Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - map upgrade now no postcode search
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

map upgrade now no postcode search
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: postcodes Reply with quote

could not find the zip file on my 500 but i copied it from my 520 and all is well
Cheers
Rob
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately, what they sent was EVEN OLDER than the one he had already!
They sent **Version 504** and he already had Version 603 with his v660 maps from around January 2006, so installing their "update" would have made matters worse not better.

How do you what version you have got because tomtom has sent me the postal codes for GB & Netherlands but cant seem to find out what version they are ?.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the supplied files will be one called Great_BritainPostal.ver right click this and choose Open with, select Note Pad or Word Pad to view the file and it will reveal the version - Mike
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
With the supplied files will be one called Great_BritainPostal.ver right click this and choose Open with, select Note Pad or Word Pad to view the file and it will reveal the version - Mike

hey your good !!! Laughing
Many thanks & have a happy new year
pilk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Barely any memory left on one xl after map upgrade. Reply with quote

i've just bought the new europe map while the half price offer is still on, but it only fits onto my One XL Europe if I remove all of the extra items, eg voices, itineraries, screens etc. i've had to throw away loads of cherished bits of the set up i built up over this last year Sad
There is a slot for a memory card on this unit. If i buy a card and install everything onto that, will i see a reduction in performance in any way? I don't believe that I can have some things on a memory card and other items on the internal memory.
Can anyone advise please?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can use an SD card in the slot, you will need a 2GB card and make sure the read speed is at least 150x cheaper cards are best avoided as they often don't work in the TomTom.
Once you have your new SD card copy everything from the Ones flash memory to the PC then on to the card FAQ #8 should explain how to copy a memory card, in your case you simply copy from the Flash drive, the FAQ page can be found Here
With all the files and folder on the card the device will boot from the card thus giving you all the options the new map has taken away due to the increased file size - Mike
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the card you want , I bought this because of the review about it working well with the tomtom & I can confirm it works a treat. Wink

Link edited for clarity - Oldboy
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Interested in your assertion that an SD card should be '150x read speed', whereas elsewhere in this forum there are several opinions that once a card is greater than ~50x read speed it is no longer the critical path in the data transfer/screen refresh. Can anyone shed more light on this? - I would accept that the SD card could be the bottleneck in the more recent PND units, but it seems unlikely for the older ones, given what cards (and prices!) were common even just 2 years ago.

The other point is that there are many claims made for read speed of cards but I've never seen recent definitive tests; about a year or so ago I came across a website (US I think) which had done some tests on cards and, surprise, the actual v claimed speeds were 'not totally aligned.'
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By stating x150 this is a speed I know that works, I am sure that others have slower cards working on TomTom devices but these days with memory cards so cheap why try and spend a few quid less only to then end up potentially with a non working device due to a poor quality card - its a gamble I just could be bothered to take.

You should also consider the older devices are now often upgraded to the newer versions of software and mapping, so the card speed can become a major issue - Mike
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike; agree totally with your point about using a 'good quality card'; but to re-iterate my warning that a claimed speed from a less well-known manufacturer may not be correct. I saw that a certain Channel Islands based web site was advertising a card as 150x when the illustration was of a card which is much, much more modestly rated. I e-mailed a query and then.....a few days later and their claimed speed figure had been removed!

Would also agree that more efficient software (which may or may not coincide with updates!) might mean the card speed is more critical, but then again it might be internal hardware limited.

One thing I'm sure we agree on - asking TT Tech Support for the detailed, definitive answer to this would likely be painful and protracted (and unsuccessful?)
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question - how much "writing to" cards occurs inside the various TomTom devices? In other words, does WRITE speed matter?

What if the device is used solely for storing music, photos, etc? I notice that when reading these various files, a zero byte *.pos file is generally created. Not sure what purpose this serves as at zero bytes it does not seem to store index or any other information.
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write speed is, I believe, largely irrelevant because only user-entered data eg itineraries, favourites, calculated routes (ie those things written in 'slow time') are written to the card. Virtually all of the data traffic during driving will be from the card to the processor and then to the screen, ie just reading from the card. And I'd guess that virtually all of this is reading the map data.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're all guessing to a certain extent and going from personal experience because as "Nuke them all" says, getting a definitive answer from TomTom is impossible.

But I think the write speed IS significant. In the early days Go300s etc used to have a tendency to re-boot in the middle of navigating if there wasn't enough free space on the SD card, and we believed that it was because the TT used the free space as additional cache memory whihle working out routes.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The software is continually writing the current position to storage memory.

Turn the Device off part way through a route and then on again a few minutes later, it will try to calculate the route from where you turned it off .... until it gets a new fix.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy; do you think the software writes to the card or (and I tend to think this is more likely) to the internal memory?
Read and write speeds of cards are highly-correlated anyway, and also with card brand (and price!). Reports of card failure or image corruption (eg look at some photography sites such as Digital Photography Review) seem to correlate very much with cheap cards.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: