Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Reporting Errors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Reporting Errors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Map Reporting Errors Reply with quote

Just a thought, but maybe a sticky post should be created in this area and everyone can post errors to any of their mapping software. This can be revisited in 6 months times to see how many changes have been implemented.

It seems PocketGPS representatives get invited to attend TeleAtlas events and maybe they can take the list and ask them what they are doing to keep the users happy.

e.g. why should people keep reporting errors if they are not being corrected. It's for the benefit of everyone and we are doing TeleAtlas job for them so they should show some appreciation and correct the mapping ASAP.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do act on reports but bear in mind that a report is just an alert to the map provider that an issue needs investigation. They don't correct the map on the basis of a user report.

They have to grade the issue for urgency, if deemed very urgent they'll task a survey team quickly, if not they'll mark it for closer investigation on the next scheduled survey which could be many months away. With a finite number of survey teams they can only be in so many places at once!
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought it be good to see how many errors people report and on average what time they take to correct them. Also be good for people with Waypoint as if someone is a trusted user they can add these points in.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
They do act on reports but bear in mind that a report is just an alert to the map provider that an issue needs investigation. They don't correct the map on the basis of a user report.

They have to grade the issue for urgency, if deemed very urgent they'll task a survey team quickly, if not they'll mark it for closer investigation on the next scheduled survey which could be many months away. With a finite number of survey teams they can only be in so many places at once!

How is it possible then that a road in my area which has been closed for the last 20 years is still shown on the latest 2007 maps. I'm really beginning to question the quality of TeleAtlas maps when it can show roads which have been closed for years and numerous reports of this issue seem to have gone ignored. Personally I hope that the mapping data improves if TomTom or Garmin buy TeleAtlas.
fullrotation
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just changed my tt one v2 for a tt 520 now i am not sure what map system is in either but the new 520 does not have any mini roundabouts for St Austell.

Also with map share i edit and move petrol stations to their correct positions. Then when i update the map all all the errors are back again. Whats the use in updating maps if we are thrown back the errors.

I now have to start again from scratch.

Can anyone tell me how to name an unknown road with 520.

Many thanks.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fullrotation wrote:
I have just changed my tt one v2 for a tt 520 now i am not sure what map system is in either but the new 520 does not have any mini roundabouts for St Austell.

Also with map share i edit and move petrol stations to their correct positions. Then when i update the map all all the errors are back again. Whats the use in updating maps if we are thrown back the errors.

Can anyone tell me how to name an unknown road with 520.

Many thanks.
Have you selected to use corrections to POIs made by you? If not, your corrections won't appear on your device.

Road name = Map Corrections ... Edit Street Name ... On Map. Select the road with your cursor, then... Done, then ... Change the name.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fullrotation wrote:

If you mean that you have bought an updated map and the changes you made are not there, it's because mapshare updates relate only to the current map.

Mapshare is still a new facility so changes being kept over upgrades may be something that will happen in the future.
Brodit ProClip mount
fullrotation
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly GerryC.
You have to think wether it is worthwile using mapshare or just stick to the map updates. Because you cannot combine the two.

You are stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea. You want to put so much into Mapshare, but do'nt want to loose all your input on map upgrades. Wich you also want.
rustysven
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: MIO C250 and TeleAtlas Reply with quote

I have a MIO C250 that uses Teleatlas, I have the latest maps on it, and it is still wildly inacurate, I live in Alton, Hants, the High St has been one way for over 10 years, yet Teleatlas still have not updated.

Also the A1 near Newcatle, when I drive up it the maps show me driving across fields.

Does anyone know if things are going to improve with TeleAtlas?
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like a great idea, pity it wasn't taken up by site Admin. Crying or Very sad

You really do have to question the motives of a company that does nothing but supply mapping data but appears to show no interest whatsoever in doing it properly. Maybe the key to this is the amount of money that SatNav companies are prepared to pay?

At one time I used to believe that TomTom were at fault for buying old map data at a knock down price & passing it off as the "latest". Now that TeleAtlas' "current" data is viewable online, it's patently not the case.

I'll kick this off by nominating the "junction" of the (new) A130 & the A127 between Basildon & Rayleigh in Essex. Navteq have this correctly shown as the A130 passing over the A127 here.

According to TeleAtlas, there is a roundabout here. IIRC this road was completed in February 2003 & I have personally reported it at least half a dozen times. Rolling Eyes

It's because of these unaddressed errors that I refuse to pay for so called map updates.

Shame this forum seems something of a ghost town....
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also sent in corrections for Jcn 2 on the M2 in kent, this was shown correctly on TT map ver 562 but has been wrong on every subsequent update. When I sent in the correction I also sent a section of the 2004 OS map and a current(then) aerial photo. This was about 18 months ago and the latest map on a workmates TT (W C Europe 720) is still wrong.
I would have classed this as very urgent because if you leave the M2 eastbound to join the A228 it takes you down the sliproad(correct) and then sends you back up the entry slip and tells you to turn left onto a non existant road. You then have to go all the way to Jcn 3 and come back again a round trip of 7.5 miles. Also the new section of the A228 which bypasses Hoo is still not showing even though the Navteq map 675 does show it (I think this map is at least a year old!!(They have also been told about this when the road opened 2 years ago)

theripper

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: