Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 920T - User review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 920T - User review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: TomTom 920T - User review Reply with quote

The TomTom 920T was available on 7th December (2007) and I had mine delivered that evening. I had previously used TomTom on a PDA (HPx4700) so I was accustomed to all of TomTom's quirks (yes there are some!) and also a large screen.

First use is intuitive and the software installed easily on my computer. Setup of basic functions (Home address, password, preferences such as voice) was a doddle and I was interested to try out the computer voice which reads road signs and road names to you. Also the 'operate my TomTom from the computer' was easy to use and soon had my first 'Favorites' set. A brief trawl of the FAQ on the TomTom web site showed me how to transfer my favorite places, new Points of Interest and additional voices from my PDA. I linked my telephone to the unit with ease and in 5 minutes I had transferred my entire phone book. Dialling out and receiving calls is really easy.

I sat in my car for about 15 minutes setting up some of the other functions such as the Traffic RDS system and the FM transmitter (so I can hear the voice through my radio). All worked first time and well. One small downside is that I find the volume control a little erratic and often the shutdown settings are not maintained on startup. However, using the small remote control was the easiest way to put this right.

TomTom's route planning often leaves something to be desired and, as with my PDA TomTom satnav, it is always a good idea to preview your route on a map before journeying so you have no surprises en-route. The GPS Fix function that is downloaded via the cradle and TomTom Home software means that GPS startup takes a very short time (less than 30 seconds). However you do need to update this every couple of days to ensure freshness.

I haven't tried out the USA maps yet but I have set up routes in Zurich just as easily as I set up routes in the UK. To say that the maps supplied are the latest means that TomTom take more than a year to record road changes. A particular village bypass and a new roundabout that I use are well past their first birthdays and have yet to appear on the map. TomTom gets confused by this and keeps trying to direct you back to the road in its memory. A free map update is granted but for only 90 days after purchase which seems a little mean to me.

The Mapshare feature was one of the persuaders for my purchase. This seems to be the best thing since sliced bread (what was the best thing before sliced bread?) but I still have not discovered how long it will take TomTom to update their maps and if this will be free to motorists who upload corrections.

Other features such as MP3 playing and photo slide shows await review. It appears that both MP3 files and Picture files must be in a specific directory in internal memory - it's a pity that they cannot be stored on an external (and swappable) SD card (which can carry extra maps). I would have thought that a change to the software would fix this (TomTom please note!). Also a battery charge level indicator in % or time left would be a bonus.

All in all an excellent device - clear screen, clear voice and (reasonably) accurate performance. All the gadget that you could ever want.

Hope you find this useful!

RTS
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put the audio files into a folder called mp3 in the root of the SD card and the device will find the extra music, the same goes for additional maps and pictures, so long as the files are in the correctly named folder in the root of an SD card the device will find them - Mike
RTS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for the rapid comment. I bet this advice appears somewhere else in the forums (that I have missed) but it is great that you take the time to respond to a novice.

Thanks again

RTS
jonb2010
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 920T - User review Reply with quote

RTS wrote:
functions such as the Traffic RDS system and the FM transmitter (so I can hear the voice through my radio).

Hi RTS, how clear is the phone use if you are using on the FM system via your radio ? TBH I didn't even know that you could do that, I thought it was limited to telephone output via the tomtom itself.

Could be an alternative to me getting a Parrot unit.

Have you had any feedback about how clear your voice is during a call ? Be interested to know as the microphone is obviously more of a distance than with a wired unit.
RTS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: TT Go 920T broadcast through FM to car radio Reply with quote

I have only tried this function by getting the TT to broadcast route instructions to my Radio. I haven't tried it with the hands free phone system (although I have used that with the TT speaker and BT connection to my phone - good!) I should imagine that feedback (whistle) would be a problem as the TT microphone would pick up the radio broadcast - I'll try it out and let you know.

RTS
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTS, don't waste your time, the phone audio can only be routed to the on board speaker, it is not possible (sadly) to have the phone audio via the FM TX in the device - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: