Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MioMap 3.3 for C710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MioMap 3.3 for C710
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now given 3.3 a spin. I did not find a lag in position as reported by retty. Well no more than the slight lag on 3.2 anyway. I have lost TMC al together in my area.
As I will have to do quite a lot of modding of the skin to get it too my liking, I'm reverting to 3.2 (You're right Sal).
As well as this, I have just (yesterday) bought a Honda with sat nav. I havn't had time to evaluate it properly yet, but suspect that I will not be able to use third party POIs for speed cams, so will be using the Mio mainly for cam alerts now rather than navigation.
I think that I will be looking for a compact Cam warning system, similar to the talex, but that will take our database. MaFt recently said 'watch this space for a future announcement' or perhaps someone will eventually hack the talex units.
I assume that Igo will not be available for the 710, because it is supposed to be 'locked down' so that no mods can be done other than by Mio update.
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:

The answer is certainly "no" - it isn't available as a *legally* implemented product for PNA devices. There are, of course, various hacks.

Navngo have no plans to provide any of their PDA products for PNA devices (I received an email response from the a couple of weeks ago which was clear about oem sources as the only resource for PNA owners).

Wonder if they will revise that thinking after the split with Mio? After all the hardware continues to work and there must be a significant number of Mio owners who would happily pay for continued upgrades.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

I assume that Igo will not be available for the 710, because it is supposed to be 'locked down' so that no mods can be done other than by Mio update.

If you REALLY wanted to use iGO, then it appears that iGO 2006 is still available:
http://www.navngo.com/pages/global/eng/igomw_description
You could use the standard unlock procedure mentioned somewhere around here to revert your C710 to a basic windows PDA and then install iGO6, but it would come with old maps of course. But what's wrong with the camera alerts on the Mio?

Sal
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:

If you REALLY wanted to use iGO, then it appears that iGO 2006 is still available:
But what's wrong with the camera alerts on the Mio?
Sal

Sal
Respectively: I don't. I was just responding to Retty. Cool
Nothing, that's why I am going to revert to 3.2 with our lovely cam db. Very Happy
Everything is becoming too difficult for me now. I think that I'll just go out and top myself. Sad . NO BELAY THAT. I'M GOING UP THE PUB FOE A PIE AND A PINT INSTEAD Very Happy Very Happy
Edit;
Just thought, If you were referring to my shiny new Honda sat nav. If it's any good at navigation, I just want a nice small descrete cam warner (Using our Db of course) that I can hide away somewhere in the car.
I like the large Honda display, but we will see what the maps and routing is like in the fullness of time.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
NO BELAY THAT. I'M GOING UP THE PUB FOE A PIE AND A PINT INSTEAD

That's the most sensible thing I've heard here for months

M8TJT wrote:
Just thought, If you were referring to my shiny new Honda sat nav.

An integrated satnav is by far the best arrangement and they will very soon be standard fit in all cars. It's just a shame that manufacturers tie them up so you can't add camera alerts. Perhaps that will change ...

Sal
PS This will be my last post here for a while as I have a big project coming up that will mean a stay in a warmer place.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal, Just in case you have not already gone. Have a nice time.

Trev
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trev

Sal
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
Thanks for the information Gareth.

This is a change of direction then because the previous iGo was available on a card to run in any Windows Mobile device.

But would it really have been a worthwhile chargeable upgrade to a C710? There's no proper answer to that of course, it would be a very personal decision.

Sal

As the software stands at present it wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade unless you have plenty of money to waste. But I suppose you are also buying in to an update service that provides bug fixes and so on.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I have now given 3.3 a spin. I did not find a lag in position as reported by retty. Well no more than the slight lag on 3.2 anyway. I have lost TMC al together in my area.
As I will have to do quite a lot of modding of the skin to get it too my liking, I'm reverting to 3.2 (You're right Sal).

Sounds as if the installation was flawed in some way.

Let me know if you would like a list of dirctories, files and file versions/sizes for a working 3.3 install on the C710.

Having said that all is clearly not well with my install given the position lag.
ticklepin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: MioMap 3.3 for C710 Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I have lost TMC al together in my area.

After the last update I also lost TMC and initally resorted to a reset.
However, someone posted that merely restarting Mio Map after connecting the aerial does the trick; it certainly works in my case.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: MioMap 3.3 for C710 Reply with quote

ticklepin wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

After the last update I also lost TMC and initally resorted to a reset.
However, someone posted that merely restarting Mio Map after connecting the aerial does the trick; it certainly works in my case.

Do you have the tts voices pronouncing street names? I can't get that feature to work at all - there doesn't even seem to be a menu setting for it (the menus are the same as with 3.2).
ticklepin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MioMap 3.3 for C710 Reply with quote

[quote="Retty"]
ticklepin wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

Do you have the tts voices pronouncing street names? I can't get that feature to work at all - there doesn't even seem to be a menu setting for it (the menus are the same as with 3.2).

I have no knowledge of this function. I've seen no menu for it.
If it is any help my Rom Version is R33F.2.112.517 and the Map version is 3.3 Sep 5 2007

This is slightly ‘off topic’, but the TMC seems pretty good.
However it does have a tendency to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
Since Christmas there has been a hold-up where the A423 enters Banbury.
For several weeks the whole of the 423 back to Southam was shown to be affected though this of course was not the case.
It is not showing this morning, at least not in the right place, but perhaps the temporary lights have now been moved.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: MioMap 3.3 for C710 Reply with quote

ticklepin wrote:

I have no knowledge of this function. I've seen no menu for it.
If it is any help my Rom Version is R33F.2.112.517 and the Map version is 3.3 Sep 5 2007

This is slightly ‘off topic’, but the TMC seems pretty good.
However it does have a tendency to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
Since Christmas there has been a hold-up where the A423 enters Banbury.
For several weeks the whole of the 423 back to Southam was shown to be affected though this of course was not the case.
It is not showing this morning, at least not in the right place, but perhaps the temporary lights have now been moved.

Thanks. No, I can't find a menu option for it either. I wonder if it's possible to edit one of the system files to enable this function?

The TMC doesn't always - or perhaps even usually - give an accurate representation of the actual problem. I've found that without local knowledge the TMC reports aren't very reliable even when they do correctly detect congestion: the A322 for example is very problematic with spurious reports affecting travel in both directions.

Still, 3.3 does fix the TMC direction reporting bug (haven't been able to find a single instance of it since using 3.3).

It would be nice to get tts street names working with the C710 though - the software has the feature under its bonnet but there doesn't seem to be a way of enabling it for non widescreen devices :-(
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a non cosher version of 3.3 that has a folder called tts in its folder list. I did not entertain trying it, so can't say whether it works or not.
I'm going to stick with 3.2. It's OK for me. Very Happy I have found that the routing of the Honda satnave leaves a lot to be desired. Sad
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an addition - I have found clarion sat nav devices - they use igo and seem to be quite big in japan...probably where it matters for igo too!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: