Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem with TomTom 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with TomTom 720
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
browny23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Problem with TomTom 720 Reply with quote

Hey there recetnley bought a new 720 to replace my 510. I updated my new device this morning and I backed it up before hand for obvious reasons. However after it had finished updating, I clicked on disconnect device then unplugged my tomtom. But then my tomtom would load and instead just displayed a red cross. So I tried restting the tomtom, that didnt work. Also I plugged it back in and restored it to how it was. That also didnt work. TomTom Home says 2 The application version is not supported on this device" Which i was abit bewildered seing as it was working before I updated it but now it doesn't. So i thought about clearing everything off it but the problem is that I cant find the TomTom application version 7 anyway. Is there a reason why you cant just download this? Or is there a way around it or even a soloution to the problem.

Thanks in advance
EvilBeard_2008
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

This is my first time posting here and I'm actually looking for something else when I came across your post. I'll give a shot to help you out.

Do you have a memory card installed? remove it and see if the TT will boot.

If it boots normally then it's a compatibilty issue with the SD mem card. Fit a 2 gb max. Try Kingston or Memorex as they work.

Boot up TT home and re-install the TT application to the internal memory.

If that still doesn't work then I hope someone else comes up with a solution for you.

Chris
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you connect your TomTom to your PC, can you see device in "My Computer" and go through the folders there?

Also, I assume you used Home to do the backup. It's not the best way but you should find the backup in c:\Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backups. Keep looking through the folders there for one with the 'ttsystem' file.

If you've got that much, it should be possible to get back the system with your current backup.
Brodit ProClip mount
browny23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for replaying. No I dont have a memory card installed. when it is connected it does show up in my computer and i searched for the file but it wasnt there. I have taken a picture of what it shows when I turn it on:
browny23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to downlaod the tomtom application anywhere? because I think its missing and thats whats causing it not to load. If any version is available, would it update it to version 7? if someone could link me the downlaod for any version I could give it a try then.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect the device to the PC and using Windows Explorer delete all the files that are in the root of the card - don't touch any of the folders just the individual files.
When this is done connect the device to the PC and start TomTom Home, press check for updates (or whatever it is called this week) and the software will download the latest application from the TT Server and install it - Mike
browny23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive done that but it just says "There were no updates to install" any other ideas
Nodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browny, I had exactly the same problem. Mike's solution worked for me. The only thing I would add is that for some reason there are 3 .bmp files which do not get replaced. These are for the opening splash screen etc. So you may find you boot up straight into the menu when you turn it on. It's easy to fix though, just copy them from your backup to the root directory of your 720.

It seems to me there are a huge number of faulty 720s in circulation. The fault is with the microphone which prevents handsfree calling from working properly. This prevents the person who is calling you from hearing you properly. They just hear a buzz with your voice very faint in the background. If you have this problem you should take it back for a replacement.

The other thing to check is the POIs in your Help menu. If you look for your nearest police station and it tells you it's in France or in Ireland then you need to update these POIs. There's a link on this forum somewhere that takes you to the TomTom page to do this.

John
browny23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I did try his solution but it didnt work. I need the application software for the TomTom. could anyone point me to where i can download it or if they have a backup on their own computer they could send me please? I need this to be workin next week 'cos im goin down to wales!
Nodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

browny23 wrote:
Ive done that but it just says "There were no updates to install" any other ideas

I don't think you could have done it right. Are you sure you deleted all the files (NOT the folders or their contents) from the TomTom? It'll probably show as drive F or G in Windows Explorer.

The only other thing I can suggest is you check your version of TomTom Home. If you installed from the cd you may have an old version 1.6. You need the current version which is 2.1 (I think). You can't just update version 1.6 by going into it's help menu and check for updates because it will tell you that none are available. You need to uninstall it yourself and download the latest version from www.tomtom.com/home

John
browny23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nodge wrote:
browny23 wrote:

I don't think you could have done it right. Are you sure you deleted all the files (NOT the folders or their contents) from the TomTom? It'll probably show as drive F or G in Windows Explorer.

John

Yup i did it as it said, deleted just the files not the folders on the tomtom but that still didnt work just said "No updates available"
Nodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got Home version 2.1? If not, get it as per my previous post.

John
browny23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have have v2.1 but when i clicked on the TTHome icon in the taskbar tray bit, a screen popped up saying "The following updates are available" and the Application software was on it!!! Along with some other updates. So fingers crossed it should work. Ill let you know when its finished. Thank you all for the help, you have been amazing. WALES HERE I COME!!! Very Happy
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the same fault that occurred with my Tomtom720 I returned the unit for a refund .
I was disappointed because i really liked the 720 so I emailed Tomtom to find out why this happened the reply is below

The error you got meant that the Application file (that runs the map and menus) got corrupted, it is very easy to resolve the issue (see details below). The most common cause for this happening is either how you are disconnecting from PC, when disconnecting in TomTom Home always click on 'Device' and then 'Disconnect Device' and it will tell you when it is safe to unplug the device. It may have also been that when you updated your device the application got corrupted.
This solution can be used in the following situations:

• The device hangs in the start screen (splash screen)
• An SD-card with a red cross is displayed on the screen
• A picture with a red dot and white cross is displayed
• The device can’t be turned off

If you haven't already done so, please download and Install TomTom Home
If you don’t have a full backup of your TomTom yet we advise you to make one before continuing with the steps in this email. You can make a backup by following the steps below:( Edit * please refer to GerryC post which is below to back up in windows rather than home*)
1. Reset your TomTom device
and connect it to your computer.
2. Click on Backup and Restore Backup' in TomTom Home 2.0
3. Enter a name for the backup and click [OK]
• IMPORTANT: When the software is asking to delete parts from the backup click [NO]
After the backup is made you delete the files from the root directory of the TomTom. Follow the steps below to do this:
1. Reset your TomTom device
and connect it to your computer.
2. Open My Computer in Windows, or Finder in Macintosh from your desktop and turn on your TomTom device.
3. On your screen a new removable disk appears, this is your TomTom device, click on the disk to open it.
4. You will see a list of folders and a list of loose files
5. Delete all of the loose files. IMPORTANT: The folders with their content must NOT be deleted.
5. Close the window when all files are deleted by clicking on the [x].

Next we will reinstall the application via TomTom HOME.

1. Start TomTom HOME on your computer
TomTom Home should automatically check for updates and prompt you to install them, if not
2. Click on 'Update my device'. If you get the message 'No Items Available', or there is not an application to download, click on 'Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc Items on my computer', select the application and click on 'Add'.
3. Select the Application update.
4. Click on 'Device Disconnect Device' then turn off your device when it is done installing and disconnect it from your computer.
5. On a PC, in the System Tray by the computer clock, click on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon and disconnect the TomTom also in this way.

When switching on the device it should boot as normal again.

Please note I did not try this so if anybody uses this it is at there own risk but it may point somebody in the right direction
If this has been posted in a previous thread please accept my apologies and must add that I hope Tomtom has given me the correct information

Last edited by john877 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:57 am; edited 2 times in total
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the update worked for browny23 but just to re-iterate, you would be better backing up with Windows Explorer (see the FAQ option #1) before deleting files etc. If you want, do both. Smile

You are more likely to be able to see the files directly with Explorer than with Home even if it won't boot up. Good step-by-step you got there though john877. Thumbs Up
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: