Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 720 - Excellent but flawed mobile connections
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 720 - Excellent but flawed mobile connections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uknaughtydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Go 720 - Excellent but flawed mobile connections Reply with quote

Hi,
I've just bought a Tomtom Go 720. Initial thoughts were very impressed.

But after a few days I've noticed the following problems:

When paired to a nokia N70 phone the speaker can vibrate badly making the call impossible to continue.

Somtimes calls are not routed automatically to the 720 unit, if i dial from the 720 the phone unit connects but no sound through the 720 speaker? I then switch back to mobile to find the call is half way through.

Can't pick up my text messages from the 720, ie all options are greyed out?

Is my unit broken or is this a software fault? Anybody else had similar problems?

This is really spoiling my enjoyement of what could be an excellent product.

Thanks for your help Confused
ixion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nokia N70 is not compatible for SMS with the TomTom unit see here http://www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility/?intPhone=202

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Go 720 - Excellent but flawed mobile connections Reply with quote

uknaughtydog wrote:
When paired to a nokia N70 phone the speaker can vibrate badly making the call impossible to continue.

Is your 720 on battery or 12v when this happens?
highlander317
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just had a go 720 with link 300 system fitted to my work van for a trial and i get the same effects if the volume is at 100%, overall the unit is rendered useless when this happens. The connection with my nokia 3109 loses connection then reconnects all the time. Also noticed my working day started about half a mile from my home when my van is kept on the drive bizzare
uknaughtydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I'm really cheesed off with my Tomtom 720, not because it's rubbish.
Far from rubbish it's brilliant; but the internal speaker vibration flaw is TOTALLY unacceptable from Tomtom.

I was not aware the N70 is incompatible with my Go 720. The phone is quite new and worked 100% without any problems on day 1 when paired with my new 720, with great clarity from the 720 speaker. Now on my second day of ownership the connection seems , and the speaker quality is appaling with vibration/ intrusion blocking out all conversation.

Only thing amazes me is how more Go 720 users have not witnessed these problems.

If i'm the only one or in the minority then can i take it back to the shop and get a replacement unit?

The problem started when running the unit from battery, but i don't see why that should be of any significance whatsoever?

Also the battery when fully charged provided about 2 hours service, the pdf manual said should get 5hours service?

I'm not happy at all.
This could be a great product but my unit has serious problems.
Any advice/ insight would be very grateful.

Thanks. Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uknaughtydog wrote:
The problem started when running the unit from battery, but i don't see why that should be of any significance whatsoever?
The battery alone is insufficient to provide the power required for the device while making a mobile phone call, it is supplied with a car charger cable which is supposed to be used. I have only experienced a couple of phone call problems in close to 10 months use with the 720, on both occasions the charger plug had fallen out - Mike
uknaughtydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mike, have you experienced thespeaker vibration which i have?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very difficult to say as I have never been in your car, if the device sounds like a machine gun constantly repeating the same part of a word before you either get tired of it and reset the unit or it re- boots of its own accord then yes, my unit has done this twice - Mike
uknaughtydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I really appreciate your help on this.

The symptoms you describe are the ones I have experienced.
In your opinon/ with your experience do you think this problem is a software issue? If so perhaps it could be patched with a firmware upgrade?

I'm surprised this error is not picked up in pre-release testing?

Its sounds as if you do not get the problem anymore? Presumably this is because you keep your unit hooked up to the car when making calls?

Thanks for your help and advice.
Best regards
Richard
uknaughtydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, just to finish off. Is this a problem which TomTom are aware of?

Frankley when I pay over £200 for something I don't think it is unreasonable to want the thing to work reliably.

When I was detaching the unit from the windscreen becuase of the infernal racket it was making, I was pulled over by the police.
You honestly couldn't make it up! The policeman was going to give me 3ponts and a fine, thankfully he let me off when I demonstrated the noise the stupid unit was making and distracting me.

I really think TomTom should do something about this.
What do you think?
Do you think this is acceptable?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what triggers this to occur, but the unit seem fine while using the vehicle power. I am sure the TomTom must be aware of this issue as they have had a fair number of devices returned because of the fault when you read through the forums.

A few users had their x20 units repaired by TomTom who seemed to be changing some FET's (a form of power transistor) within the device, this would suggest the fault is hardware related rather than software.

I am rather surprised when you say it cost over £200 and was a very recent purchase, how recent? I would be inclined to take it back (because of the fault) and demand a refund, then shop around you can pick up a 720 for less than £170 at the moment - Mike
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

£154 from comet with discount code and free delivery.
Easy devices too are £154 but they add the VAT.
highlander317
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a phone call today from customer support enquiring on how i was getting on with the trial of tom tom and link 300 system. Sadly for the bloke he called just as i was sat in traffic for the last hour and i gladly pointed out how useless their traffic info was, as the tom tom unit displayed the jam on the opposite side of the dual carridgeway. Needless to say i told him exactly what i thought of traffic info and it wasnt to polite, still cant understand how in this day and age they can get the wrong side of the road.
I told him about the problems i had if the unit was on 100% volume and that pretty much went unnoticed. As for customer support well i had the unit fitted just over 2 weeks ago and its taken them this long to get back to me about the volume problem, and when i explained that if the company i work for were to install these units into vans and possibly cars think we are talking close to 800 vehicles then if you look at other divisions of the company your looking at several 1000's, this of course made him listen a little more.

The idea of these units to the company i work for would be to replace the factory fitted unit and after market handsfree kit being installed well thats what the saleman explained to us. No way in a million years is this unit capable of holding a conversation if your driving a vauxhall combo van more than 5mph, or if the power lead is plugged in and the wipers are on, thats really annoying. I remember the guy actually saying i wouldnt need to use my bluetooth headset anymore with this unit, cor cant wait to tell him when i go to give the results of the trial, the poor bloke thiks hes on a winner with his commision hed earn on it, lets hope he never booked a holiday.

Cant wait to go back to using my more than capable streetpilot C510 yes its got none of the extra fancy bluetooth bits or play music and traffic is a bit hard to get but it does what its supposed to and thatll do me

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: