Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - delorme xmap 4.5?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

delorme xmap 4.5?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: delorme xmap 4.5? Reply with quote

has anyone used this, and if so, what were your comments?

Thanks
clp
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the desktop program or about using the maps with SA 2004 PPC ?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
clp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,
desktop for planning, add in module for pda.

my current package is ipaq 2215, transplant LP CF GPS, Maptech Terrain Nav Pro, Memory Map, Corpscon (for lat/long conversions)

Ideally, I would want to use the quads & DOQQ that I have, or have access to.
just looking to get all the tools in one toolbox, instead of 3..

Clp
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you talk about DOQQ I assume you live in the US (maybe you can update your profile).

I have used both Maptech PocketNavigator and the Delorme SA 2004 PocketPC with the Xmap topo maps. I was not truly impressed by either package, but I think the Maptech package was slightly better. If you are really serious about getting a "all in one" toolbox then you'll have to look at OziExplorer or other packages that use nonproprietory maps (basically BMP or JPG files) and allow to either calibrate them in the device or to import existing calibration info.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
clp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,
I'm a surveyor, and I use Terrain Nav pro for these features:
display of diffrent marks & routes for separate projects, as well as a overall view, avaiability of DOQQ photos in a side by side view with a quad, same scales. export of maps to other applications in tiff format, map reprojections when necessary, creation of marks and routes in state plane coordinates, benchmark retrevial, editing of routes by bearing/ distance of the legs (decimal degrees currently, would prefer degree, min, sec, quadrants instead of decimal degrees & azimuth)large format plotting,range rings, and distance tool, changing routes color that they show up on DOQQ, and exporting marks & routes to send to pda

I use Memory map (desktop) for these features
map calibrations, sending maps & routes to pda, importing routes & marks created in TNP, merging maps, sending visible areas of maps to pda, sending the DOQQ from TNP to MM

I use memory map (PPC) Nav for field display of maps, setting waypoints on objects, getting distances from waypoints, navigating to waypoints,

I use Corpscon for conversions between lat/long & state plane, nad 83 &nad 27, batch output of files to import to TNP

I can transfer to cad, & back, with this setup, but it takes a few more steps,

I've got enough to do the job, but the tools are in several toolboxes, and mainly act as workarounds to what I can't do inside the assorted programs. maps are duplicated, as well as other functions.

I'm using this as preliminary recon work for navigation around the boundary, finding corners, & setting up my control only, and completing the project in another application.

so I was wondering where xmap stands up to this combination. as I know what fugawi, & Ozi can do, as well as gpsutility
Thanks
Charles
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say forget about Xmap. Use Maptech instead. (I guess that's what you refer to as MemoryMap). I don't think there is an all-in-one package for your needs, though... Time to write your own Confused

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
clp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lutz,
thanks for the input, as far as memory map, actually more functional than Maptech Pocket Navigator, works the same, but mainly using as pda application. Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro, for the desktop solution, as this is the best they will integrate.

Charles

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: