Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Kenwood - Garmin kna g520 speed camera database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Kenwood - Garmin kna g520 speed camera database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atang78
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I only registered today, but I too have the KNA-G520 unit with with kenwood headunit. Loaded it up, but it doesnt show the custom poi's in the list on the screen. However, when driving, i noticed that the speed cameras around my area were listed on the screen, with proximity warnings enabled.

However, i still cant find it in the settings to disable the poi's if need be. Hopefully it's only a software glitch.

In addition, i have the latest firmware installed too 3.40 so i'm not sure if it's because of that.
ben74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have had Kenwood-G520 for a year now and use csv files + bitmaps, I use the camera types for download which produces 6 csv files and 6 bitmaps, I don't have the courage to try the other types, perhaps I will next time.

When you use the POI loader, it assembles all the files into one .gpi file, this file is created on the SD card in Garmin/poi/poi.gpi, this overwrites the existing file in the 520 although I usually delete all poi's before plugging in the card. While I have never used other POI's, I think you may have to include the additional POI's in the same directory as the camera ones before using the POI loader to make a new gpi file.

The only controls for proximity alerts can be found from:
MAIN MENU - SETTINGS - GENERAL - PROXIMITY ALERTS
you need to scroll down to display the last one.

I always have them on so I would be very interested in what happens when you play about with them.

I trust this may help.
GSUS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help and input guys :D

I finally have the speed camera database working Laughing

I think the problem was i was trying to install too many POI's, thanks to ben74 for commenting on that the POI Loader creates one file to be loaded onto the 520. I deleted all POI's and tried just installing the Speed Cameras..............and bingo :D

Now the question is how do i add the other POI's that i want, i want to add the Cash Points and Shell petrol garages :D

Thanks again guys

Regards

GSUS
ben74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gsus,

As well as the G520, I also have a Nuvi 300. The POI's work in an Identical manner when using the POI loader except you can install directly to the Nuvi via the PC and bypass the SD card stage.

This is what I do:

Create a directory especially for download, ie: C:\Garmin_POI_Dbase

I copy the unzipped csv and associated bmp files that I want to use to that directory, I use the Consolidated by Type files for cameras because they create only 6 categories, one for each of the csv file names. I then download a database of custom POI's and search the csv file names for the categories I want to use, a favourite is 'Little Chef'.

I then copy these files to the above directory for use by the POI loader which uses any csv file it finds in that directory including the bmp icon files to create a category.

Each category displayed on the GPS unit is exactly the same as the csv file name and if you don't like it, you can rename the csv and associated bmp file to whatever pleases you.

I also have an old Garmin GPS 12 which is handy for marking POI's which I might like to visit sometime, I then create my own csv category file which I can GOTO at a later date. I'm no expert, but once you realise the basic principles it all falls into place.

I am experimenting with adding voice warnings for custom POI's, so far I have got the wife to record some MP3 messages but still need some work to get them into the G520, if you have any luck in this direction I would appreciate your comments.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to add ALL the POI file at the same time.

Best method is to create subdirectories for each POI type under the folder you use at present for POILoader. This makes everything easier to manage both on the PC and on the sat nav.

See here for some more detailed instructions
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can however have as many gpi files on the unit as you wish an each one will be 'read' by the unit.

the only one that will be 'wiped' with further uses of poiloader is the poi.gpi file - any other *.gpi files will be left intact.

MaFt
user217517
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Speed Alert Problem Reply with quote

Hi all!

I recently downloaded the database for the Garmin G520 unit for use with a Kenwood DVD729 unit. All of the cameras have been loaded onto the map with great sucess, however I'm having problems with the speed alerts.

I would like it so the device does not shut up beeping unless i'm travelling the correct speed limit or under - So I turned on the Proximity Alerts, however I have travelled to Bristol, Surrey and Kent with this device and as you can appreciate passing alot of camera's along the way... but all have the wrong speed alert recorded.

- 30mph areas with cameras come up as 19mph limits
- 50mph and 70mph areas with cameras come up as 43mph limits

This therefore causes the device to not stop beeping if I'm doing 30mph in a 30mph zone! (If I go under 19mph its excellent!)

Is this a problem with the database, a problem with my unit, or (hopefully) a problem with my installation of the database?

Best Regards,
Mark H.
user217517
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that was a quick reply!

Not sure will take a look and get back to you, the warnings do come up as WARNING 19MPH ZONE .. in mph

Cheers for your help!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see this sticky thread which confirms you have loaded the database with POILoader set to KPH and not MPH.
wagsta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all.

Got to thank you guys, as i was having the same problem with GSUS.
Ive got the new Kenwood 7200 and its the same system as the G520.

but now ive run into a bit more bother:

as above all speed anouncements appear in KM

even on the speed display oin the nav, its all in km.
(only when i use the unit for a desired route, it tells me in meters/miles.

ive checked that i am converting in feet and MPH but still get the same all round!!

how do i change this to mph
wagsta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i figured out how to do the KPH to MPH, its in the setting menu.

now with the wanrning tones, they keep on interrupting the music"!! Sad

how can i just have the "pings" on speed camera's
Do i just delete the cvs file prior to loading them onto the SD card????
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've created a Kenwood specific installation guide page here.

As I don't have one I've re-hashed the Garmin POILoader guide but could I ask that you have a read and advise of any errors, corrections or suggestions for the guide?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah cheers, now corrected Embarassed
spadgerdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, don't forget - when you insert the CD into the unit, it will attempt to read it and probably come up with 'disc error' message................ wait............. it then goes onto a data input screen and starts the update process.

I wish Garmin told you that before I wasted 3 discs Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: