Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Jailed for 2 years if using GPS while driving
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Jailed for 2 years if using GPS while driving
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if1977 wrote:
So why is using your GPS any different from your radio as you are doing it when you want to and is less of a destraction than a mobile phone.

It's not. The law could be applied to any action which resulted in poor driving. It matters not whether you were sending a text message, entering an address on a SatNav or tuning your radio.
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Driving in The States Reply with quote

Kar98 wrote:
stuart wrote:
In the US of A its OK to use a mobile phone, Satnav, smoke, drink and do almost anything behind the wheel.

Depends on the state.

Quote:
But their roads are wider and speed limits lower.

The roads y'all would call "motorways" are less wide (per lane) than German ones. Speed limits on these vary between 55 and 80 mph. Within city limits, speed limits vary roughly between 20 (in front of schools, only during certain times) and 45 mph, with an average of 40 in through streets and 30 in residential neighborhoods.

Also, automated speed cameras are pretty much illegal in all civilized states (i.e. excepting Arizona, California, Colorado, Maryland, Massachusetts, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, and the District of Columbia as of November 2007). Red light cameras keep popping up though.

On the other hand, radar detectors are legal to use except in Virginia.

Kar98 Thanks for the update in US Highways
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a NON handsfree mobile phone whilst driving (in control of a vehicle) is a DEFINITIVE violation (brought in about a year ago, carrying points and fine). Anything other than that may be classed as "Driving without due care and attention". Tuning a radio, grooming ones hair etc is NOT a definitive violation, but you may be charged under the above ( due Care and Attention).

Maybe if more people were stopped for using a mobile NON handsfree, it would be taken more serioulsy. I see 'em everyday. "Fag" in one hand, mobile in the other.

Why?? Aren't Bluetooth earpieces/sets so cheap nowadays??

That's my seasonal grumble sorted ;-)

Mery Chrimble one and all.

Cheers
Mv710.1561(W Europe)+Traffic, N82 connection to GPRS traffic
+
xant14
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there should be a deterent to Censored weaving about fiddling with thier sat navs, I know they are a good thing, and wonder how we managed before without them, but especially when you have just bought your new toy you are curious as to what they can do. When I first bought my tomtom910 year gone April, I mounted a kerb with my caravan, missus and kid in car fiddling with it. It was new, a novelty. now I only weave about a bit when fiddling coz I know what buttons to press.
I guarentee straight after christmas there will be a spate of crashes due to sat nav fiddling.

on the 910 there is an option to turn off 'fiddling' at a certain speed. I can imagine it coming in as a pernament feature. I will personally keep my back up just in case.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot understand people using mobile phones hand held. When I first joined the ranks of whitevanman NINE YEARS AGO, the very first time I used the mobile hand held I knew it was not for me and went straight out and bought a hands free kit. I've used them ever since. I had discovered that roundabouts and gear changes were a serious problem with a phone in my ear and hand. I never go out alone without the hands free facility of my TomTom. On the rare occasions when I go without it but WITH Vera, she answers it.

Anybody driving with hand held mobile phone should be dealt with severely. Just one problem - not enough enforcement capacity in the police. They need another special concentrated exercise to bring the profile up again - this time actually put somebody in jail, actually give them megga points, take their driving licences away, BUT MOST OF ALL confiscate (and crush) the phone on the spot. The police DO have the power to seize something used illegally.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
confiscate (and crush) the phone on the spot.

Laughing Clap
xant14
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effective, yes, but what a waste... same as crushing these mini motos etc for causing a nuisance, smashing gallons of spirits siezed from a booze cruise....
why not, sell it, and use the money to good causes, I fail to see how 'vandelism' even from the 'good guys' is good.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xant14 wrote:
Effective, yes, but what a waste... same as crushing these mini motos etc for causing a nuisance, smashing gallons of spirits siezed from a booze cruise....
why not, sell it, and use the money to good causes, I fail to see how 'vandelism' even from the 'good guys' is good.

Oh yeah, good idea; because our American seizure and asset forfeiture laws aren't getting abused at all. Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xant14 wrote:
Sort of similar to going into business as back street car sales, Psst fancy a bottle of cheap booze, anybody want a cute phone? Nope. Straightforward seize and crush - with phones that's particularly good - they lose their phonebook which is probably far more valuable (to them) than the phone! More preventive than taking away their driving licence - they can (and do) simply drive without one. With their sim card gone, they've really dipped out for phoning round to tell everybody what a ***** the law is for seizing their phone. Twisted Evil I would make this compulsory for hand held phone offences - no 2nd chances, no negotiation. I'd bet it would be far more effective than £60 and 3 points. Just imagine the publicity for the very first phone seized and destroyed. All the protests that they've lost the phone number of their sick grannie in Siberia, their pet dog's favourite walker etc, etc. I'd allow them ONE phone call using the phone, then CRUNCH!

Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, dude; overreact much? Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Git off yure horse and drink yure milluk! Laughing

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kar98 wrote:
Jesus, dude; overreact much? Rolling Eyes

I think this is why we're not allowed to own guns over here.... Gun Shoot Out Jumping With Joy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not allowed sharp things and have to use plastic knives and forks. Sad

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is hilarious. On 20th December the BBC ran a story Mobile phone driving jail threat, now they are running a new story Killer drivers could avoid jail with a sidebar link to a story from 18 months ago 'Tougher terms' for death drivers.

What ever will the Daily Mail readers make of all this? Laughing
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Driving Laws Reply with quote

Skippy...To be quite honest with you, nothing has really changed since the Road Traffic Act of 1972....Its the new guidelines for the CPS, Judges and Magistrates that have. Mitigating circumstances, which include momentary lapses of concentration, have always been present. But 'Community Service' or 'Curfews' are something new.....
Ummmm, very interesting. Police

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: