Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin show the new Edge 605/705 at CES 2008
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin show the new Edge 605/705 at CES 2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Cycling, Sports and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Garmin show the new Edge 605/705 at CES 2008 Reply with quote

Back in August Garmin sneaked out a press release about upgrades to the Edge cycling GPS systems. As I missed the UK cycle show I also managed to completely miss this announcement. There had been rumors about possible enhancements, but no firm facts. Well last week at CES I managed to get my hands on the 705 for a little play.

As soon as you pick it up you can feel the difference. It is quite a bit thicker to accommodate a larger battery. You can also see that there is a new joystick that is used to control another new feature: full colour mapping. To provide storage for the maps Garmin have added a MicroSD slot.

One other major feature that has been added is the ability to wirelessly transfer data between devices in close proximity. This (i assume) allows you create a route on one device, then meet for a ride with your companions and share the route with everyone.

We also had a chat with Clark Webber the creator of MotionBased who tells us that Garmin are working on an improved version to be launched soon.

Quote:
Newest Garmin® Edge® Lets Cyclists Share Routes Wirelessly While Adding Power Compatibility

OLATHE, Kan./August 29, 2007/PR Newswire — Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN), today introduced the Edge 705 and Edge 605 – the latest innovations in the popular line of integrated personal training systems for recreational and advanced cyclists. The Edge 705 and Edge 605 provide mapping capabilities, street navigation and a 2.2” color display in addition to tracking vertical profiles, climb and descent, altitude, speed, distance, and time.

The Edge 705 represents several breakthroughs in cycling technology, including power compatibility and wireless unit-to-unit connectivity. Through collaborative efforts with SRM, Quarq and other experts in mobile power diagnostics for bicycles, Garmin for the first time gives cyclists the opportunity to monitor GPS position, power, heart rate, speed, cadence, altitude and gradient on the same display. And Edge 705 users will be able to share their information – including saved rides, waypoints and workouts – with each other through ANT+Sport™ wireless technology.

“The Edge 705 gives cyclists the most effective tools they need to train efficiently and share data easily,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales, “and these new products are further proof of how innovative technology can enrich people’s lives and help them better enjoy their exercise and recreational activities.”

ANT+Sport technology allows the Edge to interface wirelessly with other fitness devices such as a heart rate monitor, cadence sensor or other Edge units. Cyclists can share courses, workout data and saved rides. When paired with an optional power meter from SRM or Quarq or another third party’s ANT+Sport-enabled device, the Edge 705 measures power – torque and cadence for each leg at the pedals – which is often cited as a true indicator of an efficient ride.

The mapping capabilities on the Edge 705 and Edge 605 allow cyclists to truly get lost in their ride without losing their way. Routes can be adapted to revisit previous rides, personalized shortcuts or new destinations. Both units come with built-in basemaps, and optional detailed street or topo maps are available on preloaded data cards.

Altitude is recorded using a barometric altimeter for the Edge 705. This accurate altitude data makes it much easier for cyclists to match their altitude profile with their speed, cadence and heart rate during post-ride analysis. The Edge 605 measures altitude through GPS positioning.

Whether you need to know where you’ve been, where you’re going, how long it’s taking or how high you’re climbing, the Edge 705 and Edge 605 offer answers. Cyclists can display their customizable data fields on large color screens, and the addition of a click stick helps users navigate through the various options. Sleek, waterproof and durable, the Edge uses a high-sensitivity GPS receiver to sustain reception in the most challenging conditions, such as heavy tree cover or “urban canyons” created by skyscrapers. It attaches to either the stem or handlebars of the bicycle, and is designed for easy removal at the end of the workout.

The Edge 705 heart rate monitor uses a robust wireless technology that eliminates cross-talk and interference and delivers real-time heart rate data exclusively to the user’s device. This data is stored with each track point for post-workout analysis. The Edge 705 with speed/cadence sensor incorporates a self-calibrating, wireless speed/cadence sensor that mounts to the rear chain stay of the bicycle.

Customizing the Edge is achieved using several innovative features:

Workouts: Design workouts with multiple steps based on time, distance, calories or heart rate. Establishes workout targets based on speed, calories, cadence, heart rate and power (heart rate is standard on Edge 705, speed/cadence sensor is optional and power requires an ANT+Sport-enabled third-party meter).
Virtual Partner®: Team up with a virtual training partner that provides continuous feedback. Depicts a digital cyclist (desired speed) in relation to the user’s real-time speed and notifies if ahead or behind desired target.
Courses: Cyclists can race against a recorded course and match previously set speeds at every point of the way. Combine the Courses and Virtual Partner features and race an opponent that varies speed while climbing hills and navigating tricky turns.
Navigation: Ride to a specified location by following turn-by-turn prompts, or try out brand new routes by downloading GPX files and leaving your paper directions at home.
Bike Computer: Customizable bike computer screen shows up to eight different data fields. The user may customize the display for the size and placement of the data.
Auto Pause®: Pauses the timer when the user’s speed drops below a preset threshold.
Alerts: Program alerts to sound if the user strays outside the range of speed, heart rate or cadence values. Alerts can also indicate when a set amount of time or distance has passed.
When used with Garmin Connect™ — Garmin’s new and improved online training site at connect.garmin.com — the Edge’s benefits continue long after the workout. By pairing the Edge 705 or Edge 605 with Garmin Connect, users can join a worldwide network of cyclists and outdoor enthusiasts and log their workouts, track their totals, share workouts and participate in an online community.

The Edge 705 with Heart Rate Monitor is expected to be available in December 2007 and have an estimated retail price of $499.99. This device includes an ANT+Sport heart rate monitor, AC charger, USB PC interface cable, bike mounts, owner’s manual on disk and quick-reference guide.

The Edge 705 with Heart Rate Monitor and Speed/Cadence Sensor is expected to be available in December 2007 and have an estimated retail price of $549.99. This device includes an ANT+Sport heart rate monitor, speed/cadence sensor, AC charger, USB PC interface cable, bike mounts, owner’s manual on disk and quick-reference guide.

The Edge 705 bundle is expected to be available in December 2007 and have an estimated retail price of $649.99. This device includes an ANT+Sport heart rate monitor, speed/cadence sensor, microSD card with City Nav NT maps, AC charger, USB PC interface cable, bike mounts, owner’s manual on disk and quick-reference guide.

The Edge 605 is expected to be available in December 2007 and has an estimated retail price of $399.99. It includes bike mounts, USB PC interface cable, AC charger, owner’s manual on disk and quick-reference guide.

captbeardy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the Edge 705 will display OS map references? 've only been able to find marketing info so far and its not mentioned.

Thanks
C Beardy
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captbeardy wrote:
Does anyone know if the Edge 705 will display OS map references? 've only been able to find marketing info so far and its not mentioned.

Thanks
C Beardy

I will be visiting Garmin ths week in CeBIT and will let you know if I can get my hands on a demo version.
captbeardy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
captbeardy wrote:

Thanks
C Beardy

I will be visiting Garmin ths week in CeBIT and will let you know if I can get my hands on a demo version.

Thanks Mike. It's the only thng that is stopping me pre ordering a unit Smile
captbeardy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
captbeardy wrote:

Thanks
C Beardy

Hi Mike,
Any joy on getting a paly with a 705 at CeBit? Any news from Garmin when they might actually have the thing ready for shipping. I've sold my 305 now, so the money is burning a hole in my pocket Smile

Cheers,
B.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I thought I had replied. The unit does display OSGB.

I havent been able to confirm it, but I imagine these will be on display in Birmingham at the Outdoors Show this weekend.
captbeardy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Sorry I thought I had replied. The unit does display OSGB.

I havent been able to confirm it, but I imagine these will be on display in Birmingham at the Outdoors Show this weekend.

Thanks Mike. don't think I'll be able to get to Birmingham this weekend, becasue a)the outlaws are visiting and b)can't travel on business as it's nearly the year end and I've shed loads to so Sad

Don't suppose they said anything about WHEN it will be released did they?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no release dates were given, but I will ask again this weekend. As the show will be directed towards UK consumers I assume they will be planning a date to hit the streets.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Cycling, Sports and Fitness All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: