Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Issues with Specs on Mio (and maybe others)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Issues with Specs on Mio (and maybe others)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Issues with Specs on Mio (and maybe others) Reply with quote

Dont know if this affects other platforms too but the Mio understands SPECS average speed cameras to be in pairs.

This causes issues where the cameras are deployed in odd numbers as the mio starts measuring your speed and warning with a reminder blip from the start of the section, then cancels the speed warning at the second camera and starts a new warning at the third which never cancels so you have to exit the application completely to get the thing to shutup!

Anyone else have this experience?

Is it not possible to have just the start and end of an average speed section in the database rather than every camera? I appreciate this is a problem where it might span a junction so a third camera is required for people joining the motorway........ hmmm.... going to be trickier than I thought now I type this.

Oh well, I throw it open to the community to ponder.....

Or does anyone know how to cancel a speed camera alert on a Mio without having to exit and restart miomap?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 710 running MioMap 3.2 and of course have the same problem. I don't think there's a fix until Mio do it. But as Mio do not seem to support end users once they have parted with their cash, don't hold your breath for a fix.
Incidentally, there is a bit of this forum dedicated to Mio, Igo etc hardware devices.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here with iGO 2006+ software.

Quote:
Or does anyone know how to cancel a speed camera alert on a Mio without having to exit and restart miomap?

I've found no way of doing it on my Mio P350. I thought I'd read somewhere that someone said they just tapped the screen to make it stop, didn't work for me. Also notice it shows my average speed as something like 133mph, I thought maybe it was showing km but with me driving at 70mph that would be about 112kph. Confused
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be worth checking the cameras on the submissions page. They have recently started capturing "start", "middle" and "end" cameras. Are you having problems just on older submissions where this has not been captured or does this happen on the flagged ones as well?

I can still see it being a problem with zones covering junctions as your "start" camera if you come in mid-zone would be someone else's middle one.

Unfortunately, the way Specs really works is that the "pairs" could be any two cameras along the route and not just the first and last. Confused

Sometimes I'm glad TomTom don't think too hard about their implementations. Wink
Brodit ProClip mount
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with Specs on Mio (and maybe others) Reply with quote

mugwump wrote:

Is it not possible to have just the start and end of an average speed section in the database rather than every camera? I appreciate this is a problem where it might span a junction so a third camera is required for people joining the motorway........ hmmm.... going to be trickier than I thought now I type this.

You've summed it up very well and I don't see an answer at present. If SPECS cameras become installed over even longer lengths of road with multiple intermediate sites then we might have to revert to treating them as individual ones without an intermediate warning.

Sal
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
I thought I'd read somewhere that someone said they just tapped the screen to make it stop, didn't work for me.

You might need to tap the screen a couple of times (like a double click) for it to work.

The fact that it didn't work might be because:
a)the screen didn't register your tap
b) the screen might need multiple taps as a 'safety' to stop it being de-activated accidentally
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You might need to tap the screen a couple of times (like a double click) for it to work.
Ah, that may be the answer, I tapped once, waited, tapped again, waited, 'punched' it Razz , waited, then stopped at the first opportunity to re-set. I'll try the 'double tap' next time. Very Happy

It would be nice to get my average speed showing in mph rather than the high kph which doesn't appear to relate to my actual average, as it stays high even when slowing down with traffic almost to a crawl. (Yep, M25). Sad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of pionts. I think that yo have to tap the camera icon to get rid of it rather than anywhere on the screen.
I have found thet the average speed calc seems to work OK, but gave the readout in KPH. I modified the patch.ui file in data.zip to include a lookup table to convert KPH to MPH, so mine now reads correctly. The problem still arrises with the cams not neccessarily being in pairs.
I suspect that when in a specs zone, it's probably better to control your speed by the speedo than the rather small readout of the MIO (I've made my readout a bigger fomt).
People complain about having to look at the speedo all the time causes accidents, so what's peering at the small speed readout going to do for road safety????
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although the speed may display incorrectly (TBH mine seems to be ok just its in KPH) it does calculate the average OK and makes a different warning beep when your average speed is above that set for the zone so no need to look at the screen.

I have tried prodding the screen in the past but I will try the "double tap" on the camera icon as suggested and report back though I dont think Ill hit a section again for a week or two.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always put a dummy pair in using the AddCam function, and delete them later.
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought about doing that for the ones I pass regularly but did not fancy manually interrogating the whole SPECS database offline to ensure that I would always have paired cameras, especially as I would have to update it every time I downloaded the database.

If I get some time I'll think about writing a script that automates some of it but it would have to work out vector distances between cameras from the co-ordinates to identify separate instances of specs locations, then use the two cameras in a group with the greatest distance as the start and end location and throw the rest away. It will still get confused with sections that bridge a junction without reference a map topology to identify these possibilities but I dont think I have the time to consider that and nor do I have the topology data.

It is only an irritating issue after all!
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:

Unfortunately, the way Specs really works is that the "pairs" could be any two cameras along the route and not just the first and last. Confused

Agreed, which means the speed needs to be maintained as an average across the whole section regardless of how many cameras there are so surely the intermediate cameras add no value on a Mio (except where it bridges a junction).
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mugwump wrote:
report back though I dont think Ill hit a section again for a week or two.

This is what I was suggesting that you add a local couple manually for. So that you don't have to wait until you pass throug a proper specs zone. Very Happy

mugwump wrote:

Agreed, which means the speed needs to be maintained as an average across the whole section regardless of how many cameras there are so surely the intermediate cameras add no value on a Mio (except where it bridges a junction).

Except that the second, which may be an intermediate, cause the Mio to 'think' it's out of the specs zone and stop calculating and displaying average speed whereas in actual fact you are still in the av speed zone. Bad news Crying or Very sad
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
mugwump wrote:
report back though I dont think Ill hit a section again for a week or two.

This is what I was suggesting that you add a local couple manually for. So that you don't have to wait until you pass throug a proper specs zone. Very Happy

I see! sorry, being a muppet. I thought you were suggesting adding another cam to a section with an odd number of cameras to force it to be even.

As for the other point what I am suggesting is stripping out the intermediate cameras so I only have start and finish then the average is calculated for the entire section, I dont need any intermediate cameras to confuse the unit.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mugwump wrote:

As for the other point what I am suggesting is stripping out the intermediate cameras so I only have start and finish then the average is calculated for the entire section, I dont need any intermediate cameras to confuse the unit.

Are you suggesting this is done by PGPSW? I don't see how this could possibly be achieved.
People will continue to submit the locations of CAMERAS. That's how the database runs.

I can only imagine just how hard it would be to sit down with a large map with all of the SPECs cameras for every area and to try to work out which cameras to delete for EVERY possible journey on and off the motorway, without any inside information about how the cameras are paired, just guesswork!

And then, you'd have to do it all again tomorrow, when the roadworks and cameras move a mile up the road, and another few dozen reports of all the "missing" cameras have arrived.

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: