Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay1967 wrote:
robs1972 wrote:
Export from where?

The Export function is under the File menu, File_Export. There is only one file menu. If I were you I would call SatMap and get the latest Beta copy if they are happy to release it to you as I did.

Wish u all the best.

I wish Satmap would take a leaf out of other gadget manufacturers' books, and make the beta version of Satsync available for download from the website, with the standard beta disclaimer on functionality and reliability (same goes for the firmware updates). Anything would be preferable to this total silence. For those who like phoning companies constantly to ask them questions about their product: fine, but most people don't have the time or inclination to do this (I don't), and to be honest, most companies whose business is technology have done their communicating with their customers primarily via the web for the best part of 10 years now. Mad
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
Jay1967 wrote:
robs1972 wrote:
Export from where?

The Export function is under the File menu, File_Export. There is only one file menu. If I were you I would call SatMap and get the latest Beta copy if they are happy to release it to you as I did.

Wish u all the best.

I wish Satmap would take a leaf out of other gadget manufacturers' books, and make the beta version of Satsync available for download from the website, with the standard beta disclaimer on functionality and reliability (same goes for the firmware updates). Anything would be preferable to this total silence. For those who like phoning companies constantly to ask them questions about their product: fine, but most people don't have the time or inclination to do this (I don't), and to be honest, most companies whose business is technology have done their communicating with their customers primarily via the web for the best part of 10 years now. Mad

I agree!

TT GO920, Honda in-Car system, Garmin Oregon 550T + (OSGB 1:50k S.Eng), Garmin 60CSx, TT BT, QSTARZ QBT1000 Data Logger, MemoryMap v5 - Uk 1:50kOSG
djc_slip
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke to SATMAP on Thurs (10th Jan) - and he told me the release notes were being written for release next week.

Here's hoping!
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djc_slip wrote:
Spoke to SATMAP on Thurs (10th Jan) - and he told me the release notes were being written for release next week.

Here's hoping!

with my beta copy it appears to ONLY to import gpx files created in MemoryMap. If I try to use any other gpx file (from other programs) it wont work. I dont own memory map so this is a big disappointment for me at the present time.

TT GO920, Honda in-Car system, Garmin Oregon 550T + (OSGB 1:50k S.Eng), Garmin 60CSx, TT BT, QSTARZ QBT1000 Data Logger, MemoryMap v5 - Uk 1:50kOSG
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay1967 wrote:
with my beta copy it appears to ONLY to import gpx files created in MemoryMap. If I try to use any other gpx file (from other programs) it wont work. I dont own memory map so this is a big disappointment for me at the present time.
I think this is a big problem for suppliers when Public Beta testing, anyone involved should be covered under a signed NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) to prevent leaks of information, it could be you have a Beta test copy of software that is nothing like the public release version.

Discussion of a products features or even hardware prior to the company formally releasing it is not a good idea, unless of course you work for the said company and have their express permission to release such information - Mike
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

For those people who don't own memory map, and just want to convert their existing library of .gpx files, download the 30-day free trial of MM and load/resave all your files.
If you need ongoing conversion, I'm afraid the cheapest legal option at the moment is to buy the cheapest map MM sell (I believe that's any of the Civil Aviation Authority VFR charts at £20.00 each) and you'll then get a fully-functional version of MM. Not ideal, I know....
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
For those people who don't own memory map, and just want to convert their existing library of .gpx files, download the 30-day free trial of MM and load/resave all your files.
If you need ongoing conversion, I'm afraid the cheapest legal option at the moment is to buy the cheapest map MM sell (I believe that's any of the Civil Aviation Authority VFR charts at £20.00 each) and you'll then get a fully-functional version of MM. Not ideal, I know....

thans for the tip but when i import/drag n drop files into mm it just says alost the same thing as he satmap did: Invalid gpx file?!

lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay1967 wrote:
lucevans wrote:

thans for the tip but when i import/drag n drop files into mm it just says alost the same thing as he satmap did: Invalid gpx file?!

Hmmm, where did your troublesome .gpx files come from originally? I've got the SMC Munro dataset in gpx format, and Memory Map 2004 allows me to open them without any problems. Which application have you been successfully using with these gpx files? Is it possible that it's that application that doesn't adhere 100% to the .gpx specification, rather than Satsync?
When SatSync eventually arrives, I'll try loading the SMC's original .gpx files onto the A10 first, but if that fails, at least I know that they'll open in MM, and that I can then re-save them as .gpx files from MM. Alternatively, as someone else has already said in this thread, it may be that the limited compatibility you've experienced is only an issue with the beta version you have.
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h, the gpx files are from all over the place so i dont think its aproblem with the files themselves. i.e I've download gpx's from Geocachng.com, from my datalogger (also gpx), from my Garmin 60CSx and from other net sources... all gpx files but none work when importing into MM or SatSync..im at a total loss! As you say maybe my beta, but satff at SatMap did say my beta version is about as final as it will get, i just have the Help file as a seperate word.doc.. thats it!

Im assuming that when i load mm, (i obviously have no maps for it) i can just import the gpx file into the BLANK window? Ive tried Drag n Drop but its still Hope n Pray! Laughing Out Loud

lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay1967 wrote:
h, the gpx files are from all over the place so i dont think its aproblem with the files themselves. i.e I've download gpx's from Geocachng.com, from my datalogger (also gpx), from my Garmin 60CSx and from other net sources... all gpx files but none work when importing into MM or SatSync..im at a total loss! As you say maybe my beta, but satff at SatMap did say my beta version is about as final as it will get, i just have the Help file as a seperate word.doc.. thats it!

Im assuming that when i load mm, (i obviously have no maps for it) i can just import the gpx file into the BLANK window? Ive tried Drag n Drop but its still Hope n Pray! Laughing Out Loud

I'm puzzled by this - I can import gpx files from my 60CSx with no problems at all. You say you have MM but no maps.....(1) which version of MM is it? (2)Do you at least have the "Welcome Screen" Map? (this comes with MM, I think, you don't have to have bought any mapping)
Assuming you can load the welcome screen "map", then goto overlay ---}import and change the filetype in the drop down box from the default memory-map overlay files (*.mmo) to GPS eXchange Files (*.gpx,*.xml) then locate one of your .gpx files and click open. The data in the gpx file should then be displayed on the welcome screen "map" and you should be able to maipulate the waypoints, tracks and routes contained within. You should also be able to save the data using overlay ---} export all, and again, you can specify the file format by selecting it in the save as type drop down list of the Save As dialogue box.
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
Jay1967 wrote:

I'm puzzled by this - I can import gpx files from my 60CSx with no problems at all. You say you have MM but no maps.....(1) which version of MM is it? (2)Do you at least have the "Welcome Screen" Map? (this comes with MM, I think, you don't have to have bought any mapping)
Assuming you can load the welcome screen "map", then goto overlay ---}import and change the filetype in the drop down box from the default memory-map overlay files (*.mmo) to GPS eXchange Files (*.gpx,*.xml) then locate one of your .gpx files and click open. The data in the gpx file should then be displayed on the welcome screen "map" and you should be able to maipulate the waypoints, tracks and routes contained within. You should also be able to save the data using overlay ---} export all, and again, you can specify the file format by selecting it in the save as type drop down list of the Save As dialogue box.

Thank you, I did what you said but when i tried to import it says "License not valid for LOC/GPX import" Im just trying to import gpx files on my desktop that were directly imported from my 60CSx.
I d/loaded the trial version of MM Today so its the latest version.

Paul_ffitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay1967: Given the error message you quoted, it sounds like the trial version of MemoryMap does not support the import of GPX files, whilst a purchased version presumably does.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thank you, I did what you said but when i tried to import it says "License not valid for LOC/GPX import" Im just trying to import gpx files on my desktop that were directly imported from my 60CSx.
I d/loaded the trial version of MM Today so its the latest version.

Ahh, it seems gpx import in the latest version of MM (V5) is knobbled until it is unlocked with a licence (which you'll get when you purchase a map). Perhaps MM realised people were using their software to do such things without buying any of their maps. In that case, I'm afraid, it's plan B, which is buy the cheapest map they sell just to get a licence to unlock the gpx import feature. Sad
Let's hope that SatMap iron out the compatibility issues in SatSync so that it can read a wide range of gpx files, or those users who haven't paid for Memory Map mapping will be no better-off than they are now...
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just loaded a gpx file into memory map 2004 then saved it without modification as a gpx file, then opened both versions side-by-side in notepad. Guess what...the data has been modified by MM.

Several discrepancies are immediately obvious- apart from changes to the name, symbol and comment fields, the original had an elevation parameter that Memory Map has ditched, and Memory Map has rounded the lat and lon parameters to 10 decimal places, whereas the original parameters were to 13 decimal places. If Satsync has been written specifically for the Memory Map format of data, maybe this is why gpx files from other sources don't work?
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
I've just loaded a gpx file into memory map 2004 then saved it without modification as a gpx file, then opened both versions side-by-side in notepad. Guess what...the data has been modified by MM.

Several discrepancies are immediately obvious- apart from changes to the name, symbol and comment fields, the original had an elevation parameter that Memory Map has ditched, and Memory Map has rounded the lat and lon parameters to 10 decimal places, whereas the original parameters were to 13 decimal places. If Satsync has been written specifically for the Memory Map format of data, maybe this is why gpx files from other sources don't work?

Ahh this is really interesting, is it possible you can get me these files because i can then experiment with coding the file myself in notepad! A lot of work maybe but i just want to now if i can do it. At least ill gewt some of my gps files in compared with ZERO gpx import ability at the moment!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: