Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MemMap routes ex WalkingWorld and SatSync
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MemMap routes ex WalkingWorld and SatSync
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

With ref. to walkingworld files:
Save as .mmo files

Then use the GPS utility to open and then save as .GPX file. (free version is ok)

You can then import to SATMAP using the satSYNC software.
lxm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: MemMap routes ex WalkingWorld and SatSync Reply with quote

Georgie_Clo wrote:
Hi Guys,
Have any of you early adopters of SatSync downloaded/uploaded any of the walks listed on www.walkingworld.com??
If so, what steps / software did you go through to get the routes onto SatMap - and have you had any issues?
Thanks
Geo.

Yes, I have been doing this. It is easy-peasy. All you need to do is
1. download the .mmo file from Walkingworld.com (click on "Get Memory-Map route for this walk"), and save it to a convenient place on your PC.
2. Open the .mmo file using a conversion utility such as GPSU (download from www.gpsu.co.uk)
3. Save the .mmo file "as" a .gpx file in GPSU
4. Connect your A10 to your PC, and open Satsync
5. "Import" the .gpx file that you have just created, and it will be converted to a .map file which the A10 can read.
6. Turn your A10 off and on again (who knows why, but it is necessary)
6. On your A10 go to Routes and rename the route which will probably have an unhelpful number as its name. (I'm still working on how to get the names right before importing).

What you won't get are the comments, or any altitude data from the original .mmo file, which is a shame, but the route will be on your A10. If you want to get the altitude data you can create it on the A10 by editing the route and just tweaking each of the waypoints by a couple of metres and then they will be updated with the altitude data from the A10 map (assuming you have the OS map for the relevant area loaded).

Good luck.

lxm
Georgie_Clo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, LXM......
Since posting, GPSU is the way I've gone...will need to get the registered version tho' for the full routes ex walkingworld.
Got a pal to try converting a couple of files in M/Map - the .gpx result seems one heck of a sight bigger, although they successfully load into SatMap.

Rgds
Geo.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: MemMap routes ex WalkingWorld and SatSync Reply with quote

lxm wrote:
Georgie_Clo wrote:
Have any of you early adopters of SatSync downloaded/uploaded any of the walks listed on www.walkingworld.com? ... what steps / software did you go through to get the routes onto SatMap?Geo.
Yes, I have been doing this. It is easy-peasy. All you need to do is
1. download the .mmo file from Walkingworld.com ......... and save it
2. Open the .mmo file using a conversion utility such as GPSU (download from www.gpsu.co.uk)
3. Save the .mmo file "as" a .gpx file in GPSU.....................
Is it necessary to go via a conversion utility? If you download a .mmo file and open it in Memory Map you can convert it to .gpx format by using "Export [Visible]" from the Overlay drop down menu and amending the file type to .gpx as you re-save it. This can then be imported straight into the Active 10. I hasten to add I haven't actually done this using www.walkingworld.com files but I have done it using track files created in Garmin Mapsource and saved there as .gpx files before importing them into Memory Map. The only issue I've come across is where the Garmin generated track file had too many trackpoints. I had to filter it down to a maximum 500 points, which I would have had to do anyway if I wanted to upload it into a Garmin GPS unit.
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it necessary to go via a conversion utility? If you download a .mmo file and open it in Memory Map you can convert it to .gpx format by using "Export [Visible]"

Yes if you haven't got Memory Map, No otherwise!
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Yes if you haven't got Memory Map, No otherwise!
Fair point! I assumed that if the file was downloaded as an .mmo file, Memory Map would be present - can you download routes from walkingworld only as .mmo files?
lxm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only download from Walkingworld as *.mmo (Memory Map) files or *.rxf (Route Transfer Format), and unless you have Memory Map you need a converter to use either of those on the A10.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate this is a pain, but any chance of a step by step, (very simple) for real novices, and posted as a sticky ? Half of this stuff is all new and over my head at the moment Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: