Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitch67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks great forum.
Im a newbie who's getting a satmap to for Christmas Smile to replace my ageing Garmin GPS38. One reason other than the OS mapping is to allow me to geotag my photos and log / plan routes which ive been doing manualy as my old 38 is non pc friendly. Having read the posts here im starting to worry ive been bought a pup as it appears satmap is also anti pc, despite the blurb on the web saying otherwise. Is this still the case?
Tony.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitch67 wrote:
Hi folks great forum.
Im a newbie who's getting a satmap to for Christmas Smile to replace my ageing Garmin GPS38. One reason other than the OS mapping is to allow me to geotag my photos and log / plan routes which ive been doing manualy as my old 38 is non pc friendly. Having read the posts here im starting to worry ive been bought a pup as it appears satmap is also anti pc, despite the blurb on the web saying otherwise. Is this still the case?
Tony.

If you'd read the posts here you'd know the software for transfering GPX routes from PC to A10 and back is on the way and is not 'anti PC'.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitch67 wrote:
............. it appears satmap is also anti pc, despite the blurb on the web saying otherwise. Is this still the case?
Tony.

They aren't deliberately avoiding the PC facility but have been promising for quite some time to provide software to link the Active 10 to a PC (to be called SatSYNC I believe.)

As I understand it, their original intention was to use the MS ActivSync application, but it seems that in practice this was not sufficiently compatible with the Active 10 software and did not operate reliably, so they've had to develop their own. I've been told this was in final testing and is to be released any day now. I am desperate to get it so that I can download tracks I've recorded on the A10 and upload past routes I want to ride again (I use it for cycling.)

As far as the route plotting facility is concerned I understand this will be web based but I've seen little said about this and no timescale for its delivery. I should be very sceptical about seeing this in the near future.

Many of us are also waiting for the advertised lithium polymer power kit, since battery life seems to be rather less than advertised, depending upon exactly what type of batteries you're using.
mitch67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that.
Fingers crossed.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
I am desperate to get it so that I can download tracks I've recorded on the A10 .

You can download the routes by putting the SD card in a reader and then copying them to your PC but sadly as we know you can't upload a track by doing that in reverse.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
You can download the routes by putting the SD card in a reader and then copying them to your PC but sadly as we know you can't upload a track by doing that in reverse.

Are you sure, robs1972, that you can do this? Have you actually done it? I recall (I think) being told over the 'phone by Richard Calthrop-Owen that this wasn't possible, at least with the proprietary Satmap SD cards (which I purchased.) Or perhaps I misunderstood what he was saying and he was referring only to uploading routes from PC to Active 10? If you have done it, was it with your own SD card that you loaded with a map download?
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can not paste a GPX file from your computer on to the Satmap SD card using a card reader and have it recognised by the Active 10.

But you can do a ride and have the Active 10 track it and at the end of the ride turn that track in to a route, internally move it to the SD card and then get that route on to your PC via a card reader.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
......... you can do a ride and have the Active 10 track it and at the end of the ride turn that track in to a route, internally move it to the SD card and then get that route on to your PC via a card reader.

OK, done that, but all I have is a file called: My Trail 1.map This is not a known file extension (except possibly for something called Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 2002 - ?) and I can't open it in either Garmin Mapsource or Memory Map. Am I missing something? Is there a tool to convert .map to .gpx or anything useful?
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm having one of those days....or rather I was having one of those days when I tried it when I first got the thing because it looks like I confused the copied .map file with a route plotted on Memory Map ages ago going over the same ground because trying it again with the ride I did today I'm not getting any joy.

Which now begs the question what kind of wacky route format does the Active 10 work in!!?? Confused
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
robs1972 wrote:
......... you can do a ride and have the Active 10 track it and at the end of the ride turn that track in to a route, internally move it to the SD card and then get that route on to your PC via a card reader.

OK, done that, but all I have is a file called: My Trail 1.map This is not a known file extension (except possibly for something called Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 2002 - ?) and I can't open it in either Garmin Mapsource or Memory Map. Am I missing something? Is there a tool to convert .map to .gpx or anything useful?

I tried the same thing 3 weeks ago, and it doesn't work. I even looked at the data format within the .map file and compared it with a .gpx file, and they are totally different (there's much more data in a .gpx, for those who are interested...) so it looks like we're all going to have to wait for Satmap to release Satsync to do the conversion for us....

Rob
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
........... Which now begs the question what kind of wacky route format does the Active 10 work in!!?? Confused

I can't say I'm surprised that we can't open the route files - Satmap have obviously based their business plan largely on selling lots of map software and have no doubt chosen/created a pretty impregnable format for their version of the OS mapping. Fair enough - you pays your money and takes your choice. But I'm getting seriously worried about the delay in getting the upload/download software and the lack of noise about the route planning facility. If they have run into insurmountable problems with this and it proves to be the case that I can never plot routes on my desktop and transfer them back and forth to the Active 10 then its going back for a full refund because for me that's an essential feature of the thing
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We found that ActiveSync was generally giving users of other (non Satmap) products some headaches, and we therefore decided to produce a simpler, more stable version

Right....who is going to volunteer to try and upload some GPX files using the current version of Activesync and see what happens? There's a couple of packs of Anadin Extra in it for you!! Very Happy
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but isn't .map a OziExplorer file type, it might be different and I haven't a SatMap to try it.

EDIT: I found this Ozi .map file on the net ..

Quote:
OziExplorer Map Data File Version 2.2
Cli0708.bmp
C:\naviguide\itmV3.2\map50\cli0708.bmp
1 ,Map Code,
israeli,WGS 84, 0.0000, 0.0000,WGS 84
Reserved 1
Reserved 2
Magnetic Variation,,,E
Map Projection,Transverse Mercator,PolyCal,No,AutoCalOnly,No,BSBUseWPX,No
Point01,xy, 0, 0,in, deg, , ,N, , ,E, grid, , 70000, 1080000,N
Point02,xy, 1171, 1171,in, deg, , ,N, , ,E, grid, , 80000, 1070000,N
Point03,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,N, , ,E, grid, , , ,N
Point04,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,N, , ,E, grid, , , ,N
Point05,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,N, , ,E, grid, , , ,N
Point06,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,N, , ,E, grid, , , ,N
Point07,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,N, , ,E, grid, , , ,N
Point08,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,N, , ,E, grid, , , ,N
Point09,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,N, , ,E, grid, , , ,N
Point10,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point11,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point12,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point13,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point14,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point15,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point16,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point17,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point18,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point19,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point20,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point21,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point22,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point23,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point24,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point25,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point26,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point27,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point28,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point29,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Point30,xy, , ,in, deg, , ,, , ,, grid, , , ,
Projection Setup, 31.734090000, 35.212060000, 1.000000000, 170251.00, 1126868.00,,,,,
Map Feature = MF ; Map Comment = MC These follow if they exist
Track File = TF These follow if they exist
Moving Map Parameters = MM? These follow if they exist
MM0,Yes
MMPNUM,4
MMPXY,1,0,0
MMPXY,2,1172,0
MMPXY,3,1172,1172
MMPXY,4,0,1172
MMPLL,1, 34.158996, 31.307075
MMPLL,2, 34.264116, 31.307894
MMPLL,3, 34.265017, 31.217637
MMPLL,4, 34.159998, 31.216821
MM1B,8.535066
MOP,Map Open Position,0,0
IWH,Map Image Width/Height,1172,1172

.. and also off the net ..

Quote:
in the OZI map file you find the projection parameters and the WGS84 coordinates of all 4 corners of the map tile. From the values of the corners you can calculate the values of the lat/long-box. Just add both northern values and divide the result by 2. the same with the eastern, southern and western values.
The projection values in the map file shows you the central meridian of the transverse mercator projection = 35.212° E. All tiles near the central meridian have the rotation value = 0 (zero). For each degree west of the central meridian you can add 0.5 degrees to the rotation value. For each degree east of the central meridian you can subtract 0.5 degrees from 360° as rotation value.

bluewomble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard anything from SatMap recently about the expected release date of SatSync? Planning routes on the Active10 is a bit of a pain without some kind of PC interface...
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluewomble wrote:
Has anyone heard anything from SatMap recently about the expected release date of SatSync? Planning routes on the Active10 is a bit of a pain without some kind of PC interface...

I'm really tempted to email them but I know that the answer will be....'it's being tested and if all goes well should be available next week as a download from our website'. Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: