Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 250 doesn't accept spoken camera alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 250 doesn't accept spoken camera alerts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farcrygamer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Nuvi 250 doesn't accept spoken camera alerts Reply with quote

Hi guys and gals,

I recently bought a nuvi 250 and i seam to be a bit unlucky with it. First there was a problem with car charger and now a bit different problem.

I tried to load camera database together with corresponding spoken alerts in wav format.

Poiloader starts fine but at the and it says that the audio files are not in required format.

Then i tried the same with mp3 format alerts and every seamed fine. No error messages or any other questions.

On the road i noticed that i don't have spoken alerts. It displays the camera warning correctly but it still uses factory set beeps or so.

Is this normal with basic models of nuvi or it's just mine one that gives headache?

Cheers

Igor
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is normal on models that don't have the mp3 player - it seems you need the mp3 player for the spoken alerts to work.

POILoader needs the files in mp3. Wavs where only supported during a test phase and then dropped.
farcrygamer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Very Happy

You're a true genius for garmins

Is there any trick to install the mp3 player into nuvi 250?

Cheers
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there any trick to install the mp3 player into nuvi 250?

Only to ask Garmin nicely to include it in a Firmware upgrade, I'm afraid. Wink
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 250 doesn't accept spoken camera alerts Reply with quote

farcrygamer wrote:
I tried to load camera database together with corresponding spoken alerts in wav format.

Poiloader starts fine but at the and it says that the audio files are not in required format.

Garmin removed the support for .WAV files from POI Loader. However, the earlier version(s) - that did support them - are still available here: http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/
I can't remember exactly which version supprted .WAVs (I think it was 2.4.0.0 - aka POILoader_2400Beta.exe).

I wouldn't recommend using this version for anything other than this specific task. I don't remember getting a choice of where it was installed, so you might have to copy it somewhere else after installation and then re-install the latest version for general use. There's no problem having multiple versions installed.

People definitely reported the .WAV's working with the Nüvi 2xx series - but I never got the StreetPilot C510 to do the same.
farcrygamer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news :-_

I'll try my luck this evening when i get home.

Thank you very much

Igor
farcrygamer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 250 doesn't accept spoken camera alerts Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
farcrygamer wrote:

Garmin removed the support for .WAV files from POI Loader. However, the earlier version(s) - that did support them - are still available here: http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/
I can't remember exactly which version supprted .WAVs (I think it was 2.4.0.0 - aka POILoader_2400Beta.exe).

I wouldn't recommend using this version for anything other than this specific task. I don't remember getting a choice of where it was installed, so you might have to copy it somewhere else after installation and then re-install the latest version for general use. There's no problem having multiple versions installed.

People definitely reported the .WAV's working with the Nüvi 2xx series - but I never got the StreetPilot C510 to do the same.

Works a treat :-)

Thank you so much.
MikeGordon
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Did it work? Camera voice warnings on nüvi 250 Reply with quote

I have just taken a new nüvi 250 for its first run after downloading the GPS World camera database and noticed the lack of voice messages. I found this thread and wondered whether the fix actually works? (The TomToms used OGG files, and before that we had to do a few more fiddly bits and pieces, so are there any WAV files actually created for the Garmin, or does it not work in this fashion.)

Thanks for all the info from everyone in the forum. The manual is so sparse and Garmin's website does not seem to offer any recognition of the nüvi in its drop down lists. It would be nice to know whether you can replace Helga as the voice?, can you get a QWERTY keyboard?, that kind of stuff, but the device does work straight out of the box.

Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would be nice to know whether you can replace Helga as the voice?,

If you install and use WebUpdater it'll offer you a few more voices. Not sure about 3rd party ones though.

Quote:
can you get a QWERTY keyboard?

This was introduced with the 7xx series i'm afraid.

Quote:
The TomToms used OGG files, and before that we had to do a few more fiddly bits and pieces, so are there any WAV files actually created for the Garmin, or does it not work in this fashion.

If you download the OGG files from here you'll have to convert them to wav using a suitable piece of software such as Audacity.
Jibee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 250 doesn't accept spoken camera alerts Reply with quote

farcrygamer wrote:

Works a treat :-)

Thank you so much.

Can you explain a little bit more? I tried several times with this version of POILoader but never succeded. I'm sure the produced file contains the wav file as it is bigger but the "Ding" remains.

Which wav format did you use?

Thanks.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 250 doesn't accept spoken camera alerts Reply with quote

Jibee wrote:
Can you explain a little bit more? I tried several times with this version of POILoader but never succeded. I'm sure the produced file contains the wav file as it is bigger but the "Ding" remains.

Which wav format did you use?

.WAV support has been put back into POI Loader V2.5.2. As well as being undocumented, the change is not complete - Garmin forgot to ship SOX.EXE with it. (POILoader will tell you where it expects to find it.)

Sox is available from http://sourceforge.net/projects/sox/. POILoader uses it to convert your .wav file to 44.1KHz, mono.
moobax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 250 doesn't accept spoken camera alerts Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
.WAV support has been put back into POI Loader V2.5.2. As well as being undocumented, the change is not complete - Garmin forgot to ship SOX.EXE with it. (POILoader will tell you where it expects to find it.)

Awesome, thanks for this info! Alerts working nicely on my 255W. I love the contrast between the normal woman and the gruff bloke ("Gatso, thirty").
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 250 doesn't accept spoken camera alerts Reply with quote

moobax wrote:
Awesome, thanks for this info! Alerts working nicely on my 255W. I love the contrast between the normal woman and the gruff bloke ("Gatso, thirty").

Heh heh, sounds like that's my set - I've never been called gruff before though Shocked Wink
mort66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: dnx5220 Reply with quote

hi all, can you add the voice alerts to this model ?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kenwood models don't appear to support Voice Alerts either.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: