Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Announces cf Que
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Announces cf Que
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Garmin Announces cf Que Reply with quote

The cf Que 1620 is a CompactFlash® GPS module with street-level, turn-by-turn navigation applications for personal digital assistants (PDAs) that operate on the PocketPC platform. This module features Garmins new Que technology, which delivers high-performance GPS location, mapping, and navigation capabilities to handheld devices.

Features:-
- Location awareness, address and points-of-interest look-up features, electronic mapping, automatic route generation, and off-route recalculation
- Basemap with highways, major streets, rivers, lakes, coastal waters, and significant borders
- 64 MB of memory that can store detailed map data from Garmin?s exclusive line of MapSource cartography (MapSource CD-ROMs can give the user access to detailed backcountry contour maps, digital maps of fishing lakes, and electronic offshore navigation charts)
- PC software provides trip planning plus waypoint and route storage
- Voice guidance (on PocketPCs equipped with audio capabilities)
- Sleek design doesn't add bulk to your handheld
- Flip-up antenna can be adjusted to optimize GPS reception whether the PocketPC is secured in a vehicle with a PDA mount (included) or carried by hand
- Measures 1.7" W x 2.0" H x 0.5" D (4.3 x 5.1 x 1.3 cm) and weighs only 1.5 oz.
- Installs securely in a standard Type I or Type II CompactFlash slot
- Universal PDA mount (included) allows optimum positioning of PocketPCs on most dashboards and windshields
- Comes with the MapSource City Select® (U.S./Canada or Europe)
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder - can you only use it with Garmin software (as you can with the GPS hardware in the Palm OS based iQue), or can it be used with standard GPS software (that is, NMEA 0183 data on a 4800bps serial port).

If they've built in just 64MB of memory, that seems small to me - why not have a SD slot embedded instead, or simply not bother, save the money, and suggest people use their SD slot instead. Most Pocket PCs that have a CompactFlash slot also have a SD slot.

Overall, I wonder why Garmin are bothering with a CompactFlash GPS at this point. Whilst I'm delighted with my HI-303MMF, increasingly Pocket PCs are getting smaller, which tends to preclude having a CompactFlash slot. At this stage, I'd have thought releasing a Bluetooth GPS would be a better idea.

Garmin must have done their market research, though, and I suppose some people will buy systems just because it's Garmin.

David
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately wonder what software they will be using? I had a Ique 3600 and loved the mapping program. The pda itself sucked, was too big, and had poor batery life. If only the software is the same AND it works with other devices like my clip-on, I'd definately try/buy.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
I wonder - can you only use it with Garmin software (as you can with the GPS hardware in the Palm OS based iQue), or can it be used with standard GPS software (that is, NMEA 0183 data on a 4800bps serial port).

I would think (and this needs to be clarified) that it's probably not using NMEA 0183 as I would think what Garmin have done is loaded a ROM on the CF card with their usual Garmin City Navigator software and probably little more than this.

DavidW wrote:
If they've built in just 64MB of memory, that seems small to me - why not have a SD slot embedded instead, or simply not bother, save the money, and suggest people use their SD slot instead. Most Pocket PCs that have a CompactFlash slot also have a SD slot.

Yeah first of all I read it as 64mb being the memory in the PPC (as this is 64mb in most cases), but I suspect it's enough to load maps to it and the program data. TBH I think this will be severely a limitation unless people who purchase it have a dual card slot on their Pocket PC.

DavidW wrote:
Overall, I wonder why Garmin are bothering with a CompactFlash GPS at this point. Whilst I'm delighted with my HI-303MMF, increasingly Pocket PCs are getting smaller, which tends to preclude having a CompactFlash slot. At this stage, I'd have thought releasing a Bluetooth GPS would be a better idea.

I think Garmin are now starting to see their lead slipping away because there is a new section of the market evolving (PDA's) and they're realising to keep the lead in the overall GPS market they have to address this. I think Bluetooth will be the way to go, and I'd like to see this embedded into all Garmin handhelds and I can't see any reason why they can't do this, and it's been something the team (or certainly Mike and I) have been longing after for quite some time now.

UHF wrote:
I definately wonder what software they will be using? I had a Ique 3600 and loved the mapping program. The pda itself sucked, was too big, and had poor batery life. If only the software is the same AND it works with other devices like my clip-on, I'd definately try/buy.

They'll be using City Navigator I suspect. Don't forget the Garmin range especially the Street Pilot and iQue all run a processor that's compatible with Palm and Garmin do have a long standing relationship with Palm, so I suspect it's just a complete port. I suspect their software won't work with other GPS Receivers, they'll most surely be locked to the Garmin protocol.
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO it is always good seeing a big brand add credence to other hardware combos. Perhaps this is a case of mapping software leaving the bespoke brand holders standing (Magellan too)?

How many times do we see a product full of imposed limitations lose a market lead to innovation on an 'open' platform?

C'mon Garmin and Magellan, catch up. Give the consumers integration rather than limitation. A nice handheld with bluetooth coms avoids all that bespoke cabling trailing in at £30+, maps that really can be ported over (if software companies can do it well ...)

For example. how about a SporTrak Color with bluetooth that will talk to my PDA (PPC or Palm) that will take proper maps, have a low power (eg screen off) GPS datalogging so at activate all appears pretty darned quickly.

For now my money is in my pocket and that is where its gonna stay - handheld GPS units with bluetooth, colour screens with lo-power options, datalogging facility, transferrable maps without proprietary limitations inbuilt, proper integration across laptop, PDA, ... might just encourage me to part with my dosh.

A handheld sending GPS data by bluetooth to my street mapped PDA in lo-power mode - ah the possibilities are endless. Do I have to start my own company first?

[b]the bagal has landed[/b]
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see Bluetooth in handheld GPSes as well - just think of the extra possibilities that would open up. Apart from the Fortuna unit (which, I gather, is not exactly the best handheld GPS), I don't think anyone has yet released a handheld GPS with Bluetooth.

I'm a bit surprised at Garmin - I would have thought a handheld GPS with Bluetooth, especially if the Bluetooth is implemented fully - map upload, waypoint upload and download as well as the ability to use the GPS with external mapping software over the serial port profile (please, no proprietary nonsense over that last point) would be a more welcome product than this CompactFlash card.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin are unfortunately a company behind the times when it comes to technology. Some areas they're fine with, but take a look it's only recently they've switched to using USB cables on some of the newer GPS models, most still use serial cables :o

They can be forward thinking when they want to, like with the 2620 using a 2gb hard drive (although a lot of people myself included have been doing this for years on their PDA's).
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, it is not just Garmin.

I think Sliva may be looking at the bluetooth route. I seem to recall seeing an online AVI - best I can recall is the company is connected with Norway.

I suppose I can get some bells n whistles from my PDA so there is a positive approach in integrating functionality.

All I need is a GPS handheld that talks outside its own family :-)

B
Blackbird
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dave,

(Information collected and freely translated from a comparative test)

The 2620 has some advantages, but shows also disadvantages compared to the 2610.

1. The 2620 is a bit slower than the 2610, because of the microdrive; is a harddrive at low speed. Noticable slower calculation for longer trips.

2. Speaking about "hard-disk-drive", I wouldn' consider to take the unit on a motorbike and "drive hard"; such disk is mecanical and is more fragile.

3. One doesn't "need" the use of a PC. That's one way to tell it.
Another way to look at it : It is impossible to to prepare a route with a PC, like on other Garmin units. Streetpilot 2620 comes without mapsource software on CD ! (End quote)

About Garmin's marketing attitudes : There is nothing more to add to all the comments and considerations given here. I already reported this to Garmin. Hopefuly the will get the message.
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping With Joy

Wahay!

I've just noticed I have been labelled Advanced

Gosh - I hope I do not let any1 down

the bagal has landed
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackbird wrote:
1. The 2620 is a bit slower than the 2610, because of the microdrive; is a harddrive at low speed. Noticable slower calculation for longer trips.

Yeah, any device using a hard drive will be slower than solid state memory cards. I find this a lot on the MicroDrives. You see a performance drop off, but you gain in disk capacity.

Blackbird wrote:
2. Speaking about "hard-disk-drive", I wouldn' consider to take the unit on a motorbike and "drive hard"; such disk is mecanical and is more fragile.

Correct, I believe Garmin have suggested to retailers not to sell them for motorbike use, mainly due to the higher vibrations found on bikes compared with cars.

Blackbird wrote:
3. One doesn't "need" the use of a PC. That's one way to tell it.
Another way to look at it : It is impossible to to prepare a route with a PC, like on other Garmin units. Streetpilot 2620 comes without mapsource software on CD ! (End quote)

Yep, there's no CD's period. No way to re-install. The garmin maps are supposed to be protected on an area of disk to avoid accidental overwriting, but apart from the if the disk goes down or you magnetise it accidentally, you are screwed. However, Garmin have always been good with returns and I suspect Garmin will be sympathetic to people having problems and will quickly rectify it, but I am a little disappointed that there are no CD's shipped with it.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB wrote:
Jumping With Joy

Wahay!

I've just noticed I have been labelled Advanced

Yep, you've crossed that barrier and you can't go back. Feel any different ? Wink
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will attempt to honour and respect the label and, of course, make my apologies now for the occasions where I slip up either in content or HTML coding

(This has happened already)

It must be the quality of the forum - usually I am shown the door?
jlw
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when will this be released?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin are suggesting a 2-3 months release date.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: