Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem with TomTom 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with TomTom 720
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
py6km
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem with my new GP 720. It happened after the first time I updated it; the application updated, and must have corrupted on install.

I fixed it by reinstalling the Application from Home. Even if it's already been installed, simply select the application from the left portion of the Home screen, and click install and it should reinstall it. Then restart as normal. mine worked after this.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

py6km wrote:
simply select the application from the left portion of the Home screen...

Sounds like you need to update to Home v2, py6km!
Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Home 2.2 and this has just happened to me. Deleted all the files (well cut and pasted to a new 'temp' dir) in the base directory and they haven't been replaced by update yet. I'll keep checking!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should grab some screen shots on how to do this, even though it will require putting Home on the PC Crying or Very sad

1/ Create a new folder on your PC

2/ Connect the TomTom and select Yes for it to connect to the PC

3/ Shut down TomTom Home on the PC (if it starts)

4/ Use Windows Explorer and locate the TomTom (it will have its own drive letter - click it to open it)

5/ Select all the files that are in the root of the drive letter, do not highlight any folders though

6/ With all files highlighted right click and select "Copy"

7/ Go to where you created the new folder in step one, right click and select "Paste"

8/ Once file transfer has taken place go back to the TomTom Drive letter using Windows Explorer

9/ Select all the files in the root of the drive (again) only this time press Delete

10/ Start TomTom Home and once it has found your device let it update the device by downloading and installing updates (including a new copy of 7,221 which is currently the correct version at the time of this reply)

11/ When this is complete disconnect the TomTom from the PC and make sure it works

12/ If you want the startup splash screens go to the folder you created in step one above on the PC and locate the three .bmp files and copy those back to the root of the device (they are the only bmp files that reside in the root of the device:

antitheftw.bmp
lowbatteryw.bmp
splashw.bmp

Mike

13/ If Home won't work and update your device you can recover it to a working machine by copying the files from the folder on the PC (step7 above) back to the root directory on the TomTom
Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

You're a good man for writing all that out, thanks very much! I had done this (Home starts fine) kept the files in the base directory (there was a recovered fragments file) and updated. Update works fine, but there are 'no updates'. I then copied all the files back to the TT but when asked to replace a file said no (to keep the new files).

Now, instead of halting at the start with that red cross, I get the splash screen and then the TT switches itself off. It is fully charged.

Hummmmmm.....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nords wrote:
(there was a recovered fragments file)

No there wasn't!
It is important to realise that the TomTom uses Linux at its core so many of the files do not use Windows naming conventions. You can use wIndows quite happily to move these files about but DON'T expect Windows to know what they are or what to do with them.

Windows uses the three letter extension ".chk" for "recovered file fragment" i.e. something left over on a disk after something dreadful has happened!

The TomTom uses the same three letter extension for all of its voice files. Totally different!
The only problem arises if you use some sort of "disk clean up and recovery" program for Windows which helpfully suggests you delete all these "useless fragments"!

Nords wrote:
Update works fine, but there are 'no updates'. I then copied all the files back to the TT but when asked to replace a file said no (to keep the new files).

Not sure what you are doing here, but it certainly doesn't soound like youre doing it right. If you have:
1. copied all the loose files to somewhere safe
2. deleted all the loose files
3. tried to do an update but not got anything, and then
4. tried to put the original files back,

then it shouldn't be asking you if you want to replace a file, because there shouldn't be any there!

Try going through Mikes instructions again, but there is one addition I would make...
In order to FORCE a new download of the latest software, you should also remove any previously downloaded TomTom software from the place on your PC that Home saves it to.
For Home v2 this means deleting (or prefereably just moving somewhere else) the contents of the C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\program folder.

If you don't do this, Home will try to use anything there rather than get a new version from the internet.

Last edited by Andy_P on Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the recovered file segments message, this is caused by Windows not understanding what the data.chk file is - never delete this file as it contains all the alert sounds used for POI warning and Traffic etc. - If this is missing the device will not boot up, re-installation from a download (as depicted above) will rescue the situation if you have indeed deleted the data.chk file

Assuming the data.chk file is in place it should be 4,050MB in size if you have a 720 running 7,221 software?

One easy trick to try though is a reset of the device with a pin, it might boot up and work correctly after that - Mike
Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! I didn't replace that (yep, just over 4Mb) as I thought it was just, well, old recovered file fragments! Laughing Out Loud

Will replace now and try a reset. Cheers!
Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it's working again. That point about deleting the stuff in the mydocs/hme/etc did the trick, I didn't even reset it.

Cheers!
Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, as already said, the deleting of the C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\program folder was the trick.

Just to explain this bit:
Andy_P2002 wrote:

Not sure what you are doing here, but it certainly doesn't soound like youre doing it right. If you have:
1. copied all the loose files to somewhere safe
2. deleted all the loose files
3. tried to do an update but not got anything, and then
4. tried to put the original files back,

then it shouldn't be asking you if you want to replace a file, because there shouldn't be any there!

There was a couple of files updated, but the 'no boot' problem still existed. I did 1 to 3, then copied the original files (to replace any missing files ie not updated) however I then intended to not overwrite with any older files from the originals to 'keep' the update.

No worries, all working, now backed up, mapshare switched off, PocketGPSWorld traffic sites added. Excellent!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: