Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No more Miomap updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No more Miomap updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: iGo Reply with quote

I agree Retty, HP can hardly be said to be major players in the GPS scene, nor Sony - at it's only their Playstation pack that uses it anyway. Very few units sold there, I would suspect (more likely being used by the kids in the back of the car!). Myguide? Not really cutting it either

iGo must really be seeking someone major to take their software on board?
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if IGo made it possible to run their latest on Mio boxes, I for one would buy it in a flash.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite. I'd be very wary of writing off iGO, they have many more irons in the fire than may be apparent and Mio have taken a very big gamble in dropping them in favour of Navman's OS.

The ONLY reason Mio have been so successful up until now has been because of the iGo software. I can recall Mio's prior efforts which weren't great and so it remains to be seen who will be the biggest loser from this move.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

The ONLY reason Mio have been so successful up until now has been because of the iGo software.

Absolutely true Darren. When my trusty C710 finally expires I will certainly not be replacing it with a Mio without iGo. Neither will I pay twice by buying a Mio and then paying for iGo to run on it.

Edit: I'm assuming of course that by that time, other programs will have implemented directional cameras Embarassed

Sal
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Mio Navman Reply with quote

retty:
Quote:
Navman software (does it still not support multiple via points?)

The S Series easily accomodates multi via-points

Sallyann:
Quote:
Edit: I'm assuming of course that by that time, other programs will have implemented directional cameras

The S Series already accomodates direction speed cameras which are also speed sensitive

So the Mio Moov (or existing Mio units migrating to the new software which I understand to be FOC on a map upgrade, maybe even FOC altogether) will benefit from these existing features built into the Navman software
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio Navman Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Sallyann:
Quote:
Edit: I'm assuming of course that by that time, other programs will have implemented directional cameras

The S Series already accomodates direction speed cameras which are also speed sensitive

Sally is referring to the ability to use third party data such as ours rather than be restricted to more expensive manufacturer only solutions.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Mio Navman Speed Camera with Direction and Speed Sensitivity Reply with quote

Horses for courses, I guess!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mio Navman Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

So the Mio Moov (or existing Mio units migrating to the new software which I understand to be FOC on a map upgrade, maybe even FOC altogether) will benefit from these existing features built into the Navman software

Sounds like a salesman's pitch Very Happy Question
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my mind, a safety camera database is only useful if it can be relied upon. Otherwise it is pointless and potentially misleading.

To be reliable, camera changes need to be reported immediately. That needs a very large number of users submitting reports immediately they spot them. It also needs a team of experienced verifiers who can check reports for accuracy against consistent standards.

I only know of one such database that I could trust. If there is another I would be glad to hear of it.

Sal
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice, though, if Mio included the speed function with mobile cameras
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MioC210user wrote:
It would be nice, though, if Mio included the speed function with mobile cameras

Yes, it would. Who knows what will happen with the replacement software?

Sal
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumable the map update with 'free' Navman software will be £100, Bargain?! NOT.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe now is the time for you all to pester navman-mio / mio-navman to include directional ability in their custom pois for the new software!!

navman currently use plain text format (csv / asc) so data-wise it would just be a case of adding an extra column and for their software to read it. the heading data was one of the defining points with the mio and now i have both copilot 7 and igo8 which both use heading data it makes such a huuuuuge difference!

out of curiosity has anyone tried the igo download for the mio? it certainly has speed data for mobiles but requires igo 2006 plus or igo8 so not sure what version of igo the mio software was based on...

MaFt
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt,
I'm sure that Mitac are aware of the serious loss of functionality and therefore of potential sales with the move away from iGo. As far as pestering goes I doubt whether that will make much difference since they unfortunately have a poor record of responding to customer requests. In any case they DO read these forums so they should be noting what is said here.

Don't forget though that directional alarms are not a trivial issue, the logic that needs to be applied on roads with bends and junctions is quite complex. If it were that easy, it would have become a standard feature of all satnavs by now.

I'm glad that you are enjoying this feature with your new copilot and igo - you now know what we have found so useful for so long.

Sal
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it'd be easier to get in touch with the navman side of things? they ARE the software developers now?

alos, yes, i take your point about directional programming. copilot7 struggles when you're not navigating as it is obviously unsure where you're going to be going so some warnings are missed - when navigating it's spot on though!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: