Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman S90i
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman S90i
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taximike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Navman S90i Reply with quote

Signal problem solved. Connected TMC to my spare mag mount aerial that I used when I was on a two way taxi radio . Not always a good signal in the city centre but gives me the info I need. Went from Salisbury to Trowbridge this evening and a good signal all the way.

Taximike
Laughing
chiefknut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
I had trouble with my T1 traffic module at first. I had forgotten to dowmload the SmartST software from the CD ROM onto my N40i. Embarassed Once I had done that it has worked perfectly.
I hope this helps.

Andy.
taximike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: S90I TMC Reply with quote

Pleased your Navman is working OK Andy. Since I have connected it to the outside whip aerial I get a good signal most of the time. Would have like to have connected it to the car FM aerial but cannot find a splitter connector. Wink
lunatic1958
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: TMC, Bluetooth hands-free and map data Reply with quote

I have just bought the S90i and used it for the first time on Monday from a trip from Ipswich-Peterborough-Watford.

Until now, I have been using Co-Pilot on my XDA Orbit Mobile phone. With a plan to swap my phone, I thought I'd go for a SatNav and based my decision of the advertised features and TMC.

I managed to get the XDA to pair with the S90i. However, this was only after reinstalling the system on the box as I kept getting errors.

Even after pairing, I get no text messages shown AND I cannot use my Bluetooth earpiece at the same time. So what is the point?

When setting up the trip, the S90i failed recognise/find the road I wanted to go to in Peterborough. My XDA had no problem!

Within 15 mins of leaving my house, the S90i tried to get me to turn right at a turn left only junction!

Throughout the trip, the TMC only activated twice. Both times during a distance of 4 miles while on the M25!

So far I've found the 'support' to be seriously lacking and the FAQs a waste of time.

As things stand, I'm bitterly disappointed at paying £250 for something that only partially works.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: TMC, Bluetooth hands-free and map data Reply with quote

lunatic1958 wrote:
Even after pairing, I get no text messages shown AND I cannot use my Bluetooth earpiece at the same time. So what is the point?
Most phones only support 1 device acting as a handsfree, so with the XDA paired with the Navman, I would not expect the earpiece to work. This is likely to be a limitation of the phone, not the Navman, so don't blame everything on the Navman.

Quote:
When setting up the trip, the S90i failed recognise/find the road I wanted to go to in Peterborough. My XDA had no problem!

Within 15 mins of leaving my house, the S90i tried to get me to turn right at a turn left only junction!
There will always be a few errors in both mapping data providers - when you arrived in Peterborough, did the Navman have the road you wanted on the actual map (ie was the road missing, or was it simply an inability to find it?)

Quote:
Throughout the trip, the TMC only activated twice. Both times during a distance of 4 miles while on the M25!
TMC is unfortunately a little hit or miss, although the Navmans are normally better than this.
taximike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Navman S90i Reply with quote

I have been able to give the S90i a good test lately. I went from Salisbury to Wells, Somerset via Warminster. The mapping worked find and the TMC did it job well. I also went from Salisbury to Heathfield in East Sussex my route was A36, M27, A27, A26, A22. Again the mapping did it's job and the TMC work 85% of the way. Today been to Eastbourne from Salisbury Again the route was A36, M27, A27 all the way to Eastbourne. The S90i worked without any problems. I don't need to use the hands free kit as I already have one. I have tried the S90i with my phone and it works OK including SMS. My Phone is a Sony Ecisson K750i.
lunatic1958
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Concede a point, but... Reply with quote

Okay, I accept that the bluetooth limitation is down to the phone, but how does the hands free actually work? Where is the mic? And I STILL can't get text messages to display!

TMC - this appear to be pretty much 'luck of the draw'. I have wondered if the windscreen was hindering the reception, but I have a Jazz which has a standard screen I believe. Is there any specific way that I should attach the aerial to the screen? How much better it would be if there was a stick on screen aerial.

As for the technical support, I'm still waiting for a response. Seems like a touch of 'sell it, forget it'.
taximike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HANDSFREE (BLUETOOTH).
Go menu 2 on your S90i where you will see the phone icon. Tap the icon, then press setup icon, you will then see the bluetooth icon is set to off. Press the icon so it says on, then press handsfree icon then take it from there. Don’t forget to make sure your moble is switch on for bluetooth. The mic is on the front (ie: it is bult in).

TMC
Some good advice about this subject has been written about on the posts. It thanks to the advice from others that I got my TMC working, having said that, I was somewhat surprised it worked with my whip aerial.

Good luck.
lunatic1958
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Thanks, however.... Reply with quote

...I have already successfully paired the S90i and my XDA Orbit. My problems are:

1. How does the mic work when paired? I get the impression from the documentation that I can use the S90i as and iterface to the phone, but I'm a little confused! Do I also need to turn my phone onto loud-speaker?

2. I still haven't managed to get texts to display on the S90i.

TMC - update

I travelled from Watford to Ipswich today and the TMC displayed as connected until I got onto the A12, the it never showed as connected again. Flaky or what. Are othe SatNavs this flaky when it comes to Traffic? Is TMC tied into those blue traffic sensors we see everywhere?
taximike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you are paired, the S90i works like any other bluetooth. Just talk and the S90i will pick your voice up, you will hear the callers voice through the S90i speaker. (It just like having a bluetooth headset). I tried my Nokia 6151 today. It paired Ok (including address book) but the Navman could not receive SMS unlike my Sony Ecicsson.

TMC. Going by what others have had to say on this sit it would seem other satnav makes have the same problem.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks, however.... Reply with quote

lunatic1958 wrote:

2. I still haven't managed to get texts to display on the S90i.

My experience with my nuvi 660 seems to show that the newer the phone the fewer BT 'features' work. My Nokia 6230 does everything (automatically updated contacts list, SMS texts displayed and read by TTS system, display of signal strength and battery status). My newest (Nokia N80) just does bog standard hands free with support for the contact list requiring an application running on the phone - hardly sparkling. However some of this is to be laid at the phone manufs door. They have been known to tweak the BT spec to better support their own products.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, none of the Symbian phones seem to support access to the phonebook. I've no idea if this is a limitation of Symbian, an oversight, or an issue with Parrot / Garmin, but you buy these top end phones and get less functionality than your older cheaper, more basic phone.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing - that appears to be true. However you can download an application to run on the Symbian Nokias from the Nokia website which makes them work with the nokia 810 hands free unit - which is Parrot based as is the nuvi. Having this running all the time on the phone seems to keep the contact list updated on the nuvi. However I have reverted to using my Nokia 6310 asit seems to work 100%.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys and gals,

I'm using an antenna Y-splitter (that I originally bought for use with my old Navigon MN4) which comes with an RCA/phono plug...

The S90i has a four-pole 3.5mm mini-plug socket, rather than the more "standard" three-pole (left / right / earth) design. I assume this is because it doubles-up as a headphones output (cheapskates!). I've been unable to find a suitable plug adaptor. If I use a three-pole plug adaptor, I can pick up TMC signals but vocal instructions are muted - presumably because the unit is outputting them to the TMC/headphones socket...

I have found, however, that if I use a RCA to 3.5mm mono (ie two-pole) plug adaptor fully inserted into the socket as normal but then pulled back out a millimatre or so, I can get TMC and can hear vocal instructions as normal...

That seems to be a reasonable workaround but naturally I'd prefer to find a suitable plug adaptor. Looking at various websites (Maplin, RS, etc), they don't seem to exist. I suppose I could always chop off the (moulded) RCA plug on the Y-splitter and replace it with a 4-pole plug but I'd rather not do that in case I need to revert to using my old Navigon MN4 for any reason.

--

Cheers,

Dave
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again!

Another quick question re TMC on the S90i. There is no indication of the expected delay period for each incident (where relevant). For example if you are travelling along a motorway and there has been an accident ahead, your decision whether to ask the unit to reroute will largely depend on how long it looks like you are going to be held up for. If it's only going to be five minutes, then it's probably worth proceeding as planned. But if it's going to be an hour, you'll almost certainly want to find an alternative route. The absence of this information on the S90i means you have no way of making an appropriate decision and therefore the advantages of TMC are largely undermined. The unit offers the option of automatic rerouting but according to the User Guide guide, it does so for each and every Traffic alert - for the vast majority of minor incidents (eg "Lane closed"), this is will be wholly inappropriate.

Or have I misunderstood the way it works?

--

Cheers

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: