Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V715 maps available!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V715 maps available!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without loading the map to check this out IIRC the v660 map had this location correctly mapped and upto date, the 675, 705, 710 and now 715 are all wrong - I guess its called progress NOT

What I would like to understand though is how a map can be taken back in time, what has caused the degradation in accuracy, map share (but I doubt it could cause this) - Mike
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a good point there kichu1979. We often tend to forget the process involved in map making. So, I don' find it too upsetting that the MapShare corrections haven't been included in the Tele Atlas base data - especially since Tele Atlas apparently do not have access to the MapShare data. What however puzzles me is that the MapShare databases for the different maps (regional maps, WE and W&CE) aren't synchronized and that the TT verified MapShare corrections coming from the v710 maps aren't automatically applied to the v715 maps. The database handling is probably a tricky thing to get to work perfectly, but still. Further, the user updates to a map should really be copied to a the next map. Being forced to feeding in all map corrections once again after purchasing a new map is not very encouraging. We have, after all, been contributing volontary to the quality of TomTom's product and shouldn't need to do the same job several times, right?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
We have, after all, been contributing volontary to the quality of TomTom's product and shouldn't need to do the same job several times, right?

Right!
(Already on my THIRD round of reporting the same Mapshare corrections)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kichu1979 wrote:
We got this map today, but this map is really 6 months old.

The day we get a six month old map is the day I'll eat something obnoxious, whilst sitting in Woolworth's window (unless you'd prefer to see my cheeks). I can't for one moment imagine there is a single map change in 715 as recent as last August. Can anybody tell us one - a new road or roundabout or junction or no right/left turn which came into being last July and is on today's map?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
kichu1979 wrote:
We got this map today, but this map is really 6 months old.

The day we get a six month old map is the day I'll eat something obnoxious, whilst sitting in Woolworth's window (unless you'd prefer to see my cheeks). I can't for one moment imagine there is a single map change in 715 as recent as last August. Can anybody tell us one - a new road or roundabout or junction or no right/left turn which came into being last July and is on today's map?

There is a change reported in Spain and verified. Also, Central/Eastern Europe has been updated. Finally, they have removed some details of private roads in Heathrow.

All in all, 715 is no great shakes and no one needs to rush to get this unless they want Central Europe and Jersey.

What is really bad is that TT now has a database of target areas to improve in the mapping and we dont see the benefits of this yet. Imagine TA with this info for 1 year. It is an incredible advantage to have hotspots to physically verify with real employees with a near certain guarantee of benefits in terms of map data quality improvement.
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spotted a pretty stupid map error in 715 (I've only just got my TT so it may have been in 710). This was definitely okay in the TT5 maps Rolling Eyes

N 52.48365, W 0.69962

Paste into Google Earth to see just how crap it is - the worst thing is TT now tells you to 'Turn Left' when travelling either direction on this road!

Reported to Teleatlas but not holding my breath....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kissinuk wrote:
I've spotted a pretty stupid map error in 715 (I've only just got my TT so it may have been in 710). This was definitely okay in the TT5 maps Rolling Eyes

N 52.48365, W 0.69962

Paste into Google Earth to see just how crap it is - the worst thing is TT now tells you to 'Turn Left' when travelling either direction on this road!

Do you mean the "kink" in the A6014 Oakley Road where it joins Gainsborough Road? (also present in the map view on Google Maps).

If so, there's a lot worse than that, out there! Laughing
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
kissinuk wrote:

N 52.48365, W 0.69962

Do you mean the "kink" in the A6014 Oakley Road where it joins Gainsborough Road? (also present in the map view on Google Maps).

If so, there's a lot worse than that, out there! Laughing

Yes, I did mean the 'kink' - very annoying when it was fine a few releases ago! I'd love to know how the hell things like that happen - the road now smashes through a fence and goes through Lidl car park!
badgerdid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could it be the earlier maps were navteq?
I have the same issue with western europe maps, version 660.1256, it shows the A5 bypass at tamworth with the A38 underpass where they meet, the next map, think its 660.1409 or there abouts (teleatlas i believe) has not got this. so seems navteq are more upto date
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badgerdid wrote:
could it be the earlier maps were navteq?
I have the same issue with western europe maps, version 660.1256, it shows the A5 bypass at tamworth with the A38 underpass where they meet, the next map, think its 660.1409 or there abouts (teleatlas i believe) has not got this. so seems navteq are more upto date

I think all TomTom UK maps so far have been TeleAtlas? Apart from the Rider maybe, but I'm not 100% sure.
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kissinuk wrote:
I think all TomTom UK maps so far have been TeleAtlas? Apart from the Rider maybe, but I'm not 100% sure.

You are right. Rider - the only exception - had (or still has?) navteq maps.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you are both wrong, I'm afraid.

The One "New Edition" Europe version also had Navteq maps (also v660 I believe).

If someone has the exact build numbers of any of the Navteq maps used by TomTom, (I've been trying to keep a list) I'd be grateful.
So far I THINK v660.1256 was Navteq and was used on both the Rider 1 and the European ONE New Edition (is that right too?) and the v660.1219 was Tele Atlas and was used in the other models.

Other Navteq maps I know of were:
TomTom Rider - v612 Navteq (June 2006) - Great_Britain
TomTom Rider - v675.1322 Navteq (July 2007) - Western Europe
And I had one report of a TomTom ONE XL with v675.1430 Navtec??
unwanted
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another year on, and nothing has changed... Rolling Eyes

Buy new maps in TomTom 50% (upto*) off Sale, all changed again in February...

*took tomtom long enough to add it...
hoolahoops
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just changed to 715 from 710 (just within 30 days of registering my 920T, 3 attempts to download).

From the first use this morning I can confirm that the Stoke Hammond bypass is in there now (Beds/Bucks). Not bad as this has only been open since Oct 2007.

The other problem that isn't fixed though is the A4146 north of Water End (the S bends for those that know it) still has you driving across fields.

Kev

TT Go 950 Live. Fixed Brodit mount
Motorola Moto 4G
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. So today is day 30 of my guarantee, I have just loaded Home v 2.2xxx58 and it is still telling me that the v710 maps are the most up to date.
Any suggestions anyone?

I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over this but if it is available and I can get it then why not?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: