Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman S90i
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman S90i
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveMatthews wrote:
The S90i has a four-pole 3.5mm mini-plug socket, rather than the more "standard" three-pole...

May I suggest you take a look at the std iphone head set, which has the 4ch plug on it. I am also aware of a series of adapters for the head sets as apple decided to make an unusual opening for the plug to fit into. I'm sure you could make use of one of the adapters.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveMatthews wrote:
Another quick question re TMC on the S90i. There is no indication of the expected delay period for each incident (where relevant). For example if you are travelling along a motorway and there has been an accident ahead, your decision whether to ask the unit to reroute will largely depend on how long it looks like you are going to be held up for. If it's only going to be five minutes, then it's probably worth proceeding as planned. But if it's going to be an hour, you'll almost certainly want to find an alternative route. The absence of this information on the S90i means you have no way of making an appropriate decision and therefore the advantages of TMC are largely undermined. The unit offers the option of automatic rerouting but according to the User Guide guide, it does so for each and every Traffic alert - for the vast majority of minor incidents (eg "Lane closed"), this is will be wholly inappropriate.

With this you have of course stumbled into the world of TMC. Traffic messaging is still not an exact science and is accasionally marred by false and inaccurate data, so you are therefore required to either believe the device and follow it blindly and tell all your mates how it got your arround a big traffic jam, or blindly march on only to find no traffic jam at all? On my icn750 the tmc displays average speed of the traffic and when the report was last updated, this and the use of a radio should give you the information you need. When the device starts a auto reroute you can select each reroute and cancel them idividually. "unavoid". So should you not be happy with the redirection of the s90i, you can ignore it.

DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Dom!...

Do we know if the iPhone adaptor will work correctly? As I said in my earlier post, four-pole sockets can be wired in a number of different ways.

Re TMC, you are quite correct in saying that you cannot always rely on the accuracy of the information but in my experience it's correct about 70% of the time. Either way delay period information is potentially very useful - particularly if there is no practical alternative route and you need to call somebody to let them know you're going to be late. You are right in suggesting that TMC data should be assessed in conjunction with local radio traffic news reports but I'm staggered that such an obviously useful piece of information should be omitted from a SatNav's TMC implementation. (TomTom provide it.)

(With a growing list of inexplicable functional omissions and other shortcomings, I am wondering whether to actually dump my S90i.)

--

Cheers,

Dave
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveMatthews wrote:
Do we know if the iPhone adaptor will work correctly? As I said in my earlier post, four-pole sockets can be wired in a number of different ways.

As the primary use for the iphone is audio then I haven't a clue but for experementation, a couple of quid could be well spent.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try making your own lead using one of These from Maplins, I am not too sure of the pin out for the Navman devices though - Mike
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike - I might give that a go. Smile
instop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Navman S90i reported problems Reply with quote

Hi There, just read with interest all the problems experienced with the S90i
especially TMC. I have been using mine for about 3weeks and apart from a few hiccups with loss of signal around Wiltshire it has worked fine. I have it mounted in my 407SW onto the centre air vent via an air freshener 4 pole clip (perfect install and removal) . The wire aerial I have run along the centre console and is mostly hidden.
Again contrary to most posts I have had an excellent response from Navman Support via email. Could not get TTS to speak street names on next turn. Navman suggested using "named voice", used Emily all is fine.
S90i is an excellent unit.
DCHudson281251
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: S90i TMC Reception Reply with quote

just bought a QT30H miniscan antenna for my MG-TF Mounted on the strip between the bootlid and the hood it gives me +2 bars on the strength meter over the supplied wire.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman S90i reported problems Reply with quote

instop wrote:
Hi There, just read with interest all the problems experienced with the S90i especially TMC.

As long as you are picking up a signal, it works very well in my experience other than the bizarre omission of projected delay period information.

instop wrote:

Could not get TTS to speak street names on next turn. Navman suggested using "named voice", used Emily all is fine.
S90i is an excellent unit.

That's another example of the poor production preparation by NavMan on this unit. For some reason they install a non-TTS voice file as the default - you have to use the NavDesk software (assuming you have access to a PC, that is) to override this with a TTS-capable one, as you have done. Not that it's clear from the softwared which are TTS and non-TTS voices and there's nothing in the accompanying documentation to guide you. I can only imagine NavMan are being swamped with calls about this. If you don't have a PC, then you can't use the TTS facility.
instop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to correct a minor error made by Dave, it is correct that the S90i does have a default voice file which when used does not offer TTS.

You do not need to connect to any software on the computer to select the alternative female voice of English UK Female (Emily). When selected the TTS will function, this is such a big plus when in unfamiliar areas.
Of course when you are driving an area which does not have named roads then you will be directed to the appropriate road No. if available ie A435. But as pointed out it did take an Email to Navman to find this out.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

instop wrote:

You do not need to connect to any software on the computer to select the alternative female voice of English UK Female (Emily). When selected the TTS will function

Ah - do you mean by using the "Preferences:Language" screen? If so, I did spot this but for the "English (UK)" language it still only offered me the option of "UK Male" and "UK Female" (the latter being the "default" one) as voice choices - neither of which is TTS-capable. It wasn't until I explicitly downloaded the "Emily" and "Daniel" voices from the NavDesk software did I get TTS. And, as discussed, none of this is explained in NavMan's dismal User Guide.

Perhaps TTS was a last-minute decision by NavMan and my unit was an early one which had not had the necessary voice files installed beforehand...?

It still doesn't explain, however, why non-TTS voices are still being installed on the S90i - what's the point of them?

--

Cheers,

Dave
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow-up to the possibility of using an iPhone audio adaptor to overcome the silly four-pole design of the TMC socket on the Navman range. I bought an adaptor but it does NOT solve the problem of the unit muting. At first I thought it must be because the shield (earth) and first ring (headphone output) were shorted together within the adaptor but this doesn't seem to be the case, so it's a bit of a mystery.

Either way I'm going to try patching together an adaptor of my own.

--

Cheers

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: