Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.. this begs the question... why dont the routes pick up the elevation data from the SatMap? This is what the Garmin 60CSx does (and i suspect all Garmins).. Elevation data is pickedup from GPS's map.

Like me, if you just must have elevation data with your routes on the SatMap from a MM created route.. you will need to (and its a pain):

1) Go to the Route on your SatMap
2) Switch to Edit Route mode
3) Place the pointed over each waypoint and without moving it, press the joystick in twice
4) Select Done when you have done this for all Waypoints on the route.
5) Your elevation profile appears.

My Tip: Just be picky about how many waypoints you put into your MM route thus cutting down the time to reedit them on your SatMap.

SatMap are aware of this problem and already thinking of ways to get around it. However, according to SatMap permission from OS may still need to be sought. I can understand SatMaps dilemma, they have a great product but like us all, they under the mercy of 'the great OS'.

TT GO920, Honda in-Car system, Garmin Oregon 550T + (OSGB 1:50k S.Eng), Garmin 60CSx, TT BT, QSTARZ QBT1000 Data Logger, MemoryMap v5 - Uk 1:50kOSG
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay1967 wrote:
So.. this begs the question... why dont the routes pick up the elevation data from the SatMap? This is what the Garmin 60CSx does (and i suspect all Garmins).. Elevation data is pickedup from GPS's map.

Like me, if you just must have elevation data with your routes on the SatMap from a MM created route.. you will need to (and its a pain):

1) Go to the Route on your SatMap
2) Switch to Edit Route mode
3) Place the pointed over each waypoint and without moving it, press the joystick in twice
4) Select Done when you have done this for all Waypoints on the route.
5) Your elevation profile appears..

Well that's an extension of what I was talking about on the previous page....the problem is that it whilst great as an experiment it completely defeats the object of creating a route on your PC and then transfering it with the software we've all been waiting since the dawn of time for.

I can well imagine that the OS would stop a map company's software putting OS elevation data in the GPX file (surely the file size would be potentially massive too unless elevation of the waypoint only was stored) but surely they would allow a GPX file from wherever, overlaid on to an OS electronic map, to display the relevant elevation data derived from that map.....what the hell do the OS think we are paying £100 for? Confused
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial thoughts on the new SatSync Beta 1.0.17: (17th Jan 08)

1. SatSync is now showing a more logical layout by showing just Internal Files and SD files (left & right windows)
2. GPX import has been improved but it is important to remember the SatSync looks at each gpx file as a ROUTE ONLY. As many already know, gpx files can store waypoints, tracks even media such as photos etc.

FWIW: I put forward a suggestion to SatMap to make the gpx translation programmable by the user, so the user can specify exactly what type of data they want in their gpx file i.e. Track Data, Waypoints, Routes etc.. thus making import results more predictable!

3. Help documentation has now been implemented.
4. Proceed button now visible on splash screen

still testing...

TT GO920, Honda in-Car system, Garmin Oregon 550T + (OSGB 1:50k S.Eng), Garmin 60CSx, TT BT, QSTARZ QBT1000 Data Logger, MemoryMap v5 - Uk 1:50kOSG
IanHibbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....How's progress? Also any word on software rel 1.05 (I hear they bypassed 1.04) or the web planner? I can phone them direct, but thought you may have some useful info. to hand.

Cheers
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: SatSYNC and software Reply with quote

I haven't been paying much attention lately and now have the feeling I've dropped out of the loop. I can't see anything on the official Satmap website relating to SatSYNC or any software updates. You chaps talking about release 1.05 and SatSYNC beta 1.0.17 - where did you get these from? Have you had them directly from Satmap after 'phone/e-mail communications?
IanHibbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, info. gleaned over the phone or in response to email - the words 'blood' and 'stone' spring to mind re: Satmap comms! They will offer to send you the Satsync beta if you want it, however just a simple email with realistic timescales for release of their developments would be nice...
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They will offer to send you the Satsync beta if you want it

Odd that. I did ask them in an e-mail last week but got no reply!
Satsync 1.525
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I'm using Satsync Beta I'm looking forward even more to the 'hidden route' firmware upgrade...my map's looking like a right old mess!! Confused

I expect the reason why they haven't started their forum (remember that idea?) is because Satsync isn't ready yet and they don't want hundreds of 'When will Satsync be ready?' posts.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
Quote:
They will offer to send you the Satsync beta if you want it

Odd that. I did ask them in an e-mail last week but got no reply!

It's quite a small sized file...I'll forward it on to you if you PM your email address.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what way has GPX importing been improved in 1.07, Jay?
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
In what way has GPX importing been improved in 1.07, Jay?

hello,

the gpx import function has been improved (I use this word tentatively) in that it can now translate a broader range of gpx files. As im sure you are aware, gpx is a transport that can contain a wide variety of information.

In my test I was able to bring in a gpx file from Geocaching.com and from one or two other sources (the later proved more successful) that I was unable to do with the earlier beta. However, there is a another problem. Not all gpx files are routes.. SatSync really needs to be told by the user what data is required in the gpx file. E.g I imported a load of GeoCaches around my post code but the SatMap showed them as a Route resulting in a mass of linked lines!

From what I hear, SM are working pretty hard at this so maybe the final release (planned sometime this century) we'll see some kind import method that can differentiate tracks, routes and waypoints within a gpx file.

one step forward...two steps...... !!!

kidstypike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone supply a screenshot of what a route looks like on the A10?

Many thanks
kidstypike
mitch67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks.

Got to say im getting a little grumpy now. Who do I need to bribe to get hold of a copy of the beta software?
Over the past month ive compiled about 10 mountain routes logged all over the country (well Lakes, Dales and Highlands. Cant seem to get the car to head south in winter) and would love to get them down loaded on to my pc. Connectivety was one of the selling points for me, to allow me to geotag photos and to generate route cards for future use.
Im currently on sick leave for a couple of weeks following an op so cant get out and would love to use the time productively.
Ive explained all this a couple of times to Satmap and theyve said... absolutely nothing. Not a jot. Zip. etc etc.
I'd call them but I've no voice following my op.
So my plea goes out to those with Satmaps ear.
Please can we have some transparancy? If its going to take a month to get satsync out then just say so or at least make a beta version available to all users. The same goes for all future additions, If there are problems please please please just tell people.
The unit itself has behaved faultlessly and has been a revelation and a pleasure to use.

Sorry about that, rant over.

Tony
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitch67 wrote:
Hi Folks.

Got to say im getting a little grumpy now. Who do I need to bribe to get hold of a copy of the beta software?
Over the past month ive compiled about 10 mountain routes logged all over the country (well Lakes, Dales and Highlands. Cant seem to get the car to head south in winter) and would love to get them down loaded on to my pc. Connectivety was one of the selling points for me, to allow me to geotag photos and to generate route cards for future use.
Im currently on sick leave for a couple of weeks following an op so cant get out and would love to use the time productively.
Ive explained all this a couple of times to Satmap and theyve said... absolutely nothing. Not a jot. Zip. etc etc.
I'd call them but I've no voice following my op.
So my plea goes out to those with Satmaps ear.
Please can we have some transparancy? If its going to take a month to get satsync out then just say so or at least make a beta version available to all users. The same goes for all future additions, If there are problems please please please just tell people.
The unit itself has behaved faultlessly and has been a revelation and a pleasure to use.

Sorry about that, rant over.

Tony

send me your email in a private message and ill send you the beta i have.

robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me your email address and you can have Satsync Beta.

Edit....go with Jay as I only have the previous version.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: