Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Gps at the ski piste
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Gps at the ski piste

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Cycling, Sports and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olli_E
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Gps at the ski piste Reply with quote

Hi!

Downhill skiing being my gratest passion I've always tried to make detailed analyzing of my runs in the slopes. I have a suunto s6 wristop comp which has a possibility to start loggin the events but because it measures the altitude from air pressure it's a bit old fashioned at these times of gps. I use a gps mouse and a series 40 platformed phone for car navigation, but I wish to take advantage of them with skiing too.

So does anyone now a, preferrably freeware, program that would be handy for my intentions? It should have the possibility to start a logbook and afterwards explore the information of my runs. This would be speed, altitude changes, if possigle angles of the slopes, total descentage, total distance etc. A nice feature would be the possibility to export these logbooks to PC and view/print them. My phone is a Nokia 6280, so it whould have to work on java I guess.

Olli

p.s. Our skiing season here in Finland is 7 months. That's 1500 km of skiing/season. This would come handy.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know of any free software, but take a look at garmin's handheld gps devises as some have some pretty competent logging software attached, these are also good as they won't always try and lock you to the nearest road.

Never thought about taking the old garmin on the slopes, might be cool to know haw fast i'm going and how far I ski from day to day.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Ski Slope altitude, I doubt GPS would be better than air pressure - if your individual Ski runs take over 4 hours then maybe GPS has an advantage.

I use Memory Map on my PDA for tracking and recording my moutain biking- gives lat/long and altitude and time/speed/distance etcc. The track can be overlaid onto the PC when I get home. I don't know if they do one for the phone, but you could always just record the gps data look at it later on the PC. - Look at Ozi Explorer, Vito Navigator and Memory Map.

By far the best solution is a Garmin handheld, one day I'll be able to afford one.
Olli_E
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
For Ski Slope altitude, I doubt GPS would be better than air pressure - if your individual Ski runs take over 4 hours then maybe GPS has an advantage.

You may be right. It's just that the watch is usefull when following the total descent/ascent and the speed of altitude change. I really never get accurate info of my actual skiing speed, number of turns etc.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ski hard as I do, with short turns on fast runs then you wouldn't have a hope in capturing any information on a gps sytem, or at least not without spending a lot of money.
GPS is not acurate enough to capture subtle changes in quick succession.

But to track the overall days progress it would be good. info like average speed, altitude changes, time spent, actual speed at any time, and more importantly location. It would capture long turns, and your generall route at best.

Speed would be an issue because gps measures speed on the assuption that you are travelling on flat ground, so if you travel at the sames speed down a 45 degree slope your speed would only be recorded at half your acual speed.

Conclusion is that gps is not designed for extrem mountainous enviroments, it will track your progress, is not detailed enough for close scrutiny.

I'm still gona' give it a go anyway!!! 8)

Olli_E
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
Speed would be an issue because gps measures speed on the assuption that you are travelling on flat ground, so if you travel at the sames speed down a 45 degree slope your speed would only be recorded at half your acual speed.

Ok.. I kind of suspected this. I'll then have to hold on to my Suunto. Actually the watch has a feature, to insert the angle of the slope you're about to run, which it then uses to calculate the speed. This has only two problems: 1. To set the angle you have to see from the top of the hill to the bottom, which is a relatively rare situation. 2. The watch assumes that you go strait down without any turns, which never happens. The wider you turn on the slope the more inaccurate is the result.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a Suunto for tracking the day's skiing progress... number of descents and vertical metres, and also to work out a very rough estimate of distance skied. Then added a Geko 301 to get a better idea of distance covered and also to add speed. Now I have replaced both by a Navman A300 Ski. (What a gadget loving geek!)

These devices all provide pretty useless but nevertheless interesting stats. It was nice being able to show a bunch of guys I met on the mountain in 2005, who had been trying all week to clock 100kph down a straight only slightly bumpy piste, the readout on my Geko showing 102kph at my first attempt!
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed- with my 3 days a year skiing I would be happy to go 1/2 that and not die 8O - the GPS probably calculates a rolling average over a few seconds to. Would love to have seen a radar report on your top speed.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably wasn't available when this thread started in March, but there is now a product available called SportsDo which seems to do pretty much what you want and works on a Java enabled phone.

http://www.sportsdo.net/

Skiing/snowboarding functionality:
http://www.sportsdo.net/Sports/Skiing.aspx

There are plenty of example tracks you can play with on the site too.[/url]
kieeee
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe like that
AlexPresland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this thread, as I was wondering if there was such a device to track your speed around the mountatin.

Some Google searching turns up a Navman A300 http://www.j2ski.com/ski_news/index.php/j2ski/ski-gps-clearance-sale-navman-a300/. However, that was there a few years back when I last looked.

We were in Arabba, Italy a few years back and they had a cool system which tracked you from what lifts you used. You could then log into a site with your lift pass number and get your "altitude track" for the day. Obviously, it can only track you between points at the top & bottom of lifts, but it was quite cool to see who the keenest and slackest (me!) skiers were. Above all, it was free! Very Happy

I've been to various places in the US and Canada which have systems, but you have to pay a small fortune to hire them and/or send an SMS to a shortcode to activate them. The shortcode bit doesn't work from a roaming UK mobile. The problem is that they're all linked to a ski resort rather than being something you can take with you wherever you go. These systems are:
http://www.slopetracker.com/
http://www.flaik.com/

However, I've got a friend who goes paragliding. He's shown me 3D terrain maps with a path of where he's flown over them. I believe that they judge competitions from each competitor's GPS readings, and produce combined files of all paths at the end. I'm pretty sure that you'd be able to use this on a ski slope - maybe I'll have to ask if I can borrow his GPS this coming season?
[/list]
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple GPS Logger will do what you want to provide the information of where you have been, have a read through This for one such device. Altitude is always an issue with GPS as its never 100% accurate, but it should give you a good idea where you have been and distance covered - best part is they can be slipped into your pocket and they still work, light weight and easy to use - Mike
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now using the Garmin Edge 205 which is designed for cycling but proved very competent on the slopes too. Like similar data loggers you can then upload the info into mapping programs and view your days activities. I uploaded mine into google earth plus. v.cool.

MattV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use SkiLog / Gtrek when skiing - http://www.gtrek.co.uk/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Cycling, Sports and Fitness All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: