Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rog62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djc_slip wrote:
Spoke to SATMAP on Thurs (10th Jan) - and he told me the release notes were being written for release next week.

Here's hoping!

In response to an e:mail I sent to Satmap last week about the availability of Satsync they have replied saying it will be available "very shortly" and that you will receive an update telling you it is ready if your Satmap has been registered.....
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd asked about the online planning facility and was told this should be available online in about 4 weeks realistically! and was told that reason this had been delayed was because everyone kept asking and pushing for the release and compatibility of SatSync! I guess when your under-staffed something has to give!

According to SatMap gpx compatibility has been a huge issue and they say (more or less) that they are trying to make it as compatible as possible with the wide array of different gpx schematics.. The beta copy of SatSync is really aimed at the memory-map owners so at least they can get files in and out of the SatMap. The final release (due any minute now!!) has incorporated the Garmin MapSource compatibility but to what extent, im not sure though the mention of Garmin Track (trk) Waypoint (wpt) files were targeted.

Personally I have now gone or the full GB OS 1:50k Memory Map as to keep the maps on my SatMap the same as my PC .. I couldn't help the temptation despite initial reluctance to buy into Memory map!

TT GO920, Honda in-Car system, Garmin Oregon 550T + (OSGB 1:50k S.Eng), Garmin 60CSx, TT BT, QSTARZ QBT1000 Data Logger, MemoryMap v5 - Uk 1:50kOSG

Last edited by Jay1967 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
djc_slip
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: reply from satmap: Reply with quote

Here's what SatMap said:

Quote:
Sat-sync should be ready and available to download from the website shortly. If you have registered your active10, you will receive an update telling you when the software is ready. I have been told it is very, very close to release.

Thank-you for your on going patience,
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Elevation Data from MM to SatMap Reply with quote

When creating a route in Memory map on 1:50k OSGB and transferring to SatMap, the elevation data seems to be lost. The route shows fine on the SatMap but the profile is just a flat line (this is on known hilly routes that should show significant elevation) Any ideas?

thanks

TT GO920, Honda in-Car system, Garmin Oregon 550T + (OSGB 1:50k S.Eng), Garmin 60CSx, TT BT, QSTARZ QBT1000 Data Logger, MemoryMap v5 - Uk 1:50kOSG
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevation Data from MM to SatMap Reply with quote

Jay1967 wrote:
When creating a route in Memory map on 1:50k OSGB and transferring to SatMap, the elevation data seems to be lost. The route shows fine on the SatMap but the profile is just a flat line (this is on known hilly routes that should show significant elevation) Any ideas?

thanks

Is this transfered to your Satmap using the beta version of SatSync that you have? Perhaps this is a bug that'll be fixed in the final release...(hint, hint, SatMap, if you're listening...)
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevation Data from MM to SatMap Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
Jay1967 wrote:

thanks

Is this transfered to your Satmap using the beta version of SatSync that you have? Perhaps this is a bug that'll be fixed in the final release...(hint, hint, SatMap, if you're listening...)

yes its the beta! ive checked the gpx file and the elevation data is missing! how are people getting the routes from MM into the SatMap with elevation data?

robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would've thought the Active 10 would work out the elevation data from it's own database rather than rely on elevation embedded in the GPX file but then I'm only guessing.

Have you tried editting the position of one or two of the waypoints to see if that alters the profile at all?
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
I would've thought the Active 10 would work out the elevation data from it's own database rather than rely on elevation embedded in the GPX file but then I'm only guessing.

Have you tried editting the position of one or two of the waypoints to see if that alters the profile at all?

uhhh no?! i just saved out a gpx file then opened it.. and thers NO elevation data.. so nothing to do with SatSync?!! Whats going on? Can memory map save elevation to gpx files?

Last edited by Jay1967 on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Satsync converts the MM route file rather than just transfers it?

Does it keep and display the names of the waypoints that you might have named them in MM?
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay1967 wrote:
robs1972 wrote:

uhhh no?! i just saved out a gpx file then opened it.. and thers NO elevation data.. so nothing to do with SatSync?!! Whats going on? Can memory map save elevation to gpx files?

There is a note in the FAQ on the help document that came with it to say:

The elevation profile on the route I’ve imported is flat.
The Memory Map .gpx files do not contain any elevation data, so this information is not available for the Active 10 to display.

So although this means another feature is impotent it is known about.

I've also just calmed down after reading: When you view the route on the Active 10 it will be called by the original name automatically given it by Memory Map. So even if you have changed the file name (e.g. to ‘XYZ’), it will appear on the Active 10 as, for example, ‘Route 18’.
Therefore for simplicity, it may be easier to keep the route name automatically assigned by Memory Map rather than changing it.
and found that when you create a route in Memory Map and at the time of saving name it 'XYZ' then it will appear as that on the A10 and not for example 'Route 18' so you can fully control the names of the routes that appear in the route menu and not have to rename them in the A10 as the first read of the above made me think.....phew!!
GeoffC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a SatMap unit but I've been following this with some interest for related matters.

It seems to me that MM is correct not to include elevation data in an exported GPX file for another application. MM's job is to specify the location of the route, as a series of points given by latitude and longitude (plus various optional features of points like assigned names etc.), but the elevations are the responsibility of the receiving software. When the receiving application plots the profile of the route, it must do so using its own elevation model.

It probably couldn't be done any other way, because in general, the two elevation models will be different. Even if MM did include its own elevation data for the points, there is nothing the receiving application could do with it.

Make sense?.
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoffC wrote:
Make sense?.

Yes, Memory Map route gpx files only contain lat and long, elevations should be provided by the device using it's own map data.

Memory Map track gpx files however contain everything recorded by the GPS i.e. GPS elevation and time as well as lat & long.
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:

I've also just calmed down after reading: When you view the route on the Active 10 it will be called by the original name automatically given it by Memory Map. So even if you have changed the file name (e.g. to ‘XYZ’), it will appear on the Active 10 as, for example, ‘Route 18’.
Therefore for simplicity, it may be easier to keep the route name automatically assigned by Memory Map rather than changing it.
and found that when you create a route in Memory Map and at the time of saving name it 'XYZ' then it will appear as that on the A10 and not for example 'Route 18' so you can fully control the names of the routes that appear in the route menu and not have to rename them in the A10 as the first read of the above made me think.....phew!!

Ahh no! It's not the filename you need to worry about.. forget that! Its the Route Property Name.. if you change this in memory map upon saving out your route.. Your Active 10 will have the SAME route name.

Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoffC wrote:
I don't have a SatMap unit but I've been following this with some interest for related matters.

It seems to me that MM is correct not to include elevation data in an exported GPX file for another application. MM's job is to specify the location of the route, as a series of points given by latitude and longitude (plus various optional features of points like assigned names etc.), but the elevations are the responsibility of the receiving software. When the receiving application plots the profile of the route, it must do so using its own elevation model.

It probably couldn't be done any other way, because in general, the two elevation models will be different. Even if MM did include its own elevation data for the points, there is nothing the receiving application could do with it.

Make sense?.

Memory Maps response to this query:

MM will not output elevation data in a GPX format due to licensing restrictions with OS.

So, thats he end of that one!

GeoffC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MM will not output elevation data in a GPX format due to licensing restrictions with OS.

Yes of course, I was so absorbed in the technical details that I forgot the obvious!.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: