Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help? Fortuna Clip-on - Toshiba e750BT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help? Fortuna Clip-on - Toshiba e750BT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digimate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Help? Fortuna Clip-on - Toshiba e750BT Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've a problem connecting my e750BT to this popular Fortuna Clip-on Bluetooth GPS receiver. It doesn't work!

It does work with my e740BT and with my NotebookPC and as far as I know with most other popular PocketPC's.

Both devices sees each other, they also exchange some data. I have given the correct PIN-code but after that the e750 'tells' me that the GPS-device stays in discover-status, it doesn't connect !!

The settings info:
Service Name: SPP Slave
Attribute: Remote Sever Service
Connection Status: Not Connected
Help: Serial Port
Device Name: ClipOn-BTGPS
Device Adress: 00:0a:3a:00:7c:4b

Service/Connected Device info:
=Blank

Please, is there anyone who can help me!

Anyone over there who is also working with this combination e750BT and ClipOn?
DICKY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:x I have also experienced the same type of problem with my Toshiba PDA (e800) whilst attempting to connect to the Fortuna clip-on using Blue Tooth.

I have posted a number of messages on several forums and have even logged calls with Toshiba and Fortuna with no effect.

More disappointingly I have also had a nightmare getting the Fortuna to lock onto satellites whilst driving even as a standalone unit (regardless of the mode selected).

Interestingly the unit does lock in well when used walking or when my car is stationary. I have tested the positioning accuracy using Auto route 2004 connected via a Bluetooth link to my Toshiba laptop.

In my opinion the Fortuna Clip On is completely unusable as a car navigation tool.

I would however be very interested to hear from anyone who has used the unit successfully as an in car device

I also suggest you go to the TomTom forum and have a look at a thread covering the e800 and TomTom 2 software and hardware.

Regards
mark

mark
Stubbsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: e750 and fortuna clip-on: same problem Reply with quote

I have the same problem:
PDA = Tosh e750 WiFi with Tosh's SDIO BlueTooth Card
GPS = Fortuna BT Clip-on
S/W = TTN2

BT pairing went as expected, with a message saying the SSP Slave Clip-on had been assigned to COM6.

I have upgraded to TT 3.01 GPS drivers and have tried every possible combination. With Bluetooth Card selected and any setting that allows it (such as Emtac Wireless), the Fortuna's blue BT light flashes when the GPS tick box is enabled and the Tosh's Bluetooth Settings Screen confirms that Connection Status=Connected with an Assigned Port=COM6:

Unfortunately, TTN2's GPS Status Window fails to recognise any data coming through: everything is blank - not satellites, no fix, no data transfer graphic from GPS to PDA.

Has anyone found a satisfactory resolution?

Is there a BT GPS that works well with the Tosh e750 and its BT SD card?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Another Crying or Very sad Mark!
DICKY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

My advice is send the bl##dy thing back and purchase a HAiCOM HI-303CF unit instead.

I have just done this and the combination works like a dream, even when positioned some distance back from the front windscreen. I am using the system with a Brodit Passive Holder and a Brodit Proclip. It’s a very neat solution and performs brilliantly even when used in built up areas, etc.

Interestingly the HI-303CF has an adjustable antenna which can be easily angled towards the windscreen.

The set-up was very easy and the end result with TomTom2 has been brilliant.

I purchased the unit from Total PDA Ltd, they are really switched on and VERY helpful. I suggest you speak to Valerie McDougall, 0141 8926529, unlike the idiots who recommended and sold me the Fortuna Clip On.

mark Thumbs Up
Flibb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the E750BT with the clip-on and hve found it to be great. I originally had problems getting the E750 and clip-on to connect properly, kept refusing the pin code. But took the battery out the fortuna for a bit, plugged it back in and worked. Accuracy wise am testing it using memorymap and its as good as my etrex plugged in to a laptop. Think the Toshiba BT can only talk to one device at a time, so had to stop activesysnc connecting via bluetooth. In car, again great, no probs on any routes. If your having problems with lag, make sure its in ST mode.
Jon
Stubbsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very big thanks to both Mark and Jon - a great team effort in resolving my problem. I read Mark's posting and thought dead right; it's going back - so took the battery out and packaged everything up. I then read Jon's posting and thought: alright, one more try ... and hey presto: everything worked.

Looks like taking the battery out of the Fortuna Clip-on did the trick. Took ages to get it's first fix but everything appears to be working, so I'll now be giving it a proper test.

One thing I realised when I first tried to pair them was that I had the Bluetooth on the E750 locked down in what Toshiba describes as Mobile mode - it could see the Fortuna Clip-on but wouldn't go as far as exchanging pairing keys. I knocked it back down to Home mode, paired the two devices and then put it back to Mobile mode.

One final thing to Jon: are you using Fortuna's car-charger to power the E750 - have you had any problems with over-charging?

Thanks again for all your help.
Now Happy Mark!
Flibb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an arkon powered mount that I use in car, and the usb plug that you get with the clip-on goes straight in to it. This seems to work ok, am very happy with the arkon. After around with the mount it now takes the proporta case the E750 lives in. Have also fitted a bluetooth usb dongle to my main PC rig so I can get online using the pda and sync without the cradle.
Jon
Flibb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an arkon powered mount that I use in car, and the usb plug that you get with the clip-on goes straight in to it. This seems to work ok, am very happy with the arkon. After around with the mount it now takes the proporta case the E750 lives in. Have also fitted a bluetooth usb dongle to my main PC rig so I can get online using the pda and sync without the cradle.
Jon
DICKY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark (and Jon),

I am really pleased that you have resolved the problem with the e750. After several postings it’s great to hear of someone having success with the Fortuna and the Tosh. I would however be very interested in hearing from anybody who has managed to get the unit working with an e800 and what I believe is a different Bluetooth manager.

mark
Happy
genuis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: e750 and fortuna clip-on: same problem Reply with quote

Stubbsy wrote:
I have the same problem:
PDA = Tosh e750 WiFi with Tosh's SDIO BlueTooth Card
GPS = Fortuna BT Clip-on
S/W = TTN2

BT pairing went as expected, with a message saying the SSP Slave Clip-on had been assigned to COM6.

Well there is your problem you should use COM 8 !!!

Exclamation Wink Exclamation Thumbs Up
SafeHarbor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Mapopolis Navigator on Pocket PC, we use COM 8 and 115200 baud rate, and we have never had a problem connecting.

We do generally have a problem with the default "ORD SRVY GB" datum, however, as our software uses the "WGS 84" datum.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: