Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rog62 wrote:

I've just spent the rest of the evening trying to move files to and from my SatMap and into my mapping software (Tracklogs). Even though Tracklogs is able to read and save .gpx files - files could not be recognised either way - a quick look (using Notepad) shows the formats and detail are comlpetely different. The problem being that Tracklogs saves as Tracks were as SatMap uses Routes....however all was not lost - at least the files uploaded from SatMap could be read into Google Earth for viewing!

I have a program called gpsbabel (from http://www.gpsbabel.org ) that as its name suggests translates between various GPS formats and as I found it can also translate Route/Tracks and back..... so...I am now able to plan a route on Tracklogs and get it onto SatMap....and also use SatMap to log a route and then load it onto Tracklogs!! Hurrah.

If I do buy a SatMap I'll be using it with Tracklogs so I'm glad to see you've made them work together. Is it easy?
Thanks
Doug
rog62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

It wasn't too bad once I'd got gpsbabel running and worked out how to translate the tracks to routes and back. I've e:mailed SatMap suggesting that they include the route/track translation option as part of the Satsyn software (I think similar suggestions to this have been made on this forum in the past).

Will keep you posted as to how I get on using the two products together on a regular basis.
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I recommend GPSVisualizer as an easier to use frontend for GPSBabel for file conversion ..
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian the visualizer is a decent front end but have you tried GPSBabelGUI which adds a simple to use interface running in Windows to the GPSBabel application, its much easier than using good old DOS these days, the application GPSBabelGUI is supplied as part of the current download just select the correct exe to fire up the application - Mike
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid my patience ran out with the SatMap. The 3-4 hour battery life, removal of the batteries between uses, lack of accessories and support s/ware finally go to me. I found myself always reverting back to my Garmin 60CSx.

The other day i did a long walk in totally unknown territory.. the walk was almost 7 hours (21km) through very dense, muddy forest and across featureless wide open fields. The weather was closing in and light was fading. I broke a golden rule and left my paper map and compass at home (unintentional). I was using my 60CSx that showed full strength batteries throughout my walk. If my batteries had failed, I would have been seriously worried about getting my way out again and it would have been in the dark and without a torch! I believe that if i'd been using the satmap my nightmare would have been realised especially as the weather was cold which would have put extra strain on the Satmaps already limited battery life!
The GB Topo (Garmin) map was surprisingly good on this particular trek.. it seemed that almost all of the trails were correctly and accurately marked.. however, I know its not that consistent throughout the entire map. But, it’s certainly one mark for the Garmin Topo map in this instance.
To Conclude: The SatMap is a great product but I think it needs another 6 months testing and vamping before I re-invest, which I probably will do.

TT GO920, Honda in-Car system, Garmin Oregon 550T + (OSGB 1:50k S.Eng), Garmin 60CSx, TT BT, QSTARZ QBT1000 Data Logger, MemoryMap v5 - Uk 1:50kOSG
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feelings and experience exactly. What a joy it is to go back to a dependable high performance set like the Garmin 60 CSx.
And the Garmin UK Topo is pretty decent (though not in the OS 1:25k class).

Other forum members will say their Active 10 is just perfect, locking on within a few tens of seconds, retaining lock through thick and thin and with tens of hours of battery life. You are lucky. But please dont tell me I am being disloyal for not sticking with a small start up company. Sorry, they have to earn my respect; they lost it by making unsustainable claims for a product that was launched without adequate testing and with no computer interfacing. Their quality control is feeble. Their willingness to replace faulty equipment is, however, legendary though it takes more than that to retain my loyalty.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay1967 wrote:
I'm afraid my patience ran out with the SatMap.
Jay, what did you do about the A10? Did you return it for a refund or sell it on, or simply put it in a drawer?
Jay1967 wrote:
I found myself always reverting back to my Garmin 60CSx ...... The GB Topo (Garmin) map was surprisingly good on this particular trek.. it seemed that almost all of the trails were correctly and accurately marked.. however, I know its not that consistent throughout the entire map.
I too have come to the A10 from a GPSmap60CSx, the main reason being, for me, the inadequacy of the Garmin Mapsource City Navigator mapping. I have recently invested in a 1:25,000 Satmap SD card, to get walking scale tracks, but I never tried the Mapsource Topo maps, assuming they would be worse than City Navigator. Where in the country were you walking, Was it in a National Park or just ordinary countryside?
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I returned my A10 with the SD maps for a full refund. SatMap were understood my frustrations and were very good in refunding me my money. I explained to them pretty much what I'd written in my previous post and said if they get this product living up to its claims, i'd probably re-invest.

I suggest you call them if a refund is what you had in mind.

I was using my Garmin and Topo map in Buckinghamshire/Hertfordshire, Denham, Harefield area (ordinary countryside).

Regards,

J.

TT GO920, Honda in-Car system, Garmin Oregon 550T + (OSGB 1:50k S.Eng), Garmin 60CSx, TT BT, QSTARZ QBT1000 Data Logger, MemoryMap v5 - Uk 1:50kOSG

Last edited by Jay1967 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rog62 wrote:
Doug,

It wasn't too bad once I'd got gpsbabel running and worked out how to translate the tracks to routes and back. I've e:mailed SatMap suggesting that they include the route/track translation option as part of the Satsyn software (I think similar suggestions to this have been made on this forum in the past).

Will keep you posted as to how I get on using the two products together on a regular basis.

Thanks, much appreciated. I'm still holding off purchasing anything!
Doug
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

How to transfer a route from your PC to your Active 10 using Satsync Beta (yes I know the clue is in the software name but...)

Create your route of choice using the only supported software Memory Map, save it as a GPX file on your PC.
Plug in your Active10, start Satsync and then use it to transfer the above file on to either the SD card or the Internal Memory.
Spot your GPX file appearing in the right place in the Satsync window..
Unplug your Active 10 and then turn it off.
Then turn it on and wait for it to boot up and the SD card to be read......
Go to the Route Menu to see your chosen route is not there.
Plug your Active 10 in, start Satsync and transfer your chosen route to the other memory option.
Spot your GPX file appearing in the right place in the Satsync window.....as well as the original right place in the Satsync window.
Come to the conclusion that something is wrong with the original GPX so plot another version of the same route then save it as a GPX file with a slightly different name on your PC.
Plug in your Active10, start Satsync and then use it to transfer the above file on to either the SD card or the Internal Memory.
Spot your GPX file appearing in the right place in the Satsync window......along with both of the old versions
Go to Create Route and plot your chosen route.

I sense Satsync is going to be a loooooooong way off Rolling Eyes
heppers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in my local shop the other day (Ryedale rambler) and they said Satmap were holding back on sending out new units for a couple of weeks.
They thought it was because they were about to update the software and put in on the newest machines before they send them out.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have any news on the rumoured software update and formal satsync release ?
finkployd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
Does anybody have any news on the rumoured software update and formal satsync release ?

.... you'll notice that you won't get many answers to this question.

It seems that after a blinding launch, supported by a multitude of claims, the reality is turning out to be somewhat disappointing. It doesn't matter if you registered your unit, that seems to give you no more information than if you asked my Gran... and she's been dead for two years.

Can't wait for Garmin to get their act together and release their Colorado properly... a sharp kick up the arse is exactly what SatMap require.

Still no on-line map thing, still no on-line unit upgrade thing, still no manual (proper manual with good instructions, not 20 page pamphlet).

wakey wakey satmap... anyone there?

[edit to correct smelling nistkes]

Last edited by finkployd on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were Satmap I would review the claims they make in their advertisement for the A10 (just the claimed battery life as an example) before someone takes them to task (or to court) for misrepresentation.
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finkployd wrote:
FrequentFlyer wrote:

.... you'll notice that you won't get many answers to this question.

It seems that after a blinding launch, supported by a multitude of claims, the reality is turning out to be somewhat disappointing. It doesn't matter if you registered your unit, that seems to give you no more information than if you asked my Gran... and she's been dead for two years.

Can't wait for Garmin to get their act together and release their Colorado properly... a sharp kick up the arse is exactly what SatMap require.

Still no on-line map thing, still no on-line unit upgrade thing, still no manual (proper manual with good instructions, not 20 page pamphlet).

wakey wakey satmap... anyone there?

[edit to correct smelling nistkes]

Well said...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: