Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone tried TMC today?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone tried TMC today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaconlegal wrote:
And, so far as I can see, there is no way for a public spirited person to report incidents to ITiS for them to include.

I would welcome Jonfo's comments ....

Now that's a good point. I have in the past often phoned and texted Radio 5 Live with traffic information. Today, I could have informed ITIS that the flood they had notified near Bath was no longer there. It wasn't giving me any delay forecast, just that it was there.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCorry wrote:
I think it should be developed to use the GPRS service so that every user's speed is fed back to their mainframe (on capable Sat Navs).

If the average speed of a certain number of cars on a section of road is below a defined average then a report is automatically sent out through the TMC.

In this way, theroetically, every road in the country can be covered!

This is VERY similar to what is proposed/about-to-launch by theTMC suppliers using information provided by the mobile phone network providers - who know where your phone is (to a few 10's of metres) while it is on. This promises more accurate TMC information tan at present.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
This is VERY similar to what is proposed/about-to-launch by theTMC suppliers using information provided by the mobile phone network providers - who know where your phone is (to a few 10's of metres) while it is on. This promises more accurate TMC information tan at present.

Yep - so every Saturday and Wednesday we'll know there's a hell of a traffic problem inside Chelsea, or Arsenal, or Man United footie ground and at night there'll be something similar in the nightclubs? One car full gives off 4 stationary signals, a bus does something really great. Fortunately, people like TomTom support desk are clever enough to distinguish between three bus loads and 150 single occupant cars! And they will be sufficiently clairvoyant to distinguish between a multiple pile up, a stupid lost horse and a belt of fog!

Sorry, I don't buy it. Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone from ITiS is going to reply to my post of 15th January ... Rolling Eyes
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaconlegal wrote:
I wonder if anyone from ITiS is going to reply to my post of 15th January ... Rolling Eyes

I doubt it. To be honest very few companies expose themselves to the sort of criticism that it's possible to attract in a public forum like this.

Companies have to insulate themselves against sometimes awkward questions.

The only odd thing is that ITIS posted here in the first place. It's to their credit that they did but understandable that they are now conspicuous by their absence.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
It's worth pointing out that this new service has got nothing to do with the TMC suppliers, or iTIS. TomTom themselves are setting this up with Vodafone (currently they have agreements to cover Holland, UK and Germany, and will extend the countries covered further during 2008). This will be provided by the TomTom HD devices (so far only 1 device, the ONE XL HD Traffic) which has / have a built in SIM card to talk to TomTom's servers. The data is from potentially all mobile phones on the Vodafone network (it uses raw anonymous GSM signalling data), giving TomTom good road speed data irrespective of where TomTom customers are, and covers more roads than the traditional TMC data. To be fair, TomTom will continue to merge this new data with the existing data from the likes of iTIS, to offer a much richer data set (and of course to cover closed roads).

The keys point though are: you'll need new hardware, and it won't use the RDS-TMC receiver, it will use GPRS, but via it's own SIM card (TomTom charge a single per month charge for HD traffic which covers both the traffic data and the SIM card charges, so there are no extra charges, and no need for TMC receivers and the extra wires they cause).

I'm not aware of iTIS nor Trafficmaster planning to enhance their TMC data feeds with additional data from mobile phones, but I may be wrong of course.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing thanks for the clarification.

I'm sure that I read something about iTis looking at a joint venture with Vodafone- but I may have dreamt it!

However - doesn't this make TomTom a TMC supplier? (looking for tongue-in-cheek emoticon)
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:

I'm not aware of iTIS nor Trafficmaster planning to enhance their TMC data feeds with additional data from mobile phones, but I may be wrong of course.

I thought that iTIS already use data from mobile phones - provided directly by the contracted networks. This data, I thought, is used to supplement their journalistic and mobile sensor data.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
I thought that iTIS already use data from mobile phones - provided directly by the contracted networks. This data, I thought, is used to supplement their journalistic and mobile sensor data.
I can find no statement from Vodafone nor iTIS supporting an agreement, and, of course, as TomTom use iTIS data, if iTIS were already utilising Vodafone's data, TomTom would not need to sign up an agreement with them directly.
Doyoumeanme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From gadgeteer website
Quote:
In other news, TomTom has now signed up Vodafone to provide the data for their HD service in Germany. Although only live in The Netherlands, TomTom had already signed up Vodafone to provide the data there and in the UK. TomTom are hoping to have HD traffic for 50% of their European customers by the end of 2008.

Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom seem to be using technology from Estimotion ( www.estimotion.com ) in this. Estimotion appears to be owned by ITIS so the question arises - can ITIS not use the mobile phone data to produce decent TMC data?
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
TomTom seem to be using technology from Estimotion ( www.estimotion.com ) in this. Estimotion appears to be owned by ITIS so the question arises - can ITIS not use the mobile phone data to produce decent TMC data?

I thought they already were although on reading the document again it's only an implication ("Next Steps"):

http://www.itisholdings.com/pdf/estimotion.pdf
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one had no reception on TMC this afternoon?

I drove from Rossendale down to M5 J3 today and got reception fine this morning, but absolutely no signal on the way back this afternoon.

Anyone had reception problems on the M6 from Birmingham to north Manchester today?

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems around the Fylde coast area with either receiver today, both locked on and received data within 60 seconds of switch on for this afternoons drive home around 18:00HR - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check to see if I am getting a signal now - it wouldn't be the first time that the signal has dropped for few hours during an afternoon - it did it when we were trying to compare the x20 and the x10 on the M66 then was back on for rush hour.

Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: