euros, I see my account has been debited £19. In the last 2 days I have driven circa 600 miles. Many of the warnings have been for cameras which no longer exist or which are on another road as much as half a mile away. The constant 'chirpy chirpy cheep cheep' warnings for the camera sites soon become easy to ignore.
I've now set it up to only alert me when over the speed limit.
However, for £99 and for someone doing the odd trip here or there, it's a good buy. Cosmetically, it's the best satnav I've seen.
One of the failings of all theses PND's is there inability to put multiple stops(waypoints)in a logical order/route. This is important if, like me, you have many destinations to visit per day. I still have to use my laptop with Msoft Autoroute 2007 to do that. Talking of satnav on a laptop, there has never been a better solution than Sony Streetmate. Ordnance Survey maps, text to speech, a quality remote control, POI which show BP,Shell etc for fuel, NatWest,Barclays etc for banks. Unfortunately, it is no longer supported by Sony and it wont work on any OS after Win98SE.
I'm now on my 5th PND and none of them have come close to Streetmate apart from being quicker to get up and running and carry around. Finances permitting, my next PND will be a TomTom720T. Will this be my GPS nirvana? Somehow I doubt it!
mwayman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: HK GPS500 Reply with quote

Furthermore, despite having the TMC active and settings informing me that all's well, Im still waiting to hear/see something despite being in a few hold ups recently. Think I'll give it another week and then pass it on to my family, like all the others!
terrywallis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mywayman. Your post is the second I have seen that says you can only enter part of a postcode onto the GPS500. One said 4 letters, yours says 3, and yet my unit definately accepts all seven letters! I,ve just done it once again to check! OK, you have to switch between letters & numbers, and leave a space after the first 4 letters/numbers, but how else would you enter it? Perhaps my gadget has a different operating system?

Regards Terry
terrywallis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: HK GPS500 Reply with quote

mwayman wrote:
Furthermore, despite having the TMC active and settings informing me that all's well, Im still waiting to hear/see something despite being in a few hold ups recently. Think I'll give it another week and then pass it on to my family, like all the others!
I think TMC is only available by subscription in the UK. Apparently it is available on the Classic FM network.
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrywallis wrote:
Hi Mywayman. Your post is the second I have seen that says you can only enter part of a postcode onto the GPS500. One said 4 letters, yours says 3, and yet my unit definately accepts all seven letters! I,ve just done it once again to check! OK, you have to switch between letters & numbers, and leave a space after the first 4 letters/numbers, but how else would you enter it? Perhaps my gadget has a different operating system?

Regards Terry

Terry,
This is why I decided to return mine. It appears the map does not have complete database of postcodes. The road it couldn't find, which is in centre town, it only took the first 4 char, then asked for the name and could only find one match.. miles away. Try CT19 5NH and see what u get. Then try CT19 6QP and you'll see the Canterbury Rd it should have found is next door.
Obviously, if it has the full postcode it will find no problem.
However, if yours finds the road it should have, you may have a newer map which would be very interesting.
terrywallis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Windup

How strange! If I enter CT19 5NH (which the GPS500 lets me) it plants a flag on the map on the south side of Canterbury Road West of its junction with Dover Road. If I enter CT19 6QP it plants a flag North of the first flag, South of Alexandra Street. In other words my gadget accepts both full postcodes and appears to (as far as I can tell) locate them accurately on its map. I've no idea whats going on here, unless your unit was faulty in some way. Whatever, it seems you did the sensible thing in returning it!

Regards, Terry
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrywallis wrote:
Hi Windup

How strange! If I enter CT19 5NH (which the GPS500 lets me) it plants a flag on the map on the south side of Canterbury Road West of its junction with Dover Road. If I enter CT19 6QP it plants a flag North of the first flag, South of Alexandra Street. In other words my gadget accepts both full postcodes and appears to (as far as I can tell) locate them accurately on its map. I've no idea whats going on here, unless your unit was faulty in some way. Whatever, it seems you did the sensible thing in returning it!

Regards, Terry

Ooooh thats so annoying to hear, cos I really liked it in many ways but like others the post codes was obviously a problem.
What is your software version level ?
(UNLESS.., as part of the Cam update you get a postcode update as well.. which would make sense to enable location of cams Rolling Eyes )
maybe others can say if theirs is lower.. I didn't make a note of mine so can't compare unfortunately. Looking at Tomtoms now but they aren't perfect either.. but they got voices.
willieworm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: harman kardon Reply with quote

Hiya i am glad to tell you i took my satnav back to morrissons today!!
so goodbye to a load of rubbish!!
i just told them that it was not as the sales assistant sold it as there are no speed cameras installed on it!!
thanks for replying to you all
debs Very Happy Laughing
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: postcodes Reply with quote

Terry,
sorry to labour the point again but I been looking at the Myguide 3100 as a recommended alternative, which seems to have a very similar IGO system to the 500.
AND.. someone put on a review of the 3100 that you had to put in a space after the first 4 char or u didn't get the opportunity for the full 7 digits.
I just wondered if that was something so simple I hadn't done on my 500..but surely I must have tried to ????.. bit late now of course but it is REALLY bugging me.
Could you try that or confirm otherwise with the postcode I gave you what happens if u don't put the space in....... Grrrrrrrrrrr. Shocked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: